Upcoming Experience Changes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Torven, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

That's right, the plan is to repeat what Torven did on AK as closely as possible and compare the kills per AA.

Verdent likes this.
  2. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

What I did was get all the AAs I could at 60, then finally hit 61-62 in a few more pulls then stopped playing for a few days to edit the video, so I was still level 62 when I finished it. The vast majority of it is at 60. Obviously it's more impressive to show experience gains at 60. I actually stayed at 60 for quite a long time; getting over 100 AAs (each) at caller caves, power leveling a paladin as a 7th character, getting his smithing to 240, AAing him, then doing PoValor kites. I took a long break during all that because 'camping' that ring was burning me out.

The bard powerleveling video shows her leveling at the very end of it but I think everything before that is also at 60. I used her log to estimate experience needed for each 61-65 level since she was solo and had her exp split between AA and levels. Knowing the exact exp needed for an AA and how much exp the mobs yield allows for coming up with an estimate for level exp. Sony started hiding the exp stuff just before Luclin so the precise exp needed for PoP levels has to be estimated.

3. Radda

Radda People Like Me

its easy if you have rhythm and dont mind your hands hurting after awhile.

Faults and Ripwind like this.
  4. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Welp, I finally got around to testing the AKuracy of the recent PBAE changes.

TL;DR: the number of FG caller trash kills to earn an AA on TAKP matches AK data very closely.

I set up an experiment on the dev server that closely matched the circumstances of Torven's AK logs. Those logs include 87 AAs earned at the FG caller cycle. They include only caller trash, not Shadel, shiknar or other zone trash. Torven's AAs were earned in a group of five.

Like Torven, I killed only caller trash. Unlike Torven, I only used one toon. I wanted to replicate Torven's circumstances exactly and use a group of five, but for some reason the dev server only recognizes four of my eight game accounts. So I used one level 60 toon and the fact that on TAKP, each toon in a group of five earns 52% of the exp that a solo toon would earn from the same kills. I can share my logs if anyone's interested.

It took me 144 kills to earn one AA solo. Using the "exp in group of five = 52% of solo exp" conversion, that's equivalent to 277 kills to earn one AA in a group of five.

In Torven's 87 AAs earned from FG trash on AK, the number of kills per AA in a group of five ranged from 261 (5th percentile) to 283 (95th percentile); the average was 273. The 277 kills I needed on TAKP were well within the AK range and very close to the average of 273.

This experiment was a bit short. To be more rigorous, it could be repeated many times for many AAs. The number of kills per AA could be averaged and compared to Torven's AK average. I'm too lazy to do that, but if anyone else wants to, just load a level 60 character on dev, summon an Iron Scroll of War, start the caller cycle, pull the trash and spam the scroll to PBAE them down.

This experiment doesn't validate every aspect of the recent PBAE changes, but it does verify that the exp mechanics of FG caller AE at level 60 are AKurate.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  5. gardnerjens

gardnerjens People Like Me

Now we just need to get back the four callers at the time per cave again :)

6. Dominar

Dominar Well-Known Member

I’m curious about how MLM is calculated for mixed level groups. Recently another player commented that solo he was getting about 5x more exp solo at 55 than in a group of 4 with a range of 55-59 with an average of 57. Normally you would expect to Get 60% per kill, not 20% when grouping with 4. It appears that he lost the MLM bonus when the average or max level increased to be > 5 above the mob level even though it applied when killing the same mobs solo. Which conditions must be met to get the MLM bonus in mixed level groups?

7. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

MLM bonus doesn't apply if the NPC is outside the +/-5 level range of the player (not group average or highest level in group) or if you are more than 5 levels under the group average. In the scenario you described it should still apply. 4 man groups should yield 55% solo exp though, not 60

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  8. Dominar

Dominar Well-Known Member

Thanks for clarifying What to expect Torven.

9. relentlessimp

relentlessimp Member

That always bugged the hell out of me, too. *fistbump*

Ravenwing likes this.
  10. Aporia

Aporia Member

I think that's supposed to be the "ill omen"?

John Stark likes this.
  11. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

So what's the end result after this? What's looking good for xp now? I notice SSRA Com 2 xp is slightly less than before these changes.

12. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Anywhere with a lot of level 55+ mobs is good, basically. I've gotten at least 1 AA per toon per hour in a trio (sometimes significantly more) at the Ssra mines and Comm2 camps, juggs and reets in Seb, the rat city in DN, and the golems and gargoyles in Velk's castle (near Velk himself). I hear the shard camp in FG and some camps in UP, CT, PoM and SSeru are also good, but I haven't tested them myself.

Ssra camps may feel slower to charmers because revs got fixed (they were hitting much faster than they do on Live). Giving your rev a jumpy robe or some other ~40% haste item should pretty much bring it back to the old DPS.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    Sketchy, Mechaike and Ripwind like this.
  13. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Is this an AA per hour with a charm pet?

14. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

15. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

I haven't rev charmed in like a year since I don't play my chanter really. My comment was normal xp with the same 3 characters from before the changes. Thanks for the xp direction, I guess I'll move around.

16. Mechaike

Mechaike Well-Known Member

He's typically crawling through mobs with his charm pet. That cuts out a lot of down time to pulling.

17. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Yeah, I prefer crawling to static camps. I also prefer pulling several mobs and mezzing them (or better yet, offtanking them with a big DS) to single-pulling. Keep the group's weapons swinging!

FWIW, only the Ssra camps I mentioned above really have good charmpets. The charmpets in the other spots -- juggs, DN rat city, Velk's castle, PoM -- are pretty lackluster, not much better than an epic mage pet. In those camps, I bet a group with real DPS classes would outperform a group built around charming.

I want to try wrecking shop with a high-DPS group in CT. Something like tank, healer, and a bunch of rogues or rangers or BLs or epic mages. I bet it could be pretty fast exp plus interesting nameds.

18. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

(on Live back in the LDoN era, one of my favorite dungeon crawling groups was bard/shaman/4 melee DPS. my bard friend would CC and overhaste; I'd slow, tank and self-heal on the shaman and avatar the DPS. good times!)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  19. Tesadar

Tesadar Active Member

Thank you guys for the almost free AA :)

This is the 2nd exp adjustment I've seen so far. Good work.