Bind Affinity Locations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by John Stark, Sep 4, 2019.

1. John Stark

John Stark People Like Me

I wasn't sure where to put this, because it may not be a bug but something to do with the old AK era and the client. If this belong in one of the bug forums, please move it to where it belongs.

I have a 35 wizard that I use as a porting mule once in awhile. I tried to bind in the Hole so I could gate to PoK and offload some loot, and then gate to bind. However, I got the message "try binding in a city." I asked in /Alliance if anyone knew what the deal was, because I was sure that on Live as a wizard (my main well past PoP came out) that I could bind in most, or at least many, places with some exceptions.

Sketchy said that perhaps it didn't include dungeons, but that wasn't the case. I am absolutely certain that I could bind in lower Guk before PoP era (I started during Kunark just before Velious came out), because I used to bind in the Evil Eye room, pop in and nuke him for his bag or his place holder and watch the timer while I did other stuff. I am positive about this, because I sold hundreds of those Evil Eye Bags on Live using this tactic.

I'm sure there were some places even casters could not bind in, but I honestly don't remember what those places were. Certain raid zones and such probably fell into this category. However, I know that I could bind in Karnor's Castle, for example, so Bind Affinity wasn't limited to only outdoor zones or cities. Chardok is another one I know I used to bind in (non-keyed dungeon).

My wife played a druid on Live from Kunark until a few expansions past PoP as well, and she remembers binding in at least some dungeons as well.

I used to have a list of safe spots in certain dungeons where I could bind and zap some mobs for tradeable loot, but that was at least 14 years ago when I stopped playing EQ altogether and I don't have it unfortunately.

Another oddity. My daughter brought her cleric with us to Sebilis, and she was getting the "try a city" message 3 times when she tried to bind at the glowing ball that you click to zone in. She moved her character around to the other side and was able to bind, which was weird. I remember binding in that room many times on Live in various places in that room and never getting that message.

I know non-casters could only be bound in certain places, but this was not the case on Live for casters for the most part outside of certain places. Keyed zones like Sleepers I'm almost positive a Wiz or other caster could not bind in, but a lot of dungeons I could on Live.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Sketchy and Oiwon like this.
  2. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

John Stark and Mokli like this.
  3. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

If this is accurate, I can add this to the wiki. My only concern is that it says that you can't bind in TD, however on TAKP you can.

4. Foxboxx

Foxboxx People Like Me

I know a friend of mine used to stay bound at raptor island sometime after PoP on live. I think that guide was written before PoP, so maybe they decided not allowing bind at the firepots made no sense after PoK was put in.

5. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

In Kunark binding in Timorous was nerfed shortly after launch. Then either in Luclin or PoP they reversed the nerf as they deemed either Nexus or PoK made the nerf irrelevant since those are better travel options.

I forget which but Timorous should be bindable. I’m about 95% sure I bound a Cleric there on AK during his epic and then used a Faithstone to gate out.

6. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

TD is definitely bindable, I always do bind at Omat when doing CLR epic turn-ins

7. John Stark

Thanks for posting this.

I asked my wife about this last night since she played a druid, and she corrected me and said that we used to bind outside of Karnor's and not inside. We did this so we could go sell for our group and then get back as quick as possible.

I honestly thought you could bind in Chardok though, since it can be used (with good faction) as a place to buy and sell and do quests, and that this was along the lines of being able to bind in City of Mist, Frontier Mountains at the ruins, and in Field of Bone near Kaesora.

That still leaves the question as to why I wasn't able to bind my wizard in the Hole, since its an old world zone.

You could definitely bind in TD, I quad kited raptors there in the 50s on Live, and later my wife did so. I am positive that you could bind in TD at least as early as Luclin.

However, I thought this was a very short term thing that happened at one point due to people getting bound at firepots and dying from Faydedar (and complaining to SONY/Verant about it), and that the nerf was only for the fire pot room. I got close to 60 in that era quading raptors (they go light blue at 58) in TD, before Luclin came out, and I was definitely bound there on raptor island while I did so. I distinctly remember the announcement that you could no longer bind at the firepots because I was bound there when it was made, lol. Prior to raptors, I also quad kited spirocs on Spiroc Island from mid-30's to 40+, and would bind on that island.

Regardless, the nerf to the firepots room was certainly lifted long before PoP, as my wife also quad kited her way to 57 or 58 there. I was 60 before Luclin came out, a good part of that due to raptors, and she was somewhere in her mid-50s at the release of Luclin and remembers doing raptors after getting her Nexus gate spell.

8. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

I've noticed a rare desync type bug when trying to bind occasionally. It will say you weren't bound, but in fact you were. Did you check afterwards with /charinfo ?

9. John Stark

Yes. My wiz is bound in PoK even after several attempts to bind in some different safe spots in the Hole.

The desync thing I bet was the problem with my daughter's cleric, but she didn't check where she was bound when she got the "try a city" message. I told her to move around the stone and after getting between the nearest wall and the stone you click to go into Seb, bind worked as usual.

10. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

The Hole was released in a patch between original and Kunark, and apparently follows Kunark rules. I don't believe you could bind inside Chardok or City of Mist. Frontier Mountains and Field of Bone are not dungeons and can be bound in.

Re: the Sebilis orb, I've never heard of anything having trouble binding there here. Perhaps your daughter accidentally targeted another player before casting and fixed the target problem when she moved to the other side.

11. John Stark

According to the link provided by Robregen, you can click the link to City of Mist and it states:

When I mentioned FM and FoB I meant with regards to melee, not casters. I should have clarified that.

With regards to the Hole, I honestly don't know when that zone was released as it was already in the game when I started playing (about May or June of 2000 not long after Kunark came out). By "released in a patch between original and Kunark," I take it you mean after the release of original but prior to the release of the Kunark expansion.

Nope she definitely had herself targeted. I asked about this more than once to be sure.

12. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

OT a tad, but I have to ask. So, melees can be bound in PoM for instance according to that link?

13. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

I'm quite sure you can bind at the Seb orb. I had a death loop with my druid there when someone trained a bunch of trash down. You tend not to forget death loops. This was back in Kunark though, maybe something changed? I know at one point in Luclin there was a bug that allowed casters to bind in areas they normally shouldn't have been able to. It's long fixed though.

14. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

The Hole is revamped, and is a newer era dungeon, and cannot be bound in.

No issues binding at Sebilis orb in Trak teeth, have been bound there many times on this server, obviously casters only self-bind type stuff.

15. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

yah I just went out and bound my druid at Seb orb, it's still possible.

16. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Trak's Teeth is outside. Should be able to bind yourself in outside zones. I think the url is more about binding others. However, the planes portion is confusing.

17. actualspaide

actualspaide People Like Me

Melee can bind in pom with stuff like locket of escape if they were to exist

18. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

And they never did on AK far as I knoe.

19. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Ok cool. Thanks. I just wanted to make sure before I create a page for it. Anything I create, pls correct if it needs additions/corrections as always.

20. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

As a Ranger I used to be bound in City of Mist when I was going to be spending a lot of time in Sebilis. It was possible at the zone in at least. This would have been 2001 or so. Can't say if it was possible on AK, never tried there.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  21. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

I thought that was one of CoM’s schticks. You could bind there because it was a “city”

22. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Exactly. Just can't remember if it was everywhere or only zone in.

23. Wellmine

Wellmine Active Member

I can say they did not exist from dropping but Hobart did do a GM event and released several so melee could bind in PoM. The server economy did put a high value on these, it was really the only major use for it for melee.

24. Shawn

Shawn People Like Me

I remember binding in Tim Deep at the porting pots on live...think it was nerfed eventually cause of this.

25. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Timorous Deep bonding was removed in Kunark and returned in PoP. I think they figured that once PoK was in there’s no reason to prevent FirePot binding.

26. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

fyi, I essentially mirrored that page that Rob linked for safe keeping into our wiki. It was mostly about binding others anyway, so I removed the planes entries and just updated a bit of verbiage. When I am making zone pages, I'm adding a 'bindability (self/others)' entry to designate if casters can bind themselves or if they can bind others as well. Feel free to edit or PM me with corrections/changes if not comfortable editing the wiki.

http://wiki.takp.info/index.php?title=Binding_in_Norrath

27. Torrinn

Torrinn Active Member

Wasn't there an announcement on live a few years ago that they fixed a "bug" that allowed players to bind others in places where they should never been allowed to bind them? This messed up a lot of people because they would now have players in their groups or guilds who could no longer be bound in the place where they would be going. As far as I'm concerned, waiting almost 20 years to fix this "bug" that players had gotten used to was just another example of the wrong headed thinking at Daybreak. Nobody ever saw this as a "bug" and I'm sure nobody ever reported it as such. I think Daybreak just called it a bug so they could screw over the players and have justification for doing it.

28. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

I know on TAKP for a period of time you could bind in so may different places. The Great Saprophyte was one such place. You bound, got the error message saying you can't bind here. Then you would camp and /char would show you your new bind spot. This bug has been long since quashed.

Mokli, you're doing the lords work!

Choir likes this.
  29. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Thanks, Choir and myself have put a lot of time into the zone pages recently and some other areas. Far from complete. Still weeks/months of stuff to do.

Choir likes this.