The slap in the face that is RMT.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Speedz, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

It has come to my attention directly and through the grape vine that there a number of people trying to rally behind a recent banned person for RMT.

Let me break it down for you here lest the drama and feelings get out of control.
    We couldn't "unban" or knowingly allow such a person back if we wanted to, and we don't.

There are a number of reasons for this. Some are personal, some are policy, and some are legal.

1) Daybreak could shut us down for knowingly letting someone profit off their copyright.
    This reason is good enough to stop this uprising. But let me give you more reasons.

2) It is in our rules as one of THE biggest violations. Break this and good bye.

3) Early in this server's life, many have expressed concerns that they do not wish to see RMT, hacking, or other various bad practices. We intend to fully honor this request to enforce this ideal.

4) We spend countless hours for FREE because WE can not profit nor charge for work done relating to these pixels (see #1). It is a virtual punch in the gut to emu admins and devs that a player thinks they are better than everyone else and think they can profit off a title and work that they do not own, nor put time in to MAKE not PLAY the game or server.

This practice of RMT on our server is a personal and legal insult. When many of your devs are not well off let alone rich. Some of us are just as poor as you or worse. Yet we enjoy creating a community and preserving a game we also enjoy. Play the game or not. But to profit while we work our butts off and eat Ramen noodles is just wrong.

This crowd source tactic to "forgive" is even more degrading and insulting. I would think our community members were above this.

2. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

RMT destroys server economies, and ruins the feeling of accomplishment that real players of the game feel when they earn that raid loot the old fashioned way. By purchasing it from Bumloots.

Kithani, Tesadar, BonnieJ and 3 others like this.
  3. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

well, for the platinum he charges, it might be harder than most raid fights.....;)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Tesadar, Bum and Elrontaur like this.
  4. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

Back in 2009, when Al'Kabor was first getting a lot of attention from the PC-side old-school EQ community, a player going by the handle 'Ziot' exploited vulnerabilities in the old EQDKP software Temerity was running in order to extract a number of usernames and passwords from our site. He used that information to take control of inactive members' EQ accounts, which he then sold on an RMT forum.

It was an awful time, and it'd never have happened without the RMT market. Over the next few years, we saw RMT farmers negatively impact the server in more subtle ways as well.

I'm happy, then, that the anti-RMT position of TAKP's developers is firm. Real money transactions have absolutely no place on a server like this one.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Starsha, Cadsuane, Khorpus and 7 others like this.
  5. Tyrion

Tyrion Well-Known Member

Thanks for keeping it untainted for our enjoyment.

6. lurari

lurari People Like Me

Thank you to all the dev team - I, and surely other member of the community, appreciate your hard-line stance on these issues not only with your words but backed up by your actions.

7. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Guys I need RMT when my wife leaves me I'll need rmt to afford my new gamer closet:

[​IMG]

Thuule likes this.
  8. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

[​IMG]

Tesadar and Oiwon like this.
  9. Ablazze

Ablazze Member

Isnt that a photo of your tradeskill sweatshop?

The Blazze...

Tesadar likes this.
  10. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Thats Bumquest.

Ablazze likes this.
  11. tibbs

tibbs Member

I really don't understand the defense of RMT on a non-official server.

Even on official servers supported by the copyright owners, it's sketchy, and up to the IP owners to decide if it's legal or not, but in any other circumstance, it's strictly illegal anyways. It's literally profiting off of the copyrighted property of another entity. You are selling stolen goods.

I doubt anyone here would support a craigslist thief they knew was a thief, or someone pawning things they stole from another legitimate business. This is no different. In fact it's worse.

EMU servers, like haynar said, try to provide a free alternative to a premium product so people can play games they enjoy for free. It's like if a playground was built by passion-builders so that people who can't afford the YMCA membership still have a place for their kids to play. RMTers are akin to someone trying to steal the prebuilt free playground and charge an entrance fee. It's pretty despicable, and I cannot understand how anyone could support that.

Hyperbole aside, it's highly illegal and deeply unethical and immoral. Just don't do it.

12. BingUser

BingUser Guest

thlappin ya thlappin ya THLAP THLAP THLAPPIN YA

[​IMG]

13. Torrinn

Torrinn Active Member

RMT destroys game servers because they flood the market with items and money, which renders both worthless. Scarcity adds value. When the scarce becomes common because of armies of players bringing too many onto the market in a short space of time, then nobody is willing to pay a fair price for it anymore because there are hundreds of them for sale at any given time, so if you won't sell at the buyers price then someone else who has it will. A good example would be fungi tunics on Daybreak's progression servers. No sooner does Kunark open on one of the progression servers than the market is immediately flooded with them. Everyone rushes to farm them because they know everyone wants one because it is a legendary item from the early days of EQ but that rush produces many, many more than the market can absorb which drives prices down until you have noobs with only a few days of playing time being able to buy one.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  14. Swish

Swish Member

RMT ruins any server if left unchecked. I support the staff over whoever got banned.

15. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

/Wave Swish

How you been?

16. Lufnis

Lufnis Member

Anyone who supports rmt don't deserve to be here. Thank you for banning them, and not caving in to what the loud minority say. Thank you for the legit experience, you bring to us. Thank you for your time.

Ripwind, Mokli, Barnd0g and 1 other person like this.
  17. curtis

curtis New Member

Thats like callling the kettle black. You run an Emu that makes 1000 a month. I think you are profiting off of Sony. I just call it how i see it. Not looking for drama. But you ARE making funds off another companies title. Nuff said.i I dont do RMT, but thats just my opnion. What do you do with all that money each month from donations ?

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  18. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

I have lost the ability to even. Curtis accidentally the whole thing. Doge says: "Wow! So presuppositional! much ignorance!"

19. Bragon

Bragon People Like Me

I love it. 1 post, comes out the gate swinging 'i'm not looking for drama'

[​IMG]

Esildor, Ripwind, Linkamus and 2 others like this.
  20. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

21. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Btw, that's $1000 since the last time Rob updated the tracker. Like 6+ months? Hosting can be expensive. Not everyone runs emu servers out of their parent's basement.

Elrontaur likes this.
  22. Speedz

First off where in our entire site says that we keep a live up to the min tracker that resets every month. As Mokli says, it is manually updated and it is a running total not monthly.

Secondly do we require payment to play? Is our goal of a mere $20/month too much for you? Please play swgemu and look at their goal then come at us with this crap.
    Domain name and host costs plus hardware for a GOAL of $20 a month...not even ASKING, just a goal.....isn't crap. If you have issue you know where the door is.

Tesadar, Onebad and Linkamus like this.
  23. Speedz

Comparing RMT to our donation setup is a great way to get the boot. I suggest you stfu and play or move on.

edit:
    (I apologize to the rest of the community for this one, but I am not professional and never claimed to be. This comment that sparked necroing this thread I started in response to a real cancer in mmo gaming just set me off a bit.)

24. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

the most donation we have been getting lately is $5 to $50 dollars a month and it goes directly to the paypal account. None of us touches it and it all goes to whatever expenses it needs such as hardward, hostname, back up service, etc. not even close to 1000 a month like you are claiming. I haven't updated the total lately like what speedz says. It is manually updated.

Elrontaur and actualspaide like this.
  25. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

I just updated our tracker. Hostname for com, org, and net cost is once a year and it's due every June. That cost 50 dollars a year. Then we have dropbox for backups and etc. that cost about 100 dollars a year. The other stuff we will eventually need is hardware which cost roughly around 200 to 700 depends on how many drives is needed.

We don't pay for the host since it is provided by Rogean who also hosting P99.

26. Speedz

Thanks rob. This breaks down to a monthly actual bill of $12.50
    We set a goal of $20 which leaves $7.50 a month over verifiable monthly expense. Oh boy so much profit. But as rob says, hardware isn't free.
    Damn good that we get free hosting behind a professional Telco hub datacenter with DDos protection and backup power.

You come on this board and emu with that attitude, and your first post within a month of joining is to try to blindly call out financial issues you have not even looked into first.
    You are setting yourself up for drama even tho you said you weren't looking for it.

GREAT way to piss off the entire community from Admins to players alike.

Elrontaur, Ripwind, Yarnee and 3 others like this.
  27. Yarnee

Yarnee People Like Me

Bum did use an ethnic slur tho and no one even mentioned it

28. Yarnee

Yarnee People Like Me

But for realz tho what was this guys goal, who is he and why is he posting in this thread? did he get banned for RMT? RMT is stupid, if you want money just sell mage epic MQs

showstring likes this.
  29. Speedz

lol you mean the image? Sorry but it is well known fact that the history of EQ has had Chinese sweat shops of gamers to fund the RMT trade.
    Nothing new and nothing racial about it.

Esildor likes this.
  30. Yarnee

Yarnee People Like Me

[​IMG]

pakman, Onebad and Tuluvien like this.