Hello! New to the server.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Falkris, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Falkris

Falkris Member

Hello,

I got the itch to play some EQ and was going to head on over to P1999 green, when I saw Al'kabor in the server list. I did play back in the day on a hackintosh, but only for a few months and never got to max level.

Had a quick question, I main BST and its why I'm here over P1999. Now guessing most people box? I was never a big fan of doing it myself. Was wondering if I could level up and find groups or am I going to have to bite the bullet and box?

Anyways look for Rumgon the clueless ogre BST trying to get use to moving around without a map. Also got a big kick of walking into the bazaar and seeing the old zone. Last time I played EQ was on a live TLP server.

2. Auyster

Auyster People Like Me

Server is small so there is a slight disadvantage in not boxing. One nice thing about this server is that groups with only three toons in it receive a XP penalty so you will easily find trios that will accept anyone just to improve their XP gain.

Adding the 4th toon to a group increases XP gain per toon by 20% and trios will actively search for people to AFK as their 4th member in the group.

3. Ripwind

Ripwind People Like Me

Welcome to the server! Look me up on Syphietrader and I can get you a bit of plat to get situated.

4. Falkris

Falkris Member

Thanks, guessing I might box a druid, but not sure yet. Syphie just might hit you up for some spell money, but part of the fun is getting the plat together to gear up from the bazaar.

5. Dula Allazaward

Dula Allazaward Member

Welcome to the server! Feel free to shoot me a tell in game and I will be happy to help you out. As far as boxing, even though most do have trios or duos there are people that have opted to just single box. It does take getting used to but eventually it becomes second nature.

6. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

Beastlord is the perfect option to solo or to just add one other box if you're not a fan of boxing. I'd highly suggest druid. You might find in your 50s you'll warm up to the idea of the third box, and what better to catch up another class than a druid? You'll spend a lot of time from 1-25 solo, and you'll be able to find some grouping opportunities sporadically between 25-40. At 40, you can group with 60s and could technically improve their AA gain just by being the 4th box. Or you can join similar level groups throughout the 40s and 50s.

7. Cillipis

Cillipis Well-Known Member

Seriously, everyone loves a single box main. They often play better and you don’t have to remember all their alts!

That said, I’d also suggest making a support toon just in case. You don’t have to trio, a duo with a BST is really strong as is. Even if it’s not used much, the Heals can really help the exp move quicker when you do need/want a buddy. Having a cleric will make you self sufficient on rezzes, but Druid is also great for snares and ports out of dungeons.

Ransom likes this.
  8. Falkris

Falkris Member

Yeah might do a druid. Have to say the server has been chill so far, talked to a few people already. Working on my Ghulam armor, someone said they might drop some cash if I show up with a full set lol.

9. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

I find it helpful to keep EQAtlas open on another device :)

Starsha likes this.
  10. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

11. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

Beast Lord is a great main with druid being an excellent backup character if you don't want to play three but just two.
    Does ok solo, but it's one of the better classes to add a second to.

12. Falkris

Falkris Member

So leveling up a druid and will give boxing a try. what's the worse that could happen? :)

Ripwind and Mokli like this.
  13. Auyster

Auyster People Like Me

If yer gunna box might as well add a 3rd easy box such as a magician or wizard. Bard that only plays one song could also go there.

14. Falkris

Falkris Member

Auyster, how about I just "git good" at 2 boxing 1st before I move on to 3 boxing. I've never played a druid before either so...

Ripwind and Auyster like this.
  15. DubRemix88

DubRemix88 People Like Me

Welcome! Me and my brother started a few months ago and are now 60 and raiding regularly. He wasnt into boxing at first but playing with me and others boxing, really forced him to start learning (to open up opportunities). Almarrs guides are a great resource if you are new to it. I mained my first beastlord with a druid box and had a blast climbing to 60 and learning (still am) velious and luclin content. The community on here are very supportive and nice (think ive only been intentionally trained on once- while shard hunting in dsp). I'm rolling some alts soon, ill keep an eye out for you.

Most of my groups on the way up were with 1 or 2 other 2boxers, I imagine your experience will be the same.

16. Lyrina

Lyrina Member

Welcome home :).

Tuluvien likes this.
  17. Falkris

Falkris Member

Dub, I totally forgot about Almarrs guides! So far been enjoying my time on the server. Been working on my druid. Beast is at 9 and druid is at 6 or 7. Guess I will get druid to 9 and start boxing.

18. Qazadan

Qazadan New Member

Check out hoykeynet makes boxing much easier and it is included with your download. Also get GINA. It has audio triggers that reads your log file. It is very helpful when boxing or solo.

19. Ripwind

Ripwind People Like Me

Druid + BL would make for a great duo. Your druid heals will feel pretty under-powered until 58 (when you get their 3k heal) but I often play my BL + Druid + (whatever 3rd) vs. nearly any other combo.

Ransom and DubRemix88 like this.
  20. DubRemix88

Agreed, Druid heals lag in the low/mid 50s, when your bst and pet tanking skills are both underwhelming. You'll really want to group through your 50s to get over that last hurdle. When you get your last pet, tunares renewal, sp, potg, alacrity, shas leth/adv, and mask of the hunter all at about the same time, the headache of the 50s all pay off.

Pithy, Ripwind and Ransom like this.
  21. Falkris

Falkris Member

Been fun so far. Thanks to the guys that have reached out to me in game. So far haven't needed any plat I remembered the gobs in butcher, they have kindly been funding my equipment procurement's so far. I have gotten Rumgon up to 11 and my druid up to 9. Just been tab boxing with a few micro's nothing fancy...well it's still low levels and I don't even have slow yet on the bst, and the fights are over fast.

Palarran and Pithy like this.
  22. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

Next thing to try - use hotkeynet that is included with the game. I set it to switch tabs with 1, 2 and 3 on my numkey pad (others probably have better settings) and its such a game changer to alt tab. There are also fewer issues with the alt key sticking in EQ. Sounds like you're doing well supplying yourself. Its the best way to play.

23. DubRemix88

I just changed mine to ctr+(a/s/d) to go along with my movement keys, very happy with the setup.

Ransom likes this.
  24. Falkris

Falkris Member

I've poked around hotkeynet, haven't really got it to work yet. Have yet to even get it to fire up EQ.

25. Mukk

Mukk People Like Me

Hotkeynet was a useless, confusing mess for me.

Try Dexpot. Simple, straight-forward and easy to use.

26. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

I launch Hotkeynet, then I individually launch three TAKP clients through a short cut. I don't worry about using the hotkey on hotkeynet to launch them. They load as Client 1, Client 2 and Client 3. Then I use the keys bound on hotkeynet to switch between them.

DubRemix88 likes this.
  27. Falkris

Falkris Member

Hey Ransom what is the script you use for the hotkeys for switching windows? I.E how would I go about setting it up to use my numpad like 1,2,3. Really thinking about adding either a mage or necro. Got Rum up to 21 last night, and druid is at 22. Leaning towards mage I did play one back in the Kunark days.

28. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

All you have to do is run hotkeynet.exe instead of eqgame.exe - it's part of the download and it includes the script which is automatically loaded when it starts. Then you just push ctrl-f12 to launch 3 windows and numpad 1/2/3 to switch between them. The only thing you have to do is run hotkeynet.exe that's all there is to it.

29. Dracou

Dracou Member

for hotkeynet.exe, i'm not getting it to load 3x... it looks like it's trying to, but sometimes one loads, sometime none load.

From this pc: <Run ".\eqgame.exe"><Key Enter><Wait 3000><Run ".\eqgame.exe"><Key Enter><Wait 3000><Run ".\eqgame.exe"><Key Enter><Wait 3000>
    <Run ".\eqgame.exe"> completed: Window found. Target set to 0xC04B0 "EverQuest"
    <Key Enter> completed
    <Wait 3000> completed: 3000 milliseconds
    <Run ".\eqgame.exe"> completed: Window found. Target set to 0x2404FA "EverQuest"
    <Key Enter> completed
    <Run ".\eqgame.exe"> completed: Window found. Target set to 0x17070A "EverQuest"
    <Key Enter> completed

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  30. Falkris

Falkris Member

Well seems to work if I open hotkey than launch 3 Eq clients looks like it works. Was switching between windows with the numpad.