Add Aradune aka bBrad McQuaid to the memorial room in pok

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shadowstarr0000, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Shadowstarr0000

Shadowstarr0000 Member

Just a thought, not necessarily original one as I seen request like this posted on Reddit not particularly associated with our server obviously.

Verdent likes this.
  2. Verdent

Verdent People Like Me

Is there a throne or other prominent point he could look out over POK or elsewhere? Maybe POTranq? Old world?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  3. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

Qeynos Aqueducts

Oiwon and Ripwind like this.
  4. Ripwind

Ripwind People Like Me

Oiwon likes this.
  5. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

I actually love the aqueducts. I'd visit him there.

Choir and Oiwon like this.
  6. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

In Tunare’s bedroom. It’s the god of the master class, which he was, and he shall have a nice set of long legs to keep him warm in the afterlife.

7. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

I never met Brad. I appreciate what he did for the game.

I think we are coming up on aniversary quests again. Maybe have Aradune be the quest NPC?

Busta, Tuluvien, Devour_Souls and 6 others like this.
  8. Torrinn

Torrinn Active Member

The memorial has to be someplace where everyone can view it without having to get a wizzy port to get there or where you have to kill a lot of high level stuff first. You basically would have to be able to travel to it at level 1 without great risk of death. Maybe at the library entrance where Vivian the True stands on live. Better yet, near the entrance to Qeynos (but far enough away not to aggro the guards if you are KOS there. The location of the PoK book in the newbie yard fits that description pretty well. People could come pay their respects then return to PoK without any hassles.) since it was the first city to be developed and the rest of Antonica was basically built around it.

I hope his passing doesn't also mean the death of the new game his team was working on. :(

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  9. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

I do not think that we should memorialize him here. Our memorials are for members of AK/TAKP. We did not know this person, it would be a hollow gesture that would cheapen the rest.

My opinion.

Busta, Choir, Dane and 3 others like this.
  10. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

Yes, I have never Brad. While he is associated with the creation of this game, he was never really involve with AK. If anything, I would honor Hobart more so since he was so dedicated to keeping AK going. Like with what Haynar says, he could be good for an anniversary quest NPC.

Choir, Mechaike, Oiwon and 3 others like this.
  11. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Absolutely memorialize Hobart. Even in life. Would like something for Hobart.

Verdent likes this.
  12. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Hobart as a gnome with a gnome custom helm and some wrench looking primary running around Plane of Tranquility to each zoneline fixing things as he goes. Make him perma invis so you need invis to see him.

I also think Aradune as an anniversary quest NPC would be a good choice.

Verdent, Choir, Mechaike and 3 others like this.
  13. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

We need The Bavatar of War! But development time is more important.

showstring likes this.
  14. Torrinn

Torrinn Active Member

Without Brad McQuaid, there would be no Everquest and without Everquest there would be no Al Kabor server or Al Kabor Project. This, and every other emulated server, owes him more than you seem to realize.

15. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

Don't be silly, and let's not bicker.

16. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

For the first time, I think I agree with Torrinn.

A better way to word it might be that all of the developers for Everquest leading up to PoP (AK) played a part, those such as Hobart who were content/bug fix devs or those like Brad who were design devs. Design devs built the framework that content devs helped support.

17. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

Sure, but that's not what our memorials are or have been. Feel free to pitch something new and fresh, by all means. I don't think that this is at all appropriate.

Our hall of memorials is for our friends and peers.

18. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Yes. Brad was one of the people behind the creative design for EverQuest. Feel free to memorialize him how you feel is necessary.

My sincere condolences to his family.

H

Sketchy and Mokli like this.
  19. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

That's fair.

I guess there are going to be a lot of different opinions on this since probably less than half that play here are return players from AK.

Fadetree and Tuluvien like this.
  20. Verdent

Verdent People Like Me

Why would you argue to not put Brad in? It doesn't cheapen the memorial for anyone else. They get to stand next to Aradune till the end of TAKP... I think it would be an honor to put our past friends next to him.

We are literally arguing whether to memorialize him in his own creation.

Put him central, on a throne,, somewhere important, etc.

21. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

I don't think its appropriate to put him in with the other memorials, but would like to see something that remembers him somewhere in the game. Same for Hobart. I like Darchon's ideas.

22. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Dane, Neealana and Sketchy like this.
  23. Wellmine

Wellmine Active Member

I would love to see something for him in plane of mischief... maybe throne room somewhere random.

24. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

To those who happen to have an old install disc of classic EQ, the original tutorial that comes with the game has a graveyard in that small zone. One of the tombstones is for Aradune:

“Here lies Aradune the Green. His flaming sword was a beacon to all.”

Skip to 11:25

25. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

There are no plans to add an Aradune memorial.

Dane, Faults and Sketchy like this.
  26. Quirk

Quirk Well-Known Member

I remember that tutorial so well. Vivid memories of that Buggy thing.

there was also some sort of cinematic trailer for Eq. It was nothing like in game graphics.

Neealana likes this.
  27. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

I still remember most of the narration from the intro video. Watched it so many times