Range > Agro , for which target mobs attack? (low level)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Baler, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

On Live, it's extremely common since they reduced the radius check pulse rate. On TAKP it should be significantly less common, but still possible. Obviously it's more common the faster you're running.

2. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

That makes sense, what I don't recall from live is faction hits if those that were auto-agroed never casted a spell or attacked that would add them to the hate list.

An example of this, in LoIO there is a tower with adventurers in it. They are all green to my 60's. They autoagro on my SK and Enchanter since they are DE's. My Druid is Human, so they remain above Indifferent. If you sit a kos toon in the center many of them will auto agro. When they do, if they run towards the SK only (due to positioning) and attack them and die to them, the Enchanter will also get a faction hit even though nothing beneficial or detrimental was casted or done. This kind of always struck me as odd.

3. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

wouldn't this also vary by mob type?
    from what I recall: alive type mobs would get agro on someone then stop doing the periodic "check for agro within my sphere" thing
    whereas undead mobs would constantly check and add new players that are nearby and proxy agro whoever was near

this was evident by:
    can minimally agro an alive-type mob and pull through a group and not have it agro sitting players
    trying to pull an undead mob through a group of players it will stop and hit nearest person

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  4. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

That's 'undead aggro', or what our code calls 'proximity aggro'. Right now our code is adding new people within melee range with no other check, but it should only add new people if they are closer to the NPC than the tank (and also in melee range) which I will correct very soon.

Incidentally it should probably be called 'dumb' aggro because it's also very common on animals and 'stupid' NPCs like yeti, golems, blobs.

I found these old comments from Rashere:

I have most of that implemented, but there are some very subtle quirks I'm not sure about yet and will likely not be replicated 100%-- particularly since each NPC has to be investigated individually and Sony/Daybreak keeps screwing with the game.

The hate cap phenomena I've only observed on animals and Vindicator so far. Vindicator has very undead-like behavior.

I've found plenty of non-undead, non-animal NPCs that 'undead aggro' and I'll flag more of these before next patch. Sony seems to have gone back and raised the intelligence of classic zone NPCs unfortunately, so I'll have to guess at some of these using Kunark and Veliouis zones as a reference.

The 'greatly prefer to go after the closest person' phenomena I observe on live seems to not be so 'greatly' at all, making me wonder if it was altered.

Slayzz likes this.
  5. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

My experience of this on both AK and Live back in the day was that it was pretty much absolute (as if the mob was actually rooted, pretty much) but really only applied to skeletons in newbie zones.

6. echofinder

echofinder Member

What is the base of the opposite behavior. Player tanking right at a MoB, and the MoB turns to cast on pets, usually a tash it seems from that type of MoB. I have been surprised of late to see this happening but maybe it always did and I just haven't crawled around with my trio in some time to remind me of that.

7. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

yes, mobs casting spells is normal behavior

8. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

Some spells (examples: many nukes, Trakanon's banish) will always be cast on an NPC's primary target, but others (examples: many debuffs, the Rathe Councilmen's banish) seem to be cast on a random (?) fool somewhere on the hate list.

This is AKurate, and I believe it's always worked this way on TAKP, too.

9. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Thats normal. That was great thing about enchanter mobs. They would start tashing first usually in group setting. And if you keep curing tash. They likely never got around to charming.

echofinder likes this.
  10. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

thanks clicky cure poison earrings, i always chain cure so they can keep tashing
    getting an epic mage pet charmed is not ideal

Slayzz likes this.
  11. Dairmuid

Dairmuid Active Member

This might be better posted in the "suggestions" forums, however, it's relevant to the conversation here:

TL;DR - My shaman pet agro'ing a mob that has social agro only, with another melee in range (Monk), will agro on the shaman, not the pet.

I noticed a change in pet agro last week. My team is MNK/CLR/SHM in their mid 40's. L34 Vigiliant Spirit pet. I would pull multiple mobs into camp on my monk. I would then tab target on my shaman and send my pet in to attack. My shaman's target wasn't always my monks target and the mob i would send the pet to attack would often be at 100% health. When this was the case, the mob would then agro on my shaman. Mind you, the only command i gave was /petattack. No heals, no slows, no dots. The mob would ignore the pet and the monk that was in melee range. This most often happened with Greater Plaguebone Skeletons.

Is this working as intended ???

12. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

Are you sitting on the shaman?

Slayzz likes this.
  13. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

On a related note:

I have noticed that proximity agro alone is not enough to keep a mob off of a cleric pet (I haven't checked against other summoned pets).

For example, my enchanter got agro on the roaming skeleton when I zoned into Kaesora the other day. I started swinging at it on the enchanter and attempted to dps it down with a cleric pet, while my enchanter tanked. However, every time I summoned a new pet the skeleton would turn and kill the pet before turning back to the enchanter.

Is this the intended behavior? It seems rather odd. Maybe an undead thing? The only other time I recall it happening was against Verix in KC.... but it's not like I go around tanking with my enchanter all the time so it's a pretty uncommon scenario to begin with.

14. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

No mob - whether undead, rooted, or whatever else - should turn on a pet while a player is in melee range. If that's happening, it's definitely a bug.

The pet definitely wasn't dying to riposte or to a damage shield?

15. Dairmuid

Dairmuid Active Member

I can confirm that my shaman was sitting when i clicked /petattack. I can also confirm, with 100% certainty that my monk was in melee range of the pet's target.

I made certain i could duplicate the behavior before posting here. It was very easy to duplicate. I will be back in city of mist tonight and will confirm again.

16. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

Definitely not, as the mob was actually turning around to swing at the pet. It was fairly reproducible from what I remember. I'll see if I can do it again today and then I'll make a bug report.

17. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

Slayzz likes this.
  18. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

I've definitely experienced Cleric pets getting prioritized over PCs when in Melee range.

It tends to happen when I'm only on my Cleric and I'm trying to kill something without having to load Cleric Nukes. But mobs see through my plan and kill my 100 HP hammer pet even when I'm in Melee range.

19. Dairmuid

Dairmuid Active Member

My primary concern is that my shaman shouldn't have been on the mobs hate list to begin with. He was well out of proximity agro range. Therefore, the only conclusion i can make is that /petattack puts the caster on the hate list of the mob. While i can't say for certain, it feels like this recently changed as it's only been taking place for the last week or so. Can anyone confirm?

20. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

No, that's always been the case, and it's working correctly. If your pet attacks a mob, the mob hates you as well as your pet.

21. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

Can confirm it's definitely not something new. When I send in my charm pet early, I have to wait a bit before sitting down or else i'll pull agro.

22. Dairmuid

Dairmuid Active Member

Thanks for the clarification here.

23. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

Here's something I noticed today:

On Al'Kabor, and on TAKP before the latest patch, sending a low-level pet in to tag a bunch of raid-level mobs would always result in instant death for the pet.

Now, if I sit down, a raid boss will ignore my pet and charge me with Jibober nipping furiously at his heels all the way. If this had worked on Al'Kabor, it would have made pet-pulling even more trivial than it was.

24. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

actually I'm not sure that's correct

/pet attack while sitting would make the npc charge the caster prior to patch, seen it a few times
    clr hammer pet even got a mob into summon health % as it was charging towards me while i was sitting, few weeks ago

25. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

The proximity bonus outstrips the sitting bonus somewhere in the 75k hp range, Rimidal.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  26. Zygote404

Zygote404 Active Member

My memory of proximity aggro existed with those Goranga guys in Maidens Eye. You didn't have to be sitting but just nearby them when they ran past chasing somebody. As soon as the person zoned they would kill everyone they ran past, was always a mass zone out when that happened. They often peeled off and wacked you if you were sitting and afaik remember Rumblecrush in the next zone would do that as well but no idea about adding you while he was running past. He definitely wacked you though without aggro even if the tank had it. Interestingly I remember those guys because they were so annoying in regards to the training, I thought it was because the tunnel was so small but perhaps it was because they were more inclined to add you or they had a larger aggro radius you were more likely to be inside the radius for the tick.

Of course that's memory from 20 years ago almost so take it with a grain of salt I guess.