Help! Trying to come back

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eldarra, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Eldarra

Eldarra New Member

Hi guys,

This is Eldarra/Freya/Magnuson/Frizada :)

I got a new MBPro this year bc my old one suffered an accident during our move in April! I haven't been able to join you guys in Norrath since then because when I finally did the transfer of files from my external HD to this new computer, I got everything transferred over but when I open Launcherfrien it gives me an error saying "I'm giving up on launching Eldarra because it crashed twice in a row"

When I look at my Applications folder where EQ.exe was installed before, it now has that icon with a circle and a diagonal line through it..indicating like it's not available or accessible? It seems that that file for some reason isn't there? Anyone know how to help me get back in game and joining you guys again please?

I remember it was extremely difficult for me to find the original EQ game to download online and I'm scared that's what I might need to do..I cant find it anywhere. Any suggestions please!? Cant wait to get back on

Many many thanks and big hugs to you all, hope you've all been staying safe from the covid disaster!
    <3 from FL, our current epicenter

- Eldarra
    Heirophant of the 60th circle

2. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

Latest OSX does not support 32 bit apps.

Catalina 10.15

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  3. Eldarra

Eldarra New Member

Omg....so.... I simply can't play on TAKP on this new Mac anymore?!

4. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

You can partition and install a previous version of OSX with something like parallels or maybe bootcamp(is that still a thing?) or you could install Windows on your Mac, but Catalina will not play the game.

5. Ripwind

Ripwind People Like Me

I just went through the process of downgrading to Mojave myself on a new(er) Macbook Pro. It's easy enough to create a bootable USB and do it. Obviously you lose whatever is on your machine, but.

6. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Your have three options:
    1. Downgrade your MacOS Catalina to Mojave
    2. Partition your drive and install Mojave for dual-boot
    3. Partition your drive and install Windows for dual-boot

7. Kabouter

Kabouter Member

Same issue here, can't get it to run...
    Does running it in parallels work? And if so is it possible to just have multiple instances next to each other so you don't have to work with spaces?
    I like to pick it up from time to time, but if that means I have to reboot in another (or older OS) is far from ideal. I'd rather have easy access to any work related stuff if I need to.

8. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

9. Kabouter

Kabouter Member

Ah I was more thinking of just getting Windows 10 in parallels and running TAKP in there, seems like the easiest solution. Although I have been reading that for some reason people prefer the mac client over the windows client.

10. gardnerjens

gardnerjens People Like Me

Mac client runs faster when using selo run speed

11. Eldarra

Eldarra New Member

Ugh this makes me so sad. I feel like this sadly means I won't be able to login to my characters again for quite some time given how difficult it will be ;(

12. Ripwind

Ripwind People Like Me

If you're interested, I could mail you the USB drive I used to downgrade to Mojave and give you some instructions. You would lose whatever is stored locally on your mac (whatever isn't in iCloud or backed up somewhere else) but it's an option.

13. Kabouter

Kabouter Member

Probably better just to dual boot with Mojave instead of downgrading. I'll give it a try myself one of these days.

Regarding windows vs mac. Are there any advantages of the mac version besides the selo run speed? Which I don't really understand ;). GINA, other tools allowed on windows?

14. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

15. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Hotkeynet, zlizeqmaps, gina are all allowed on Windows. The last two are log polling apps.

16. Kabouter

Kabouter Member

17. Yarnee

Yarnee People Like Me

YOu dont have to order anything on amazon or whatever, you can just buy a windows product key and download an ISO. Would take maybe 20 min to get a latest version OSX running VM windows xp-10 with a fast internet connection

18. Kabouter

Kabouter Member

I've been trying out parallels 15 and performance seems good. Only minor issues I found so far are an issue with the mouse look if I turn the sensitivity down to 0 it is sort of ok, but still not smooth.

Every time I switch to one of my character windows he backs up a little bit if not seated.

But yes worth the 80 bucks I think not having to boot into windows.

19. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

Update to the latest eqgame DLL, devs worked hard to get the newest version to have no accidental movements on a switch.

20. Kabouter

Kabouter Member

I don't think that is it, since I just downloaded this version last week. Seems to be only for parallels since I don't have the issue in bootcamp.

21. Kabouter

Kabouter Member

Small update in case anyone is interested. Parallels 15 seems pretty decent, some issue though to keep in mind:
    1. My GPU is not being used. Apparently this is an issue with Parallels, the Mac has to decide to use the GPU, parallels can't force it. Every instance of EQ uses about 13% CPU Power (and 0% GPU), fans do tend to get loud from time to time.
    2. Seeing some clipping/texture issues in 1 zone: crush bone
    3. Hotkeynet doesn't always work for some reason, still not completely sure why it works sometimes and not other times. I also can't get the script to launch all my instances working with hotkeynet.
    4. GINA works fine
    5. When closing an eq window it always gives me an error: The instruction at 0xxxxxxxxxxxx referenced memory at 0x00000000000. The memory could not be written. Click ok to terminate the program. Not a big issue.
    6. I can't launch multiple instances at the same time, I can have them open up until the server select screen, but after that I have to login 1 by 1 otherwise they almost always crash.

Hope this is useful for others.

Laidron likes this.
  22. Torrinn

Torrinn Active Member

The only problem with dual booting, is that you need a Mac EFI video card so you get a boot screen, and any video card that supports Mojave metal, is either going to be the hard to find, and expensive, Sapphire HD7950 Mac Edition, or something flashed by MacVidCards, who tacks on $100+ to the price of every card for doing the flash. Paying $130, for a card sells that sells for $30 unflashed, is not a good deal.

Manstache likes this.