Questions about Boxing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vince987, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Vince987

Vince987 New Member

Hello all, new the server. I'm loving it. I spoke with a friendly fellow who insisted that I should box at least one other character since lowbies are hard to find, etc ... SO ... to that end ... I started trying to figure out how to do that. I finally figured out how to make windowed mode happen ... but then I can't move the window around it's permanently stuck in the middle of my screen ... and THEN ... i can't open a second instance of the game because my launcher already has my password and user name ... can someone perhaps guide me through the process of making all of this work? #imdumb Thanks a million!

2. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

mac or pc?

3. Vince987

Vince987 New Member

Mac, sorry!

4. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Can't move the game window on mac. You need to create multiple desktop spaces and launch one EQ per space. Then use a hotkey command or gesture to switch.

Vince987 likes this.
  5. Vince987

Vince987 New Member

this May be beyond me haha

6. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

you may have already done some of these steps, but just to be really basic:

1) to to the game accounts link at the top of the forums and make a second account for your alt to be on
    2) hit command (apple) + space to get the search bar and type mission control and hit enter
    3) in this view there will be a (+) button in the top right of your screen. hit that twice. you now have 3 desktops. click on desktop 1 to return to your normal screen.
    4) open system preferences (from the apple button drop down menu in the top left of your screen) and go to keyboard. then go to the shortcuts tab. in the left box, click mission control
    5) check the boxes for switch to desktop 1, 2 and 3. assign hotkeys to those. I personally use f9, f10, f11, but your mileage may vary.
    6) now you have a 1-button shortcut to switch between your desktops. if you don't like the animation that produces, go back to the main menu in system preferences and go to accessibility, then to display and check the "reduce motion" box. close system preferences
    7) i'm guessing from the way you phrased it that your launcher is a terminal script thing. right click that file and hit duplicate. now right click on the copy and hit open with -> text edit. find your log in credentials and replace them with the 2nd account you made in step 1.
    8) use desktop 1 for your browser and other computer stuff and use desktops 2 and 3 for your eq instances. launch as normal in each of those desktops.

7. Vince987

Vince987 New Member

OMG Thank you so much. That was actually not terrible difficult. xoxoxox =D see you in game!

8. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

Needs to be on the wiki, stickied and on the faq

pharmakos and Cadsuane like this.
  9. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  10. Mysteryman222

Mysteryman222 New Member

11. Mysteryman222

Mysteryman222 New Member

Hey. I'm new to the game (been playing for a month). Not super tech savy. Just found out about the boxing thing from someone in game and I'm having trouble setting it up. I've gotten pretty close. Got a second account/toon and can switch between desktops from the desktop, but it doesn't work when I try to toggle in the game. I'm using a mac. For some reason when I try and set the hotkeys it seems to want me to click fn+# or ctl +# instead of just a digit. It did let me input numbers 1,2,3 by themselves but they didnt work in game (seemed to press action hotbuttons). Also tried setting F8,F9,F10 and 1) it requires fn or ctrl to set them and 2) in the game they just default to camera controls. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    -M

12. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

I use 2 button. CMD (or something) + 1 or 2 or 3

I'm on a MacBook and without the number pad there werent really practical buttons that I could sacrifice. I'm very used to holding the one button to then toggle between numbers.

I'm pretty sure someone said they had them bound to number pad for single button switches though .

13. Mukk

Mukk People Like Me

When I was playing on a Macbook, I bought a plug-in apple keyboard and mapped my desktops to the F13, F14, F15 keys in the system settings.

Neealana likes this.
  14. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

One guess is that what you're talking about with the function keys might be due to using buttons that have some other features such as adjusting brightness or volume.
    Try going to the keyboard section of system preferences and looking for this checkbox:
    [​IMG]
    If you check it, it might relieve you of having to press the fn key to get your hotkey to work

As for your other issue, of none of the buttons workin in game - it sounds like you might be playing in fullscreen and not windowed mode.
    Probably the easiest way to change that is to edit your eqclient.ini file, which is at [your user] / Library / Application Support / EverQuest / eqclient.ini
    For help finding the file, see this quote:
    Once you are there, open the file in TextEdit, and put this line in there:
    WindowedMode=TRUE
    It should be its own line, and it can go anywhere in that file, just make it the very first line.
    NOTE: you should be logged out while you do this. once you relaunch the game, you should be able to use your global hotkeys for desktop switching and have them work. You may need to go into the in-game options to toggle your resolution to get the game window to take up (nearly) your whole screen and feel just like fullscreen used to.

Pithy likes this.
  15. Mysteryman222

Mysteryman222 New Member

Okay Hot keys are set, windowed mode check, can toggle between accounts in game. You got me to the finish line! BUT: now when I'm in game it doesn't let me use the curser. Any clue how to fix this?

16. Yarnee

Yarnee People Like Me

on mac you can move your game window using total spaces grid view

17. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

Two solutions -
    in game: type /mc hammer. it generates an error message that locks your mouse back to the client
    when launching the game: click on the everquest icon as soon as it appears on your dock and before the little black box appears in the top left of your screen. when the game does launch, you will have full mouse control and won't have to bother with /mc

Pithy likes this.
  18. Mysteryman222

Mysteryman222 New Member

Yeeees! Totally worked. Thanks for all the help.

Pithy likes this.
  19. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

You're so nice. I was going to tell him that he had to type /mc Illlilliliiililiilili to get it to work

20. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

well, a cursor that can't click is the epitome of "can't touch this"

Ransom, Mukk and sowislifesowislove like this.