SK Spell Mental Corruption

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by John Stark, Nov 9, 2018.

1. John Stark

John Stark People Like Me

Does the lvl 52 SK spell Mental Corruption actually work?

My wife and I were killing Felwithe guards for a few hours a week or so ago, and this buff never proc'd a single time. The lvl 39 spell Scream of Death procs pretty regularly, but MC has not at all. My SK being 52 at the time.

I know that Mental Corruption had a bug on original AK from reading some other threads here, but I am not asking about that. I'm asking if the buff actually works at all.

Admittedly, a few hours of killing guards isn't much to base an assessment on, but to my mind that should be enough for it to trigger at least some of the time.

AK Lucy spell is listed here: http://lucy.alkabor.com/spell_2576.html

Mental Corruption Effect is listed here: http://lucy.alkabor.com/spell_2716.html

I'm not advocating either way for the bugged version to be added back in, or otherwise. I simply would like to know if this spell is working at all as it doesn't seem to be for me.

My SK is now 54 and I've tried the buff a few times since, but its has never proc'd a single time.

Thanks.

2. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

It works fine. I use it every day.

3. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

MC procs regularly for me, too.

It's not bugged like AK, but it's still pretty good. On dev at level 60, it gives 100 mana per proc. At 2 procs per minute, roughly the expected rate if you're constantly swinging with max dex, that's about FT 20.

That's a far cry from the full mana refill each MC proc gave on AK, and not quite as good as the 150 mana per proc it was eventually increased to on Live, but it's still purty gud. I prefer it to the straight lifetap proc buffs.

4. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

It works. I never use it. I prefer lifetap procs. I use VE clicky from gaunts from vamp castle.

H

5. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

I use Mental Corruption almost exclusively on my SK. Works like a charm!

6. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

I use it often. I only switch to VE on resisty types. Proc rate will be based off of your dex. I will say that I notice VE proccing more than MC, but that may be normal or anecdotal.

7. Liegezen

Liegezen People Like Me

MC on anything that isn't disease immune, and Shroud of Death/Undeath on things that are.

with the 3/3 in whatever that AA was called, it's a 150 point lifetap VS Vamp Embrace being under 100 iirc.

Never noticed a huge difference in proc rates, but personally I prefer using 100ish mana per proc for any spell I want VS getting 150 hitpoints when I may not even need HP.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    Pithy likes this.
  8. John Stark

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I appreciate it.

9. Morbo

Morbo Well-Known Member

What spells are worth casting that you need the extra mana from MC?

10. Liegezen

Liegezen People Like Me

SKs can pump out a decent little amount of dps through spells alone, with the proof being in a post made by Torven when he was doing some PoP calculations. It's still gonna drain your mana faster than MC can replenish it, but it still keeps it going for a little while longer.

And we also aren't in PoP yet, but keeping the spear line on cooldown against non disease immune mobs still adds a little bit of dps. We aren't dps classes, but I like to take it where I can get it.

11. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

The spears are also a bit of extra agro when needed along side with everything else.

12. John Stark

When my wife and I are playing with our kids (full group of 6 real players) its mostly to maximize whatever damage my SK can add to the equation. When my wife and I duo or box, its usually for aggro purposes.

Even in our family group though there are times that extra mana is great to keep aggro where it belongs, on the meat shield. Say on a nasty named that would eat a caster.

Mana certainly has never hurt when pulling either.

13. Liegezen

Liegezen People Like Me

You can get by in terms of agro generation without the extra mana since lower levels of the same spell will generate the same amount of threat as the higher level versions. Clinging darkness VS Dooming or cascading for example will all have the same initial threat amount with the only difference being the agro generated per tick since 1 damage ='s 1 threat when it comes to spells and dots.

Not that you were asking or anything, but just an extra note thrown out there. Same thing for the AC debuff spells like Shadow Vortex. I've been in situations in NTOV or HoT where I will eat a mana drain dot, and still be able to fire off multiple clinging darknesses per MC proc. Also Blood Ember Gauntlets will do the full threat amount on engulfing darkness if you find yourself with a mana drain keeping you at zero for the entire fight.

Cadsuane likes this.
  14. John Stark

Yep, I actually use clinging darkness a lot for aggro because its low mana, fast casting, and generates a lot of hate due to change (or attempted change) in the run speed of mobs. I rarely ever take clinging darkness out of its designated spell gem. That extra .75 to 2.25 second cast time advantage over other snares is very handy.

Still, its nice to keep the mana flowing for when I need to dump spears, taps, and so on to either get some snap aggro to get a mob off the shaman or cleric, or to help get that mob dead before it finishes a healer or caster off when taunt and clinging darkness don't seem to be enough.

Having played a Wiz on Live for years always keeps me conscious of mana management and always having a bit left for the emergency situational aggro needs. Or for FD for the corpse retrieval when all else fails and the cleric is dead.