Do Bards get Double Attack in Al'Kabor?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Loadsamoney, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Loadsamoney

Loadsamoney Member

Want to give this server a try, deciding on what to play. Thinking of Bard because it's something I was thinking of playing on P99, and I already have a 41 Ranger there, but I'm only game to playing it if they are capable of becoming competent melee DPS later. That means Double Attack, Dual Wield and Crits.

Do Bards get any of that via AA in Al'Kabor?

2. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Competent melee dps?

How do you compare?

A bard in a group of melee, singing overhaste, makes a significant contribution to dps increase. But if you are looking at the bard alone melee dps? Not so great.

I think individual dps, is not a valid measure for evaluating the contribution a bard brings.

H

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Linkamus and Slayzz like this.
  3. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

Bards and Beastlords get AAs that grant them a 15% chance to double attack in PoP. Other melee classes end up with around 67% chance if I recall. Double attacks aren't the only source of DPS though.

4. Loadsamoney

Loadsamoney Member

Yeah, I'm looking at the Bard in terms of their own DPS, not how they affect the DPS of others. I like playing support, but when a team of friends or guildies is unavailable, I want to be able to solo later without having to resort to swarmkiting. If their DoT's can pick up the slack for not having Double Attack naturally, then that works for me too.

The Double Attack AA is only 15%? I thought it was something like 6-10% per rank. But still, if they get it at all, I'd be happy.

5. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Very confusing post to me.

He said “melee dps” and bard. Which is something a person who plays a melee class would think is a valid measure of viability.

Melee dps is not a bard’s primary contribution. They aren’t a top melee dps class. That would be more of a ranger, monk, rogue.

Its almost like saying you want to play an enchanter. If they get AAs to crit nukes, so they can be a competent nuking dps.

Its not really a valid comparison.

6. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

A bard will be limited in trying to solo for exp, depending on only bard dps. That is if mobs are hitting you.

I guess you could. But gonna need good gear and will have a fair amount of down time.

Dont get hit. Bards can do some amazing soloing. But that takes you into swarming. Which you didnt want to do.

H

7. Loadsamoney

Loadsamoney Member

I think I'll give it a try anyway. I had a Beastlord on TGC with 200 AA's and it had pretty good melee DPS with Double Attack and Crit AA's. Maybe Bard will be comparable when factoring in haste and damage songs.

Besides, I like playing support classes that bring good things to a party.

8. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Savok started here as only playing a bard. I think he has a few other classes he also plays now too, beastlord being one of them.

Playing one char to 60, being a bard, totally doable.

9. Loadsamoney

Loadsamoney Member

I'm strictly against boxing, so any alts would be played separately, one at a time. Even if boxing is allowed, I refuse to do it. I'm a one toon man.

Linkamus and tragedie37 like this.
  10. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

A level 65 bard with War Drums of the Rathe (and all relevant AAs) could theoretically crank out about 140 song DPS against a single target, but that number takes a hit if you lose one of the four big dots due to an immunity, which you're all but certain to in e.g. the Elemental Planes.

The same bard with endgame PoP gear might do about 100 DPS from songs and 60-70 DPS from melee with high-end weapons and the best worn mods.

I'm not sure how either of those options compares to forgoing dots in order to crank up the damage shield, but that's another way for a bard to do a lot of damage under the right circumstances.

I don't get the sense that Al'Kabor's bardic solo artists relied on melee a whole lot, though.

11. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

I never suggested you box.

I will warn you now. Many people box here. Some solo.

If boxing bothers you, dont do it. If other ppl boxing bothers you, either get over it, or you may want to stick with p99. Because it will eat at you non stop til you actually do accept it, or rage quit.

12. Loadsamoney

Loadsamoney Member

I'm not bothered by others doing it, I just won't do it myself. If it's a common practice for one player to box entire parties or raids though, that I'm a bit more on the fence about.

13. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

If you see someone who looks like they are boxing more than 3 chars, please report it. I love banning those dudes.

Kithani, Radda, Linkamus and 4 others like this.
  14. Loadsamoney

Loadsamoney Member

3 is the maximum? No worries then, I'm perfectly fine with that. I'll keep an eye out.

Alright, I'll give Bard a try, if I don't like it I'll just go back to Beastlord. Just need to get the game set up, and I'll balance playing it with my Ranger on P99 and see how it like it. Luclin was my favorite era because of Beastlords and AA's, so I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks for the input everyone.

15. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

No mouse scroll wheel zoom.

Client is older.

If you play p99 and here. You likely will end up hating our client. Playing here and p99, rarely works out long term.

Just saying.

16. Loadsamoney

Loadsamoney Member

I actually hate the P99 client, has brightness and clipping issues and i dont like how it handles zoning. I crash too often.

17. actualspaide

actualspaide People Like Me

Bards are great just not a melee dps force. Chants as rw said, charming is a feasible way to dps, and of course swarming are all the main dps routes for bards

18. Loadsamoney

Loadsamoney Member

What about just Twisting DPS/DoT songs with melee? With a Haste song of course.

19. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

BST do significantlky more DPS than Bards

20. Loadsamoney

Loadsamoney Member

Well I'm probably going to make a Beastlord as well just because it's one of my two favorite classes from Live, Barbarian Beastlord and Froglok Paladin. And they're excellent at soloing, something I enjoy doing. They just don't bring much to a group.

But one thing I need to ask, since Al'Kabor is in Luclin era, that means the Bard/Beastlord AA's for Double Attack aren't available to them yet, right? I believe they're called Bestial Frenzy and Harmonious Attack?

21. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

I suggest you get on and play. Obsessing over double attack is kind of like monk AC and ranger archery.

Hyacinth, Devour_Souls and lurari like this.
  22. Loadsamoney

Loadsamoney Member

I'm downloading it right now, but I may change my mind at the last minute and go Paladin, since that was my favorite class of all. Then I'll be obsessing over Two-Handed Bash incase I can't ever get my epic.

23. actualspaide

actualspaide People Like Me

Tbh probably more dps just chanting with a drum but I haven't crunched the numbers. But bards melee dps is negligible. There were like tunare fights in velious where I've done like 3000 total dmg over the entire fight with haste maxed, avatar etc and best bard weapons at the time

24. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Now its 2 hand bash?

Seriously?

Radda and lurari like this.
  25. Loadsamoney

Loadsamoney Member

For an Admin, you're not very welcoming to your own server man. But yes, that's a game changer.

26. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

its slightly better now with a bane and cf3 but its still terrible. do more dps twisting dots
    double attack in pop wont change much

27. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

He's got a sense of humour

lurari and Cadsuane like this.
  28. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Please explain. How is 2 hand bash a game changer?

lurari likes this.
  29. Loadsamoney

Loadsamoney Member

It's a stun for interrupting spells, for one. For another the only two-handers that otherwise allow Bash without this AA are the epics, so this gives you a lot more freedom in weapon choice if you want access to Bash without having to use a shield.

30. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Mobs 56 and higher almost never get interrupted by bash. FYI.

lurari likes this.