Ranger or Tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Neopolitan, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Neopolitan

Neopolitan Member

Looking to spur a discussion about the combinations of Enchanter + Cleric + Ranger/SK/Paladin/War

I'll lay out the pros and cons of each and maybe someone who is familiar with this timeline could clarify, I come from p99, I did play live through GoD but I have played p99 for years and am much more familiar with the nuance of that timeline. Anyways here goes.

Ranger
    Pros: Tracking, Snare, Powerleveling, Excellent Range DPS, Some tanking up to 60
    Cons: Not a true tank, No Ports, Not easy to box with Cle+ench

SK
    Pros: True Tank, FD, Snare, Doesn't rely on Charm tank, better raid utility, Easy to Box, Fear
    Cons: Low DPS, High Gear Req, Not a warrior

Paladin
    Pros: True Tank, Stuns, Pacify, Rez, Buffs, Sweet FashionQuest, Easy to Box
    Cons: Low DPS, High Gears Req, Not a warrior

Warrior
    Pros: Beefy Tank, Easy to Box, Raid Utility
    Cons: Boring, Very high gear dependence, no utility

I am leaning toward a Ranger, I feel that I can take that trio to max level pretty easily and use it to adventure with harmony and the lull lines. I'm wondering what kind of liminations I can expect to see at the end game here in PoP. Relying on the Charm pet to tank means I would be focusing on the chanter to handle charm breaks, while alternating back to the ranger to shoot the bow. Is this viable gameplay? How viable is the Ranger PL?

Been messing around getting my UIs and clients settled before I jump back in. Look forward to seeing you all in game!

2. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

I think you should just play what you like. All of those are good combinations simply because cleric and enc are so powerful on their own and even more so together.
    It doesn't sound like you want warrior by saying it's boring, but consider that you will be busy on the other two anyway, so having no additional buttons to push might make the whole experience less taxing on you as a player.
    SK and Ranger play very similarly as tanks, and put out comparable DPS if you are actively playing them and casting all of their spells. Ranger tank is good enough for most things especially considering you're pairing them with a cleric that's gong to have clarity buff on. Paladin doesn't have good damage spells but the stun stuff is fun especially at low levels with KEI.

3. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

A limitation with charm in PoP is that many good pets in interesting places have high magic resist and are high level, so break charm a lot with just tash. Malo opens up many charm locations in PoP that are difficult to access otherwise. For that reason, the most versatile ENC/CLR/X trios are probably X = MAG or X = SHM.

A raid-geared shaman tanks as well as most non-tank melee (and holds aggro better) and adds spot heals, long-duration slows and various other utility. Mages are less gear-dependent and better DPS than shammies.

That said, melee toons are fun. With a chanter and cleric, any melee can work very nicely. The ones you mentioned, BL, monk, or even rogue would work just fine.

Asteria likes this.
  4. Neopolitan

Neopolitan Member

What about raiding? Assume clerics are not the limiting factor here. Are DPS in the highest demand?

5. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

Depends on the guild.

6. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

Recent changes to the way pcs in melee range benefit by proxy from a pet's hate generation might make the warrior have trouble with aggro while you're trying to land a slow. But, as your gear improves slow will matter less.

7. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

If you don't play what is fun or what you enjoy? Whats the point?

8. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Melee DPS like Rogues are probably the most uncommon class on raids, even though they are usually a parse topper next to wizards and trueshot Rangers.

If you’re pleasant, helpful, and willing to learn in areas you aren’t familiar with the game, most guild will take any class.

Asteria likes this.
  9. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

Some folks define their fun as how useful they are to the large group - without a desire to play a single class it is fun for them to fill a perceived need or void.

Fun isn't so narrow as choosing a class and conquering norrath.

Asteria and sowislifesowislove like this.
  10. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

With respect to raids, ENC/CLR/X is generally pretty bad. Clerics are great, but their value tapers off after 8-10 are present. Enchanters, eh, two is usually plenty for most raids, and they're probably the most common alts on the server so they're never in short supply.

Folks interested in maximizing their raid utility through boxing (IMO, a dubious goal, but to each their own) will probably want to go hard in a single role. The Nukem specials of WIZ/WIZ/WIZ and CLR/CLR/CLR are probably the most powerful raid trios.

Alternatively, one could choose boxes to support the primary raid role of their main. A tank might want to box a bard for AC or DS songs, for example.

Videri-Tala, gardnerjens and Asteria like this.
  11. Thunderace

Thunderace People Like Me

You'll have fun with rng / enc / clr + you can easily PL another class w that trio. Endgame PoP will entirely depend on your playstyle, bow kite, charm, etc.

Roll some toons and enjoy TAKP!

Rhanx likes this.
  12. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

Tanks are not in demand. If this melee character is going to be your "main", then avoid tank. Rangers, Rogues, Monks, Beastlords will be more effective as your "raid main" than the tanks. That said, boxed enchanters and clerics, like stated above, also aren't entirely useful, unless you're planning to join a guild who isnt yet established. If you want to join one of the current rotation guilds, you might be better off going with a high dps trio with a shaman or druid box.

But don't base your entire trio on your ability to adapt in a raid. Raiding is a small handful of most people's time in game. If you want a trio that can hold their own in any expansion, then Enc/Cleric/Melee is solid.

Other options if charming isn't for you, Beastlord/Cleric/Melee(or mage) is extremely strong once the beastlord gets some useful spells. But if you're a raider, pick what main you like best, and add some alts that support it outside of raiding. That's how I'd pick my trio if I had time to raid.

Asteria likes this.
  13. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Make sure you have a bladder of phenominal fortitude, if you plan to charm a lot.

No. Seriously.

Rhanx and Asteria like this.
  14. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

Bst/clr/dps doesn't get enough love for how powerful (and how many boxes it checks off) it truly is. Having your slower also be your tank and also be dps is a powerhouse. Perhaps in yet another life.

15. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

I would not even consider a warrior unless you plan to get serious raid gear for it. Even with raid gear, hybrids are better at charm handling in single groups.

Slayzz likes this.
  16. Morbo

Morbo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Kithani, Lenas and lurari like this.
  17. Bragon

Bragon People Like Me

Warriors are utter shit. The end.

SK/cleric/enc is the trfecta, but mages don't get enough love for how easy they are to box and how much dps they add with their epic pet. Sure is a lot easier to handle than charming as well (haynar is spot on with the bladder comment)

In the end it comes down to your preference and skil level. If you are skilled at three boxing already, enchanter is a no brainer. If you're just starting and feel this might be too much, i'd go mage.

BST / cleric / Mage would be a good compromise, you keep the slow on the BST and have some serious pet dps in the team, and decent tanking.

Oh, and don't believe any of that gnome propaganda bullshit. Make your tank an ogre. You're welcome.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  18. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Yeah, BL/healer/X is a pretty sweet setup. The BL brings tanking, slowing, mana regen and DPS. Add a mage or necro for a fun, lazy, AFK-friendly trio.

19. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

Bumbum does pretty much all the content with bst/clr/mag - its an unbelievable powerhouse

Asteria and Volkmeer like this.
  20. Dane

Dane People Like Me

To answer your original question, SK/Enc/Clr is the powerhouse as mentioned. However, Ranger allows you to do most of the same content and also allows for restroom breaks while charming. Break pet, cast Ensnare (13 min) on pet, mez pet, then log your trio out. As long as you don't take more than 13 minutes in the restroom, your pet will be awaiting your arrival like a good boy.

Asteria, Morbo, Lenas and 3 others like this.
  21. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

THIS GUY CHARMS

lurari likes this.
  22. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

Asteria likes this.
  23. Morbo

Morbo Well-Known Member

The pet won't slowly path back to its spawn?

24. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

npcs move at walk speed when not aggro'd so they cannot path while snared

Asteria likes this.
  25. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Another fun mechanic that I’m sure the developers never anticipated.

Videri-Tala and Asteria like this.
  26. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

From the people who thought FD was a GTFO mechanic alone.

Morbo likes this.
  27. Bragon

Bragon People Like Me

Or didnt anticipate ch rotations.

28. Neopolitan

Neopolitan Member

I have settled on Ranger / Enchanter / Cleric

See you guys in game, will be maining the Ranger - Destron.

29. Dane

Dane People Like Me

Excellent! If you see Benzarden around in game, shoot me a tell. I may have a few starter pieces that are collecting dust in my bank.

Neopolitan likes this.
  30. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

During Alpha I did an all lizard group of SK, Nec, SHM. They were a very tough group.