Breaking into Fear

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DuckDo, Jun 12, 2020.

1. DuckDo

DuckDo Member

I have a 2 man group so it's a full party. A 59, and the rest are 60s but only run speed AAs. We are looking to break into fear for the chanter epic piece. Would be nice to get to the wizard golem as well, but one step at a time. We have done the rest of the chanter epic with this group, fear is the final step.

I zoned in today with one to scout, and see how bad it really is. Plan was to run to the west ZL ASAP. By the time I did that I had something like 10+ on me, and needed to leather foot cap out. Definitely not feasible to tank and spank all those. Anyone have some successful strategies or ideas for breaking into fear with a single group of non raid geared toons?

My current idea is to bind a sacrifice outside the fear portal, and corpse their gear. Zone the sacrifice in first and gather a massive train of trash (preferably the entire western half of the zone) and run them to the eastern side. Meanwhile the other 5 toons zone in, and while the coast is clear run up to the north wall. With some speed and luck the sacrifice dies, loots the corpsed gear at bind, and zones in to meet up with group before things path back home. I am concerned of mobs pathing back in giant clumps leading to a wipe when a clump finds us up north. Is the north western corner just as bad as zone in for number of mobs and potential trains? Would mobs start leashing if I got too far? I imagine those frogs that fear could easily ruin the kite idea mid pull.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Yarnee

Yarnee People Like Me

you can run a necro to the north wall FD and rez a cleric there, that is one popular strategy. The break in is a nightmare, wouldnt recommend it without a solid force. There are other ways to get in safely too but they require having toons already at the north wall

3. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

Your strategy of training stuff to the East wall is very likely to fail. Lots of mobs along the way cast root and dispell, etc so you really wouldn't make it very far, especially naked. Assuming you DID make it to the east wall, there is no way you'd be able to stay alive once stuff starts pathing back. Some of that stuff has an incredibly large assist/aggro radius.

I've done it a few ways:
    1. Zone in, kill one or two mobs and then port out asap. Run back and do it again. Careful of the scarelings who like to shadowstep you. It would be unfortunate to be OOR of the port when it goes off
    2. Zone in, nobody move, have the enchanter spam AOE stuns to catch everything that aggros and either PBAoE it down or kill a few mobs and port out, rinse and repeat. One enchanter might not be enough to keep everything stunned, I think I had two when I did it. You could get away with 1 enchanter + a bard singing AoE -MR.
    3. What Yarnee suggested: There is a safe spot on the North wall, next to a tree straight north of the firewall. This is probably the safest method, especially if you have a WC cap at your disposal.

4. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

does your group have a bard?
    even once you break in the enc epic mob is amidst a giant pack of uglies, and if you don't have a way to kite them around and try to single out your guy you're gonna be in a world of hurt.

5. Yarnee

Yarnee People Like Me

you can snare park the shissar wraith thing

6. gardnerjens

gardnerjens People Like Me

have a bard at level 60 with 200 mr twist selo and shield of song

till you have enough agro

bring 2 enchanter 2 clerics and you are fine

7. gardnerjens

gardnerjens People Like Me

also use deftdance on bard on inital pull so you can denon breaverment and make it land before you start stunning

8. rosenthm1

rosenthm1 Member

You can split the enc epic mob with any snaring class if you don't mind taking a death. SK or necro? Even better.

Regarding break-in: personally, I wouldn't even consider any strategy that didn't involve getting set up at the north wall (conveniently located near the mob you are trying to kill).

There are a few ways to do that. The most straightforward way is to drag a cothing mage or cleric with a necro and rez them with convergence (takes an EE). If you have a mage, you can (carefully) coth people up. If you have a cleric, you can just have people suicide run as quickly as possible to north wall and then drag and rez them.

If you have do not have a necro and either a mage or cleric, things are more difficult. It is possible to run a cleric to north wall and get a bind affinity off at the safe spot before dying. But then you need to immediately /q and wait a few minutes. This is difficult to pull off but it is possible. And in fact, I recommend binding a cleric at north wall while you're up there anyway. Why? Because it's fear and you're gunna wipe. Just be diligent to avoid death loops (/q helps). If you don't have a cleric in your party, I'd actually reconsider the mission entirely.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  9. rosenthm1

rosenthm1 Member

By the way, the best way to do broken golem is to do it after fear has been cleared by a guild doing CT. I have frequently found him alone in the zone on reset days, in the afternoons or early evening.

10. DuckDo

DuckDo Member

Thanks for the ideas everyone. North wall rezzing sounds doable. And should be able to snare park the epic mob with the old ranger FD. We'll have to give it a shot in a few weeks.

If you /q before a death does it leave you in a loading state until you LD out? Thus preventing a death loop (at least until you log back in)? I always assumed you would keep respawning and dying until the server finally decides to kick you out.

Also that broken golem tip is great! Does the server reset on a specific schedule, or do you just have to catch it one day?

Is it a 12 hour spawn timer on trash mobs in fear?

11. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

You won't keep respawning and dying if you /q out of a death loop. It's your best option if you're ever killed by a train at your bind point.

Sketchy likes this.
  12. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

Every other Wednesday. The next reset is June 24th.

13. rosenthm1

rosenthm1 Member

It is either 8 or 12.

14. DuckDo

DuckDo Member

Finally finished up in fear the other day. Thanks to everyone for the ideas. Checking fear shortly after a server reset was perfect. Found it cleared of just about everything except the broken golem. One epic piece down.

Ran to the northwall safe spot and camped/bound ourselves and proceeded to wait for the next server reset to find the Wraith of Shissar. Two weeks later we logged in after the server reset to find the Wraith up. Thanks to Maya of Nephalim for assistance with the pull and heals. Maya's monk trained past with a ball of angry monsters. Using snare the ranger could single pull the Wraith out. A warning about snare parking. The Wraith seemed very magic resistant and snare never landed for us even after 6 or 7 casts. Went down easy enough once singled out, and chanter epic completed! Thanks again for the help.

Mokli and Pithy like this.
  15. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

Nice! Glad you were able to figure it out. That's not an easy one to get by any means. As a sidenote, I think i have parked the wraith rapture before... I never tried snare.