New guy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jatyro91, Mar 2, 2018.

1. jatyro91

jatyro91 New Member

Hey everyone!

I started playing EQ when I was about 11 years old. Had a family member living over seas and it was our way of staying in touch. Fast forward a million years, I found P99 when I was out of work due to an injury and played the hell out of it. Stopped after getting back into the swing of things at work, but lately I've been missing EQ. Thought I'd check out AK since it seemed more relaxed, and was farther than Kunark (I really missed Luclin).

I've never boxed before, so I'm looking forward to that. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some guides and commonly trio'd classes? My favorite class is necro so I was originally thinking Necro/Sham/Ench, or Necro/Cler/Ench

I was also wondering since everyone boxes (which I'm not against, at all, despite coming from p99) do people generally play together still other than raiding? Or is it more...solo play with server wide chat?

So, that's the gist. I look forward to seeing you guys in game.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  2. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

necro/sham/bard is a solid way to go. Mana regen that stacks with lich, torpor/heals/slow - etc. Its a classically good trio.

Alternatively - necro/cleric/pally.

3. jatyro91

jatyro91 New Member

Necro/Sham/Bard - I've always been intimidated by bard, but I think I want to try it. Necro pet tank, Shammy heal, Bard song?

Side note: If I do this combo, I think the plan would be Bard + Shammy as Vah Shir, and Necro as Iksar. Best place for them to meet up?

4. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

Plane of Knowledge

5. Tryfan

Tryfan People Like Me

Nice thing about having bard with two casters is you have a nice easy way to pull too.

6. Guilder

Guilder Member

Not everyone here boxes. The majority does, however. Groups aren't very easy to come by at lower levels. Many established players will power level characters through early stages. There is an experience bonus for groups of four or more. So, if you are able to find someone in your range, you can probably group with them. Go to zones with high experience modifiers and use the /who all would be your best bet.

Welcome to the server.

Kaeril likes this.
  7. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Welcome!

8. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

Bard will better utilize your main necro than an enchanter. Stacking mana regen and health regen, run speed, etc. when you want to charm on your necro you can have the bard keep Mez on the charm between pulls and never have an issue with charm breaks. Good combo.

9. jatyro91

jatyro91 New Member

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input and I'm gonna go with the Necro/Sham/Bard. Running the Ikky + 2 Shir's. Any suggestions on where to begin leveling?

Thunderace likes this.
  10. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Field of Bone followed by Kurn's Tower

11. Thunderace

Thunderace People Like Me

Welcome to the server.

Where will your adventure take you?

Suggestion on where to level would depend on how you want to experience the game. What is your playstyle like? Are you going to rush to 60? Sit back and enjoy the sights? Farm trade skill mats as you level? Little bit of everything?

Fob > Kurns
    Quite a stale grind. Be prepared to stare at skeletons.

North Ro > Oasis
    The road less traveled. Capitalize on the big outdoor zones.

With PoK books traveling is quite easy, especially with bard song.

Godspeed,

Mars

12. jatyro91

jatyro91 New Member

Casual, for sure. I enjoy leveling (and quickly) but I don't have the time to do any rushing. Currently I'm set up in FOB in a corner near the pop book killing mostly scarabs. Skeleton pop seems to be low. Found maybe 4 in the hour and a half I was there. Skipped the newbie quests which was probably a bad move on my part since I now have three casters restricted to melee for the most part, lol.

I remember the first time I leveled an Ikky Necro, I leveled in FOB until about 10 then went and cashed in with the wood elves by farming scalps. Though, I don't know if there's a large market for that on this server and I'm looking for something new so I will probably end up going to Kurns this time.

13. Videri-Tala

Videri-Tala Well-Known Member

Not everyone 3-boxes. Some prefer to play 2 or 1. And, due to the exp mechanics, everyone prefers to have a second player's characters in their group. The exp bonuses for 4 and 5 characters are great, and 6 is pretty good too.

Also...if you went Iksar on the necro and shaman, the bard could get an Iksar Hide Mask and you could go full scale. ;) Just a thought.

14. jatyro91

jatyro91 New Member

I may end up doing this for sure.

15. Thunderace

Thunderace People Like Me

Iksar Master Race

16. Calid

Calid New Member

I would re-think your class choices,all 3 need a lot of attention to be played somewhat efficiently:
    1) Necro: pet needs some love or it dies too often
    2) Shammy: Canni,'nuff said
    3)Bard:no melody command here

Do something like tank/healer/utility.
    I play Pal/Dru/Enc - almost everything you need covered (but fd split,replace Pally with SK if you insist).
    Pally,well,I just love them and I remember them being godly in PoP era. :)
    Druid is a weak healer in Velious era at high levels,can replace later with Cleric for raids.
    Enc speeds things up.
    Basically I can hold every camp in game with that trio,dps is a bit on the low side,but who cares if you have to wait for repops of named/ph anyway.
    Friend of mine gets along with War/Dru/Cle but I would find that too slow with no mana regen/haste.
    In any case going with a non gating gating class with no Druid or Wizard in group would limit your choices severly.

other:
    Groups:You can find groups at low levels here despite the 3 boxing thing and low population,just need to know where to go at which level,like unrest in the 20s
    or Kaesora/Droga in the 30s.
    Cash: conflicts with grouping,you either get xp or make cash(but thats not TaKP specific),farming tradeskkill stuff works here(bone chips dont),can make a
    fortune from Spider(ling) silk and animal pelts with some patience,shawl quest line requires a lot of tradeskilling ,so there is always a market.
    So what does xp OR cash mean in reality? You can either get fast xp in Unrest in your 20s with a group OR make cash from spiders in East Karana,your
    choice,its quite boring,imho,but my friend still does it with 3 55+ chars,I guess its at matter of taste. :)
    With my mains I farm(ed) Geos in WL for cash,lately I dont have much use for plat as I have most buyable gear(not going to pay 100 k for a Jeldorin). :)

17. jatyro91

jatyro91 New Member

I have little to no experience with Shammy or Bard so I can't say anything about those two, but the way I was looking at it was more...Necros are regarded widely as a solo class so with a bard and a shammy there to assist, it can only make soloing even easier.

Am I way off base here?

Edit: Not having a porter was bothering me but I figured with PoK it shouldn't be too much of a hinderence?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Videri-Tala likes this.
  18. Videri-Tala

I have no porter and it's fine. I do have access to a guild port character, though, which does help, especially with Iceclad and Cobalt Scar and East Karana. Everywhere else is fine thanks to PoK books. Don't forget you can take the Nexus to North Karana.

Also, just because you have a bard doesn't mean you have to twist. Many people let their bard run hp/mana song, or mez on a charmed pet; then get on the bard to pull or CC when necessary. Playing all 2-3 characters optimally is not required.

19. Videri-Tala

With shaman slows, buffs, and healing, you could probably tank on your bard and let the necro+pet go to town. Proximity aggro is strong here, so if your casters are not in melee range and don't sit, they will be fine. After stacking every DoT in the book, the necro can FD, stand, and sit to med unmolested. You can gear the bard for hp/ac as you level, then shift to resists if you raid.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  20. Tryfan

Tryfan People Like Me

Frankly his trio will probably kick the snot out of yours at pretty much everything. You would probably only be able to match it by parking the paladin completely and going full on enchanter charming.

21. Calid

Calid New Member

I was thinking of succor,didnt want to go too much into details,posting was long enough as it is. :)
    I think having succor is mandatory,you dont want to fight your way back out all the time,some places you cant even leave without,like
    Velk's basement.

22. phresh2k3

phresh2k3 Member

(OT) Hammer time!

23. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Having played without a succor/evac char in my 3-some. You adjust. You plan your exits. Having a corpse summoner and/or rez abilities is also a plus.

24. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Necro/Shaman/Bard would be a fun trio. Bardspeed. All the time. OMG. Sign me up!

25. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

One single anniversary event and you'll have enough port potions to get out of any spot, anyway :p

26. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

Yeah the more I think about this trio, it seems perfect for the person who wants to actively main in his necro.

Bard traveling, afk mana and regen song, and active pulling. Shaman on some macros, and full attention on the necro in combat.

Bard with an OT hammer at 50 and ports are no longer a problem.

27. jatyro91

jatyro91 New Member

Sweet. Thanks for all the input guys. Definitely boosted my confidence with my choice

28. Skogar

Skogar New Member

I was planning to go Bard, Necro, Druid to level. At 50 or so the Druid can powerlevel a Cleric.

But my guys are level 10ish and it will take me a long time to actually test this group out. My choices are based on a number of things:

1. I like Bards (the problem is I like alts in general)

2. I want a character who can PL alts

3. summon corpse will probably be necessary as I like to dungeon crawl (and I tend to die)

4. Rez will probably be needed around level 50

You can check out this thread (Beaaden describes his setup with a Bard, Necro, Cleric):

https://www.takproject.net/forums/index.php?threads/what-do-you-box-and-why.9055/

But I can understand why the Shaman would be a better fit for the group. It’s not clear to me if the Bard will be able to tank for the Necro pet with only a Druid to heal. My guess is that the Cleric has enough raw power to do the job.

29. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

The necro taptanks.

Necro/bard is unbelievably powerful with the bard JUST playing hp/man regen (cuz its like a double boost) then you got shaman slows/regen/torpor on top of everything else. once you get to pop and the necro can rune/tap tank almost any trash slowed you will really have come into the powerhouse section.

On AK i watched klage, zozo, necra, and kept dominate as a necro tap or rune tanking (not to mention the KITING ability with the 2m bard speed that comes in luclin).

This trio would only be outdone by a player of similar talent running sk/cleric/enc or bst/mag/cler. (IMO)

The limit on some trios is only what you can imagine.

30. jatyro91

jatyro91 New Member

Most of this needs to be explained to me but I like the sound of it. I've never passed mid-40s on any toon in all the years I've been playing this game.