3-17-2021

Discussion in 'Changelog' started by robregen, Mar 17, 2021.

1. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

Code:
    Solar

* Fixed Doors in zones that only have 1 door.
    * tweak quiver haste calculation

Script:
    Robregen

* Dalnir: Added a missing Quest involving iksar prisoner
    * Shar Vahl: Correct text and reward for Shar Vahl Beastlord Cloak #2

Lyrina likes this.
  2. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

ooooo interesting. Was something broken with it?

3. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

He didn't like my calculation.

4. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Navmesh still in or out for now?

5. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Supposed to be 1/3 of Weight Reduction, if I recall correctly.

6. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

The range attack button is mostly client side, so I doubt you'll notice much difference, but the server also tracks it. In theory there won't be any skipped or doubled up shots, but there's also lag.
    Fleeting Quiver gives a 15% bonus (1/4 of 60). It's not additive with worn and spell haste, it's an additional factor that gets added after normal haste.

7. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Unless Ak was different than live, that is not correct, should be 1/3 of WR. It's additive to all haste, but only as far as archery goes, does not affect weapon swing rate at all.

8. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=6186
    from: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/fleeting-quivers.236536/
    Lots more evidence than that out there, that's juts a sample. Maybe Ak was different though.

showstring likes this.
  9. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Uh, no idea why that reddit link did that, and can't edit or delete my post, so. THe point from the reddit post was

10. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

Yea. I’ve always heard/read (where I would how to look) that it was a third. Fleeting to me has always been 20% bonus haste.

11. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

some information I could find in addition to above posts
    some things I'm unsure about, but it's definitely 20% haste though (1/3 of 60% weight reduction)

https://i.imgur.com/NyRB5kD.png

[​IMG]

Cadsuane likes this.
  12. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

13. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

If it's client side, the client is gonna do what the client is gonna do. No?

I'm thinking that @solar is merely explaining the client behavior, which is not something that can be changed.

It would seem that the change is only to help with client/server sync when shooting arrows.

solar likes this.
  14. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

Just wondering, I see no mention of navmesh in the patch notes, and all the navmesh related bug report threads are locked.
    What is the status of this pathing mechanism? Has it been rolled back for further testing, or has it been released into the live server now?

anotheregostar likes this.
  15. solar

This particular myth can easily be checked by timing how long the button takes to pop out. There's a lot of speculation and incorrect info on forums about haste. The important thing is that the quiver is not added in the same pass as normal haste, it's added afterward. This formula is a mix of floating point and integer stuff.

Several high end Luclin bows have 35 delay:
    35 delay bow / (1 + 41% item + 58% VoG) * 100 == 1758 ms delay without quiver
    Quiver: 1758 * 15% = 263 ms delay reduction
    result is 1495 ms delay

Quiver haste does nothing if it would take the delay below 1 second. Some players figured this out and complained and eventually the designers standardized on 25 delay bows so that's how all the good ones are now.

Bow of the Destroyer has 17 delay:
    17 delay bow / (1 + 41% item + 58% VoG) * 100 == 854 ms delay without quiver
    Quiver: 854 * 15* = 128 ms delay reduction
    result is 854 ms delay because the quiver haste is not applied if it would take it below 1 second, and it's already below 1 second to begin with.

It will work out on average to 1495 ms (or whatever) delay but each cycle will not be exactly that long. There's lag and the arrows have travel time so it's not quite that perfect in practice. Since you have to push a button to fire each shot, it adds a lot of variability to it even if you have a macro spamming it. The things I tweaked just make the server match the client better. Destroyer bow will probably work better with this fix.

Cadsuane, Devour_Souls and Ravenwing like this.
  16. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Well, it's not a myth. Even during the era of our client, it was 1/3 of WR. Parsed and checked many times on the Ranger's glade and Safehouse and so forth. Yes, there's variability, but there were long parses under controlled circumstances. It's not incorrect info, although I agree that haste in general is notorious for bad info, this is not. The value is supposed to be 1/3 of WR. If you are saying you can't fix it, that's one thing. We aren't all running around with super fast bows, or 41% haste, though, so that 5% can make a difference. Up to you guys, I've said my piece on it.

showstring likes this.
  17. solar

I referred to it as a myth because that's what one of the reddit posts linked above called it. The client knows how to calculate the haste so it can make the button pop out. I checked both the mac and windows clients and I was excited to find that I could experiment with the actual code and get this 100% correct. This post from GringoTunare is the closest to the truth: https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=89583#m127994933889881620
    That Prescient Fleeting Quiver was added in a much later expansion and I think it's the first time the Fleeting Quiver was updated. The designers gave it 90% instead of 60% WR. Maybe they also believed it was 1/3 and so they tried to add 10%? Players quickly found that the new quiver was worse than the old quiver with their low delay bows because if applying the quiver would take it below 1 second, it isn't applied at all. You can see they tried to play with it and make it 39% WR as a workaround. I don't know what the final fate of it was, maybe they changed the calculation to cap at 1 second, or just removed the cap entirely, but that's also when they started making every bow 25 delay. If you aren't convinced then you should measure the refresh time of the button yourself with different bows, with and without a quiver. The button refresh is controlled by a calculation in the client, based on the items and buffs the server tells it, so if the items are right, then that calculation should be right.

Cadsuane likes this.
  18. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

Few issues I've noticed since last patch:

1. Rubber-banding / ghosting mobs while walking.
    The land mobs seem to stagger / ghost / warp back / rubberband while walking towards you. It's quite subtle, but I've noticed it enough to be confident it's not lag related or my connection related. It's like the mob position updates are out of sync and every few seconds it warps back a few feet. Few guildies noticed it too. Only started happening since last patch. Noticed in multiple zones - akheva, scarlet, the grey, and guildies noticed it during coldain ring and shawl escrots.

2. Really aggressive char select screen timeouts.
    It seems the timeout value for idling in char select screen has been drastically reduced. It used to idle for about 10-15 mins, you could press up/down to choose your chars and it would log you in fine. Now it seems to timeout between 30 sec and a few mins. It kicks you back to server select screen much quicker (and crashes the client most of the time). Sometimes, I only just enter the char select screen, and get immediately booted back to server select screen. This is happening across multiple client PCs, and only started happening since last patch.

solar likes this.
  19. Break

Break People Like Me

Are there supposed to be doors in Kedge Keep? They seem to all be missing. I watched a walkthrough of how to get to Phinny, but when I tried to follow the video, none of gates were in place and neither was the secret door. They were all just open gaps.

Lyrina likes this.
  20. Smudge

Smudge People Like Me

Umm you might be taking the wrong way to Phinny my friend.

showstring likes this.
  21. Break

Break People Like Me

I took this route. It was exactly the same except all the passages were just open doorways.

Lyrina likes this.
  22. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

I believe this is accurate. I vaguely remember this coming up before, and that all the gates were permanently open in kedge on AK (which also matches my recollection of the early state of the zone from EQlive).

Quirk, sowislifesowislove and Break like this.
  23. robregen

yes kedge doesn't have doors on AK.

It was mentioned before a few years ago when we had them. I removed it.

https://www.takproject.net/forums/index.php?threads/5-4-2016.5661/#post-31051

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    Break likes this.
  24. Lyrina

Lyrina Member

These missing doors (even it's accurate to the AK server for the Mac users), is for me, as someone who played on a PC server (Torvonillious), very strange, hehe. I still can hear the squeaking and clacking sounds of theses doors... And to be honest... Im seriously missing 'em, hehe. BUT, if it's, how it was back then, on AK, that's totally cool :).

25. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

For #1 ... it looks like Solar changed the zone resolution timer to 32 msec. It was 10 msec. Now the timer checks on mob movements are potentially coming later, so the client thinks they have moved further than the server. The position update timers were at 100 msec. This slower zone check, really delays a lot of checks, impacting mob movement. I will have to fix mob movement to take into consideration how much real time has passed, and calculate movement based on how much time has gone by. The new navmesh system already does this, so its probably easier to fix issues with the path node part of that first. The path node based system works better in most of our zones, so this will need to get updated. The navmesh zone files need a lot of tweaks, to get mobs off the walls. So moving every zone to a navmesh files is not going to happen. Putting zones on navmesh, which have pathing issues that are unfixable with node based pathing is the more likely way we are going to do things.

#2 .. The timeouts at char select, not sure on this one. With changes to the timing system to use std::chrono, it could have an impact. I will have to look through more patches recently, to see if this is related. It could be caused by a fix I did to stale connections, I will have to test some locally. I have noticed camping to char select screen has not been reliable way to switch characters lately. But this was true on the navmesh branch I have been working on, well before this recent patch. So not sure if the two are related.

H

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  26. anotheregostar

anotheregostar Well-Known Member

#2 is something I've definitely been experiencing as well.

27. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

Thanks for detailed explanation Haynar, that's great supplementary info you were able to share.

It seems like there might be some undocumented changes happening behind the scenes.
    Even though they sound rather technical, and "back-end" specific, would it be possible to include all of these kind of tweaks in the changelog patch notes?
    This way people would be more aware of all the great work you do behind the scenes, and also aware of some things that might be different or changed, so they can test and report any issues better?

28. robregen

there was a timer changed to fixed the possible overflow along with a timer crashed fixed. but the latter were applied on the navmesh and needed to be applied to the dev branch. But there were some conflicted when merging due the code changed in the navmesh branch and those were applied to dev branch as well. Which is how it made it to takp live. They weren't suppose to be any noticeable changed but obviously it is when it coming from the navmesh branch.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    Mechaike likes this.
  29. solar

Sorry!

Mechaike, Elroz and Amirite like this.
  30. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Wasn’t Solars fault. Cherry picked commit looked like it. So I assumed.

Mechaike likes this.