Misc feedback requests

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Torven, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

The brown thing is true for flawless hides I thought - could be blood too - that area was where I thought we had to camp for the better TS stuff.

And might make sense why RW might not have seen more than 1 blood if he wasn't in the horror construct farming areas.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  2. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

Faults is right that I didn't do much hunting at 4 corners or whatever they call the pyramid that used to have the silvered guards out front before the revamp.

I do remember having to go hunt browns at 4 corners for something in order to make a bag - my guess is that Faults and Elroz are right and that I'd gotten the requisite blood somewhere else and needed a flawless tae ew hide from a brown lizard. I don't remember it taking a horribly long time to get whatever I was after, but maybe I got lucky.

3. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

Blood only dropping from brown lizards makes sense because the blood (a single blood and nothing else not from vendors) makes weapons better than some of the zone drops from rare green lizards. Also my logs are mostly of green lizards, and some of the brown kills are from the gnome quest, which could explain why logs have no blood looted. Although I still have about 100 brown lizard kills in here.

4. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

I'm not sure gnome walk browns counted, I remember going into the pyramid camp specifically for those browns for the Scales and the hides that I wanted.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  5. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

I should clarify: I see about 100 non-gnome quest brown kills in the logs

6. Jugo!

Jugo! People Like Me

Torven, you are correct- I misread the recipes and assumed scales were required for the sheets. They are not. A mere blood gives you Loot that is worse/the same as a Reaver loot wise. "monumentally stupid", indeed.

Yes, I guess your comment on SoE's decision rubbed me wrong. Different Era, Different Dev and Player mindset.

That aside, Didn't CT revamp come out around the same time as BD Cultural? These req 51 weapons may just have been SoE's way of rebalancing/resetting the average 51+ grouping player's gear along with BD cultural. (see: ornate in PoP)

SoL release: Dec 01
    CT revamp: March - June 02? (from general 5 minute research)
    BD cultural release: May 02?
    PoP release: Oct 02

7. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

CT revamp was March 7. Cultural seems to be May 8 with more added in June.

I think the designer may have made a mistake with the weapons and had them use vendor sheets of metal instead of Lizardscale plate sheets. Certainly comments in 2003 talk about the market flooding with certain items, like the wisdom shield, after blood drops were massively increased. Smiths were skilling up on that stuff. The armor has other bottlekneck items, so the dude probably just looked at that and increased bloods thinking it's fine, and not noticing the weapons/shield issue. I wonder if TLPs were flooded with Tae Ew weapons.

8. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

As I mentioned above, there is one blood drop in the logs submitted by Bastette: nobody looted the vial because they were forced to evac shortly after it dropped (that's CT for you), but Zetro clearly links it in groupsay. It's not clear what mob it drops from, but they do kill a brown lizard shortly before the conversation about the blood.

On the subject of balance, I tend to agree with Jugo. The ratio on the craftable CT one-handers is the same as the ratio on exquisite velium weapons, which drop from the tougher WW dragons but also rarely from Chetari trash mobs in DN and can sometimes be bought in the bazaar for less than 5k. The two-handers are admittedly a bit better, comparable to low-end Velious raid two-handers from Dain, Statue, or ST golem named (priceless).

That does not strike me as out of line with the rest of CT's groupable loot, nor does it seem inappropriate that an item crafted with a rare drop component from CT trash should be on par with – or even, in some cases, superior to – loot from groupable named in the same zone. PoP random tradeskill drops continue this trend, as several of the random-drop TS components from trash mobs are more valuable than groupable named loot in the same zones (to wit: the bloodmetal earring of engagement from Tactics and the ER4 and EH4 craftable items from Innovation and Tactics; not to mention the highly valuable EP craftable bows, rings, focus items, and armor, which admittedly require an RZ kill to access).

CT is a great dungeon. It's challenging, charm doesn't work, and AE groups are obviously out of the question. For this reason, it won't be a big draw to min-maxxing exp grinders, but a few of the named drops, and the mini-raid loot, will remain a draw for treasure hunters into PoP. So will Tae Ew Hide Sacks, which are trophies for bag hunters. These will bring bored level 65s back to the place if the components are not winning-the-lottery/bottomless box levels of unheard of.

For that reason, if I were developing the zone, I would be inclined to put the most optimistic interpretation possible on what seems to have been the stupidly rare drop rate on the blood. Nobody is going to be skilling up with this stuff, but it'd sure be nice to come away from a long crawl with a TS piece or two now and then.

Hah! You're probably right. Yeesh.

pharmakos and Jugo! like this.
  9. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Designer mistakes with TS combines are all too common. The Velium/Acrylia breakdown combines yielding single bricks rather than double for example!

I recall the Shield and the Tunic being the big items that people made back in the day after the blood drop rate was increased.

On TLPs due to instanced raiding there isn't much of a lack of weaponry when any old group of players could pop a ToV or ST instance and get 20 rotting weapons better than CT weapons.

10. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

Bastette sent me logs without chat.

The Tae Ew Two Handed Sword has +2 damage +1 delay compared to Exquisites and the Tae Ew has 100 hp with other stats as well.

That crafted 2hander is better than:

Savage Stone Axe
    Greatsword of Discipline
    Savage Warblade
    Rubicite Staff
    Ooze Encrusted Maul

all of which are camps in the zone. It also has a better ratio than the paladin epic, so these flooding the Bazaar is not something I'd particularly like to see. Cultural armors also obsolete much of the armor drops in here.

I wish Sony had itemized better. The game could be a lot better just from smarter itemization alone.

11. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

Flooding the bazaar?

We Should Be So Lucky.

Our market is dead.

EDIT (Isn't the trivial like 300 or something anyway?)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    lurari likes this.
  12. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Trivial on all of these combines are 295.

For someone with max tradeskill of 252 modded, that’s still about a 20% failure rate. Which isn’t too bad but is definitely noticeable.

Most all of the PoP pottery combines are 295 as well and I can tell you after farming for 1 or 2 PoFire or PoWater ceramics only to hit two failures in a row was extremely painful.

As far as the blood, it shouldn’t be a common drop, sure. But I also don’t think it should be a Bottomless Box drop rate either. Somewhere in the 1-3% range seems like it could feel right. If we are talking only brown lizard she of which there aren’t many in zone, I’d lean more to the 3-5% range for them.

If that’s the drop rate no one will be skilling up on them, but you may actually see some things being crafted and sold.

13. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

I used to set up at the top near amy's at a safe spot and farm, with a good group u can pull 4 or 5 named which all have at least 1 really good drop. The brown lizard named drop 2 or 3 items per kill too. Pretty much the best farm spot in the game for making cash in luclin from what I found. The TS mats are a good bonus for trash clear, also horror construct event brings in a few really high end droppables. I was amazed that I never saw a single person when I was up there, I think one time a group camped fleshrippers was the closest I saw. Such an underrated zone.

14. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Did pacify work in CT on AK?

15. gardnerjens

gardnerjens People Like Me

Couldn't you charm a few of the raptors?

16. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

On the plus side, it's good to know not to bother with something even before it's released.

17. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Eh I mean for anyone who is in a raiding guild on this server (which I imagine is a fairly large chunk), whether that guild be farming Halls of Testing or Vex Thal, the tradeskilled items are basically useless to them and their core alts. The armor is all worse than HoT armor and the weapons are all worse than primals or ToV weaponry.

Realistically those bloods will mostly just get used to make the bags which are simply a status symbol or a convenience thing for having a 10 slot 100% WR bag that has a unique graphic (though the first anniversary Gala bag sort of ruins this part of its appeal).

In the end, whether they are 3% drop rate or 0.01% drop rate I really don’t think that’s going to impact the interest in the zone. At least not initially while there are still named drops to camp. Perhaps it will after people acquire their FT boots, clickies or focus effect items they want.

But who knows! Maybe CT will have an EXP rate that makes it the premier EXP zone in the game. I’d really like to see that but I doubt it, 60 AA exp sucks everywhere outside of planes and AE groups.

18. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

wasn't talking about CT zone as a whole, just specifically about trying for some of the tradeskill things

CT as a whole zone is going to be great, really enjoyed it back in the day

19. Locnar

Locnar Member

I spent a lot of time in CT back in the day on the mage/cleric duo. I used a lot of pet pulling to cherry pick my way but it was still super dangerous. I remember gravitating to that zone specifically because my combo there was on a more equal level with the enchanter/druid (or enchanter anything) hordes.

I remember thinking that the difficulty of CT should of been replicated across the whole game. It was a hard and brutal zone at intended level and numbers. Really was a mystery to the place with how rare some things were.

20. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

Does Avatar of Fear always drop 2 items? Or randomly 1-2 items?

21. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

2 on live iirc. I don't believe it died on AK ever.

(The golems all drop 1 and then avatar 2)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  22. Elroz

Hmm I thought it was random 1-3 items from each, just like acidic mass boss.

23. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

I was checking through comments today and most seem to have at least 5 items - a couple with 6 so there must be variance somewhere.

24. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Or they could’ve gotten duplicates of the items.

25. Elroz

I did the event maybe 7 times all the way through, I'm about 95% sure each golem could drop 3 items at once, I'm not certain if the minimum was 1 or 2 though. I remember getting multiple scalecrackers in a single run though, so 100% sure they drop at least 2 loots as maximum.

26. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

The event was modified after AK's time. AK logs of the event have golems dropping one item. (On Live they drop two) Only one raid in the logs killed the Avatar of Fear however, and it dropped two.

Sony modified the zone several times over the years. Even recently.

27. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

Does anybody recall if PoJ trials had some sort of removal mechanism to prevent players from staying inside to grief people?

28. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

Good question. I don't know.

Camping or going linkdead in the room meant you'd log back in at the Tribunal area, so there was no looting a mark from a trial you didn't participate in. But I don't know what happened if you beat (or lost) a trial and then just stayed in the room to prevent anyone else from entering. Would probably make sense to banish people when the cooldown timer runs out.

29. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

I don't ever recall hearing of griefing in the trials. I want to say I vaguely remember after a long time you were evicted.

30. gardnerjens

gardnerjens People Like Me

i want to say that this, is a can of wurms, because trying to remove things that can cause griefying will alter the game. There are many ways to grief, like hitting a main tank during enrage with target DA etc etc. i dont seem to recall that you were forced out, but i am unsure wether the timer was ticking down when people left the area, or if it started ticking down when the event was over.

Another thing, have you tested the pathing, when bringing charmed mobs into the trials. i can tell this is a thing from live, but i am sure the Coth charm nerf. made it so that walking thru a teleporter with a charmed pet, will cause your pet to path there rather then get warped to you. This could be an issue, since mobs agro to your charmed pet. Alot of zones in Planes of power have teleporters and i am 100% sure that mobs wraped with you when you clicked or walked on them

Here are some posts from 10 december 2003

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=10310

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019