Leveling a Bard in Dungeons: a few questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skogar, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Skogar

Skogar New Member

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to get some feedback on my game plan for the server. I’ve been suffering a bit from analysis paralysis, but am starting to make some progress in terms of levels.

Initially I’m playing a Bard with a Druid to support, and later to power level other characters. I’m planning to level in undead dungeons, so I choose a Necro to be the third. Maybe not the best synergy, but hopefully it will be good enough. Summon corpse will be welcome in some of the places I want to level:

Tower of Frozen Shadow
    Kaesora
    Dead side of Guk
    Charasis

Do people use low-level rogues for CR in some of the difficult areas? It may not be feasible to camp the level 39 summon corpse spell until mid / upper 40s. Seems that a low-level rogue may be useful once your main characters out-level lesser summon corpse.

Maybe I’m overthinking things, but my play time will be limited, and while most people I’ve encountered have been very helpful, I’d like to have the ability and skill to retrieve my own corpses.

The second floor in the Tower of Frozen Shadow seems like a good place to learn the charming game and experiment with tactics in general. Are the keys in the Tower soulbound?

I don’t think the keys in Charasis are soulbound.

Thinking ahead, I would like to attempt the charming game with an Enchanter. Is it possible to use a higher-level Bard to perma-mez the mob / pet for a lower-level enchanter, to ease the pain of charm breaks, even if the two are not grouped? I really don’t understand the mechanics that well.

There was a previous thread talking about a Bard / Necro combo with a Shaman, and that sounds like a good combination, but advanced, with a focus on the Necro while I’m more interested in the Bard.

If things get too slow I could always go with a Mage / Cleric to help the Bard along.

Thanks for your time.

2. Videri-Tala

Videri-Tala Well-Known Member

I think bard/druid/necro sounds great. You've got invis and invis-versus-undead, pacify, FD, and other tricks, so I think you'll be well equipped to retrieve your own corpses if necessary. Druids have evacs as a panic button. And soon enough, your necro can summon corpses. All 3 can solo, too.

3. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Pretty sure the keys are soul bound.

Perma-mezzing a charm pet is a very good idea and can be done from out of group. Also lets you gear up the pet well without worry that it will eat you.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  4. Videri-Tala

Also, Charasis keys are soulbound. Back in the day, they were initially not and made soulbound after a while (after some amount of tears, I assume).

5. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

I don’t think the keys in Charasis are soulbound.

I think he's referring to the keys for locked doors inside the zone, and the master key (hand of glory), which are not on /keyring (soulbound).

Videri-Tala likes this.
  6. Videri-Tala

Ah. Though, Skogar, there is now a permanent, not no-rent master key to all doors in HS, the Hand of Glory.

7. Mascha

Mascha People Like Me

I love TOFS, I really do, but it will be very tricky with all these casters if you are untwinked. And the keys are soulbound once you use them.

8. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Yes but it is neither soul bound nor added to keyring.

9. actualspaide

actualspaide People Like Me

It's easy enough to get the master key that you could do for 2 toons and leave one in the bank

10. Videri-Tala

A clever necro can fetch corpses in HS. :)

11. Skogar

Skogar New Member

Thanks for the responses.

I was a little confused about the key issue. So, the ToFS keys, from one level to the next, are soulbound and allow group passage. But in Charasis the keys from one wing to the next are no rent, though the entrance key is soulbound. I had assumed the Master Key would be difficult to Box...

I did a little more looking and found the P99 Key Compendium. It looks like a good reference but I know there may be differences between P99 and TAKP.

Years ago I went through ToFS, on live, with a melee character using mercs. There's a god-awful mob about half-way up the tower (4th floor I believe). At an appropriate level (dark blue con) I couldn't get past that mob, and those melee mercs are seriously overpowered at those levels.

12. Mascha

Mascha People Like Me

About TOFS: Caster mobs are severely overwowered. In TOV, they gang up on you and dispell, dot and nuke you like there is no tomorrow. I love the zone, but it is not a good zone for boxing, a level appropriate group might do well there.

13. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

The first floor is a fun little grind for a trio. Decent exp. The second floor is a nightmare. Just the worst.

14. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Correct.

A bit difficult to box, yes, but fun to do. If it takes multiple trips, leave a corpse with wing keys at the entrance. If you can find someone with a master key already, you can mostly pacify your way through the zone to get your own parts.

Cara Omica is probably who you're talking about, boss of 4th floor. She is a big under-con.

15. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

they are tradable, so just make friends with a rogue to go and pick up all the key pieces and give them to you

then you just need to go to west wing and get the container for the combine :)

Mokli, Manstache and Videri-Tala like this.
  16. Opttimus

Opttimus New Member

i used to love boxing my bard and necro on AK, lots of tricks indeed! can't go wrong adding a druid to that imo.

17. Skogar

Skogar New Member

Thanks again for the hints. Time to think outside the box a bit.

I enjoyed the dungeon crawls on live, using a tank merc with my old Shaman (who was still level 54). It was fun to see the older (classic) content I had missed the first time around, but I think it spoiled me.