Best compliments to box a rogue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nick121, Oct 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. nick121

nick121 New Member

Hello,

I am wanting to start to box the rogue I treid to solo with when I first joined this server. I was hoping to get some insight. should it be Pal/War/SK, rogue, and healer? Or is it better to go something like shammy, rogue, healer?

Thanks,
    Nick

2. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

I would say above all, pick what you like. Even if you just played 3 rogues, you can make it work.

I really like rogue/cleric and have played that duo several times. It sounds like you're just wanting the rogue for a box not as a main, so to get more damage out of it you might want an enchanter or shaman for haste. Bard could work too if you're into that.

3. nick121

nick121 New Member

I really want to focus on rogue but thought I would need a tank or something for it to be all backstabby. my other thought was rogue as main. necro to snare and a bard to sit there with aoe fear song on. would be stuck to fear kiting but sounds fun to me.

Thunderace likes this.
  4. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

It's tough to build a holy trinity (tank/slow/heal) trio with a rogue in it. Since the rogue doesn't naturally fill any of those three roles, you need one of the other toons to cover two. That probably means beastlord (tank/slow) or shaman (slow/heal or, with Torpor and enough gear, even tank/slow/heal). A third for the beastie trio could be cleric or druid (shaman utility overlaps a lot with the BL). Rogue/shaman/X is more flexible: pretty much any tank, healer or DPS could work.

Of course, you don't have to build a holy trinity trio. They're kind of a dime a dozen on this server. Alternatively, you could build yourself a DPS trio, then make friends with some folks who play trinities. Something like rogue/bard/wizard or rogue/mage/mage could be pretty cool. Team up with a self-contained trio, send their kill rate through the roof, spend most of your time enjoying the rogue.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Liegezen likes this.
  5. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

While fear kiting is doable, it sounds exceptionally tedious to me to have to chase mobs on their random fear pathing with a Melee toon.

If I were centering a box combination around a Rogue I would probably lean something like... Paladin, Rogue, Shaman.

This way Paladin can Rez and tank and pacify to pull most areas, Rogue DPS, Shaman slow, Haste and heal. You lack Snare here so get a snare proc dagger.

SK, Rogue, Cleric is also a solid option. You lack a slower here though.

Videri-Tala likes this.
  6. nick121

nick121 New Member

I have a pally close to rogue level with a ghoulbane so I think I will try darchons suggestion. Also this way if it is no fun I can #blamedarchon. In all seriousness thanks for the input guys. Love this community

pharmakos likes this.
  7. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

I suggest paladin/rogue/shaman to a friend of mine and he seems to do well with it. As does a paladin/shaman/necro - paladin/sham is a powerhouse duo that can conceivably carry any 3rd toon because it will fulfill most of the boxes required to do group/challenging content in this game.

(since paladin swing dps is meh you can use anklesmasher for a snare OR use something like toetwister on your rogue)

Oiwon and Videri-Tala like this.
  8. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

there are also a fair number of people who main rogues that just use the rogue as the tank in their trio. i love the rogue class, but i think its one thats only going to be really fun if you're willing to put a lot of effort into forming and finding groups.

9. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

I was rocking pal/shm/rogue for a bit in Velious while I was doing some grinding, it worked well, though was quite busy. I can still see it working well, though I haven't dusted the rogue off to play in Luclin yet.

10. Videri-Tala

Videri-Tala Well-Known Member

Pal/Shm/Rog is something I hope to try someday. With two melees, you’d get lots of value on the shaman’s buffing capabilities. Paladins make good pullers here due to the great effectiveness of Pacify spells.

On this server, I play Bst/Clr/Nec and it’s great. I might switch in a bard for the necro because I think that would help my guild’s raids more.

However, someone in another thread proposed Bst/Clr/Rog. That sounds amazing to me. The Bst can really hold aggro and is a great tank, especially with a cleric. And you can even have the Bst use a shield if you want. So your slower is your tank, and it has a strong dps pet to help it hold aggro. Stab away! One drawback is I believe beastlords don’t get haste until 59. It’s Alacrity, which is 40%. At least haste items are cheap here.

11. Slayzz

Slayzz People Like Me

I have to jump on the Pithy bandwagon here... I was thinking about the holy trinity as well and thinking you needed a tank so you could backstab as well as a healer/slower and was contemplating shaman, pal, etc etc.

Never did I even think about BL... for some reason I always forget about them, but I have to say it’s hands down the best option you have imo... takes care of slow and tank and has some good offensive buffs for rogue including haste (even tho alacrity isn’t the best)

BL/Rogue and either a cleric or Druid would be a solid team. Or like others have said Pal/Shm/Rogue could be good as well. Only prob with shaman as your only healer is that their heals suck til almost 60 so you’d have to add a pal along with shaman imo... I like the shaman as a tank healer and slower along with rogue and another dps like wiz/mage etc as well (that’s what Fanglore does) but shaman needs to be well geared so might need to be your main

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  12. nick121

nick121 New Member

Side question. Do epics have a min level for turn in or use on here? Ragebringer dreams

13. solar

Level 46

14. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

Really can save the backstabbing for raids or groups. Cleric/shaman/rogue would be just fine. The slowed mobs could be held by rogue and the cleric could keep him up. Not the best DPS trio but definately could plow through to 60 without trouble.

15. Tanno

Tanno New Member

I've been doing rog/dru/enc and it has worked decently well to 50. Can only backstab runners/casters or when fear/ID kiting, but it works well enough. I don't foresee any problems getting to 60. The rogue tanks xp mobs fine for now, and the druid ghetto CH will be plenty for keeping charm pets up for exp/aa later on.

16. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

@Slayzz

How can you forget about me?

#troll forumquester

17. Morbo

Morbo Well-Known Member

Rog/Rng/Shm would be a great trio. It's good dps for the line of reasoning Pithy mentioned and rng/shm has amazing synergy. Add crazy rog dps to that synergy and you win. I did Rng/Mnk/Shm a while back on a different server and it was really really good. Rogue instead of monk would have been even better.

Pithy likes this.
  18. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

if you want to know what its like with a main rogue tank you can hit up @Tarkon (although with his gear he might as well be a low level plate class) - you can also check @Cazar for pally/rogue/sham with the rogue as a main

ask @Bum about his time as faite + sham

19. Tarkon

Tarkon Well-Known Member

I main a rogue and box a cleric and enchanter. When I charm with my enchanter, I typically tank on my rogue. If I am not charming, I typically tank on my enchanter (typically via root parking) and backstab on my rogue.

I prefer this to a SK/Pal/Bst + Rogue + Healer combo. Boxing two melees is a pain in the ass with all of the positioning you need to do. And, to be honest, enchanter and cleric are so powerful that they go with any third toon.

cattaneo and Slayzz like this.
  20. Slayzz

Slayzz People Like Me

I could never forget you :) I just associate people with their mains... and I consider your main the mayor of the bazaar known as bumsloots who sits quietly in his golden armor collecting people’s plat near the nexus bank :)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Bum likes this.
  21. Tryfan

Tryfan People Like Me

Enchanter/cleric. Afk the rogue while the enchanter kills everything with his pet. Rogue is too much apm.

cattaneo likes this.
  22. cattaneo

cattaneo Member

This is the truth. It's what I do with Rog Clr Enc like Tarkon. Use your stuns on your cleric to manage charm breaks. You can make it really easy by creating a macro that casts the targeted AOE cleric stun, onto your chanter himself, to stun the loose charm pet attacking the chanter.

Rogue is really just there to be in attack range of the mob you're killing so that, in the event of a charm break, only the loose charm pet is attacking your chanter instead of both mob and loose pet.

Obviously it's not ideal compared to a tank class, but you still get to have your rogue fun in groups and raids. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty fun to 3box and have afk attack on the rogue while managing your spellhasted, dual wielding, haste item'd up wild wrecking ball of a charm pet mowing stuff down!

Pithy likes this.
  23. nick121

nick121 New Member

So the charm pet tanks and dps? Cleric heals charm pet or you let it die?

24. cattaneo

cattaneo Member

Rogue tanks and charm pet is simply dps. The charm pet actually becomes the 'rogue' of the group; have him attack from behind to avoid riposte and dodge = more dps.

95% of the healing I do while 3 boxing is on the rogue. Pet takes exceedingly little damage, ideally.

Edit,: OK, 95% is on the rogue / chanter. She definitely needs heals too haha

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  25. cattaneo

cattaneo Member

And lastly, you don't have to charm at the lower levels. You can just use the chanters line of invisible man pet spells (XXX's Animation) to be a lot safer / easier. You can't manually command those pets to attack (they only assist the chanter if he is attacked), so I like to pull with chanter's slow, get attacked once on chanter so the animated pet begins attacking, then steal agro back easily with your rogue tank.

26. Ryde1

Ryde1 New Member

Depending on what I am fighting I will let my cleric tank or bard tank using blinding lumi and/or blind whip. Works well as long as stuff doesn't hit for a ton. Then let the rogue dps away.

27. Morbo

Morbo Well-Known Member

Your trio is brd/rog/clr? Points for unconventional.

28. solar

I ran that trio for a while, though not on TAKP. It's still like the trinity but your tank is the rogue instead of SK and your utility is bard instead of enc. Easier with /melody but can do a lot of the same stuff with a bard that you can with enchanter. I highly recommend this trio!

29. Ryde1

Ryde1 New Member

Wasn't my primary leveling up that was rog / clr / chanter, but I use the bard alot now in place of a real tank and it works well on most stuff as long as its not snare resist.