What Class/Race Would You Never Play, & Why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by John Stark, Sep 25, 2018.

1. John Stark

John Stark People Like Me

For me, I have no real interest in playing a cleric or a shaman, although at one point back on Live 2004ish I thought about rolling up an iksar shaman to box until my wife said she wanted to play one. Primarily healing and buffing as a group role doesn't appeal to me.

As to the races, halfling doesn't do much for me unless it was, perhaps, a halfling rogue (I'd more likely try rogue as a dark elf or human).

Half-elves seem pretty meh.

I thought more than once back on Live about rolling a gnome necro or magician, but would prefer to play either of those as either a dark elf or iksar (necro) or high elf (magician).

So, what race/class combo would you "never" play?

2. Neopolitan

Neopolitan Member

Human Necro

Just a bland choice for such a class.

3. Foxhorde

Foxhorde People Like Me

Human necro for the win!!

solar likes this.
  4. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Human anything. Terrible race.

I like my Halfling cleric, but I had to get her a wood elf crown because screw getting stuck on stairs. Would not play another.

lurari likes this.
  5. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Troll beastlord

Slayzz and Morbo like this.
  6. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

High elf or wood elf anything...just so many everywhere...halfings because of their harry feet, just so gross...and paladins, ugh. I think for Paladins, its their whole D&D persona that turns me off. The whole "I am incapable of lying, don't fret, I will save you!" is bland to me. I like my characters to be more inline with the chaotic, whether neutral, good, or evil.

Humans and Dark Elves are by far the best races. Half elves aren't bad, they are half human, so they have that going for them.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    Slayzz likes this.
  7. Aerili

Aerili Member

I hate gnomes.

8. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Halflings. Gnomes. Any class.

Any ranger.

Mokli likes this.
  9. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

All halflings I really don't enjoy.
    All dark elves (lol @ wood elves and high elf too common)
    All Erudites
    All Erudites (They get listed twice for how much suck you have to endure)
    All humans
    All barbarians
    All vah shir.

Mokli likes this.
  10. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

From a RP perspective human necro is great. Human's having the tendency to seek power at the cost of their soul is a bedrock fantasy literature archetype.

Radda, Mokli and Morbo like this.
  11. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

I could never play a gnome beastlord with a clockwork spider warder.

Radda, Bum and Quirk like this.
  12. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

Because they would have Chetari warders - and the hooded rat model is awesome.

Here's a preview of the hotness

[​IMG]

Videri-Tala likes this.
  13. Morbo

Morbo Well-Known Member

Human anything. It's a high fantasy RPG, and people pick human? I could be and elf, a dwarf, or OOOO a huuuuuman!!! No thanks.
    Erudite anything.
    Any race male enchanter.

14. DCortez

DCortez Member

Just say no to halflings

15. cattaneo

cattaneo Member

Gnome anything. The whole race is a pestilence that blights all of Norrath. I'd round them up in AkAnon, lock the doors, and burn it to the ground if I could!

Rhanx, Bragon, Bum and 3 others like this.
  16. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

This is why gnomes win - you can't "lock the doors" on a race that tunnels like a pro - also they don't use wood because they are better than the rest of you. Furthermore only one race had the ability to break into potime - GNOME POWER!

Videri-Tala and lurari like this.
  17. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Kagatob, pharmakos and Sketchy like this.
  18. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

Nothing wrong with the common combos.
    I don't play any kind of beastlord because I don't like having to set up and maintain a summoned pet. Charm pets are way cooler.

The 3 priests classes are high up on the list for me. Shaman and cleric are more specialized but you really should try a druid if flexibility and utility appeal to you. It's probably the best utility box to have even if you aren't going to play it as your main. Even if all you do is cast fire nukes, you've got a way to port out when you're done, or to SoW up for your corpse run when it goes bad.

19. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

All great things must first wear terrifying and monstrous masks

Radda and Videri-Tala like this.
  20. Morbo

Morbo Well-Known Member

poursoul and Mokli like this.
  21. John Stark

John Stark People Like Me

Back on live my main was a Wiz, and my wife's was a druid (both 75 when we quit). I considered giving druid a go a number of times for the reasons you offered here, but when we finally decided to switch our mains to SK/Sham, we used her druid for travel and buffs/snares/nukes so I never really felt the need to try one of my own since I could just use hers.

Now here on AK not only does my wife have a druid alt that she solos sometimes, but some of my kids do as well. When the new computers arrive, it'll be a treehugger army running around PoK.

Radda likes this.
  22. Mitya

Mitya Well-Known Member

Wow, I didn't realize so many people were salty over something so silly. :)

When I first played on live, I was a dark elf necromancer. It seemed appropriate, because of the whole "Evil guy being evil doing evil shit" - but then I couldn't fucking go anywhere without every guard or npc within a 10 mile radius coming for my head. It was tolerable at first but quickly became a pain in the ass. So I re-rolled into a gnome worshipping Bertox and it was glorious. None of the guards wanted to kill me. Even the druids tolerated me. The paladins were dicks though. Keep in mind this was a time during which there were no PoK books or "neutral areas" so having freedom to walk in and out of almost all cities was pretty sweet.

For me personally, I love almost all of the races in their own unique way. I really liked the idea of Frogloks when they got released, but I hated the way they looked ultimately. Humans are a bit boring...so are Erudites. When EQ2 came out, my wife lived by those Ratonga rat people - she just loved the hell out of them. I ended up enjoying them a bit, too. I made a Rat assassin that I enjoyed.

As far as classes... I've never made a ranger. I've never wanted to. I don't dislike them or hate them, I've just never been interested in them. I've always loved pure casters (access to gate is so paramount) but I definitely have to say that my heart is currently in a two way tie between necromancer and bard for being my favorite class.

I love my necromancer from the rich utility and past I have with the class but bard is just so fucking cool. It's like they are little mini badasses that can do everything. They're like having a morphing puzzle piece that can fit nicely into any puzzle. They add DPS, resists, utility, you name it.

Videri-Tala likes this.
  23. Saenayil

Saenayil People Like Me

Technically I have played every class, but the least appealing for me to main would be -

Druid
    Beastlord
    Magician

And for no particular reason either. All three of these classes are quite powerful, but I never found them appealing. I could definitely see myself caving and incorporating a druid/magician into a future trio though.

As far as races are concerned, you can gtfo of here with humans and erudites. I'm not going to be blind for nothing.

cattaneo likes this.
  24. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

Human is the best paladin race tho!

25. Mitya

Mitya Well-Known Member

Hehe it looks like you misspelled gnome there for a second. ;)

Faults likes this.
  26. Dane

Dane People Like Me

Faults is Mitya, confirmed.

27. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

Even in full plate, gnomes are light enough to punt to the next zone other. Would not play.

28. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

I definitely appreciate this man. I mean avatar, check. Gnome love, check. Paladin love, check. Future bard main, check.

He started as a delf necro, I started as a wood elf ranger, and a brell gnome magician. I think we may have differing origins :p

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    lurari likes this.
  29. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

The high action per minute classes (shaman, necro, bard) have always seemed interesting to me but I'm not willing to box them regularly and I've never gotten around to having one as a main.

30. Oiwon

Oiwon People Like Me

I would never play a human monk, because humans are dumb and monk ac hurts peoples feelings :(