TOV pulling and Agro Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dairmuid, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Dairmuid

Dairmuid Active Member

Hello TAKP!

I'm hoping to glean some wisdom from you veteran pull teams. First the scenario and then a few general questions i have:

We are set up to pull Aaronyar in NTOV. I'm at the top of his stairs waiting to tag with a Javelin, we have a monk in 4 waiting to tag him with a Slowstone Amber. I tag Aaryonar and beeline for the WTOV exit.......Aary enters 4-way and the monk in 4 way puts 1 charge into Aary......he doesn't pick up agro. He puts a second charge into him.....still no agro. to anticipate some questions: I was the initial agro on Aaryonar and i had full HP the entire time - Yes, Aaryonar was hit by the slowstone (we checked).

We reset and try it again with root nets and (1) charge of a root net successfully rips him out of the train solo and we all jump for joy at our success.

Now the questions:
    1. Does anyone know why the slowstone wouldn't have pulled agro on that first run?
    2. Do puppet strings / mallets work better?
    Do guilds generally coth into the Aary pit once he's down and pull Kriezen and Feshlak down there? I'm so used to P99 where we coth'd / DA'd and pulled everything to zone. Is there anyone that i might be able to chat with on Discord or just in game about pulling TOV? I nerd out over pulling mechanics.

2. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

You weren't in melee range and he's a belly caster. Thats why the clickies failed.

Slayzz likes this.
  3. Dairmuid

Dairmuid Active Member

Do spells not generate any hate if cast on a mob that is a belly caster?

That still doesn't explain why the root net worked the 2nd time, as it was cast at range as well.

4. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

I believe because he's immune to root so maybe it bypasses the typical belly caster thing? but afaik clickies generate no or minimal aggro from range so the first click didn't overwhelm your initial aggro (10 vs i dunno whatever initial aggro bonus is 50 or 100)

Maybe you were 5 steps closer with the root net and technically within his melee range?

5. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

I have snared at Aary in the fourway and had him beeline to me, and done the exact scenario the exact same way from the exact same spot with him continuing to chase after the initial puller.
    Your current strat, best I can tell, is not predictable, nor 100 percent repeatable.

6. Slayzz

Slayzz People Like Me

All I can say is that aary is belly cast I believe. I’m no pulling expert but does slowstoneing and then sitting help???

7. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Spells cast outside of belly range should have no (or extremely little) effect. Such a small hate amount likely would not even surpass the "first to agro" bonus the initial puller had.

8. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Based on your description you’re relying on the strategies from P99, however our aggro code is very different.

As mentioned above, if you are not in Melee range on a belly caster, the resist is calculated before the Hate is added to the mob. So things like mallets and puppet strings and slowstones cast on bellycast dragons will result in almost 0 hate (you do get noticed which is minimal hate).

Also root is almost no aggro here. On P99 you’d be right and a root net charge would count for the same as a snare and pull a mob out of a train, but here even if you were in Melee range for the click it would generate almost nothing.

Unresistable spells however generate full aggro because they don’t require being in Melee range to land. So for example a Tash from a chanter, Malo from a shaman or Dragon Bane from a wizard would all generate full aggro.

The reason the root net likely worked for you is due to proximity aggro. You will find mobs in ToV are extremely sticky, they value proximity Hate very highly (to them tune of 2~ Wizard Nukes of Hate probably?).

For our guild we set up at the base of the Aaryonar stairs, killed Eashen and Aaryonar and then spent about 30-60 minutes killing the 10 Flurry drakes that circle the lava pit in north. Then we crawled to each dragon. At then end of Velious we were clearing Eashen - Twins in about 3-4 hours and skipped the Triplets.

Vyemm, Mirenilla, Feshlak, Kreizenn and Nevedaria are all permarooted on our server. Meaning you cannot pull them.

Dagarn, KoiDoken, Jorlleag and the Triplets are mobile however.

You’re forced to crawl the zone basically after Aaryonar. We ended up finding that the zonepull for Aaryonar wasn’t worth the time or effort when we were clearing the rest of north. We would just kill him in the hallway.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    Manstache likes this.
  9. Liegezen

Liegezen People Like Me

This. Also in this list is the SK Terror line, which is an unresistable spell along with a solid pulling class.

You're welcome op

Mokli and Faults like this.
  10. Dairmuid

Dairmuid Active Member

Thanks for taking the time sharing your insights. I'll give you an update on how things go shortly.....