Single boxing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hove!, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Totally! The Hole is ridiculously deep and sprawling. Some of those buildings in the middle/back city have 4 or 5 underground floors, and there's a whole 4-storey tower hidden in the south city...

2. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

you guys still doing this? 45 necro too low?

3. benoeb

benoeb People Like Me

Savannah now as a mage (Jemmah) and I have a rogue (Back) who are level 45, almost 46 if you guys need more dps. Unfortunately my shaman is already 60 now. We will look for you guys online if we see ya on.

4. Videri-Tala

Videri-Tala Well-Known Member

BUMP
    FOR GRAPE JUISTICE

I am resurrecting this ancient tradition. In the spirit of Fansy before us, let us go forth in groups of six actual human beings. Let us crawl some 45+ dungeons. /autojoin onebox if you want to participate!

I do enjoy 2- or 3-boxing, but I long for combat alongside my Protoss brethren without switching windows and autofollowing myself.

As a musician, I often work during primetime (gigs/rehearsals/lessons), so let others also come forth to sound the call every evening. Together, we shall ring the bell that goes DING!

From The Hole to Siren's Grotto, let's party like it's 2003.

/autojoin onebox to get in on the fun!

delete and Neealana like this.
  5. mad4plaps

mad4plaps New Member

I am always down for single box crew, I have a level 54 beastlord and primarily play evening time (7pm - 11pm est).

6. Fien

Fien New Member

I'm a young Paladin level 18 looking for this. The boxing here makes it impossible and to me its like work so I don't like to do it, plus it takes the fun out of it for me. If anyone else looking to group at all please send me a tell. I look forward to having a real live group.

7. Linkamus

Linkamus People Like Me

This thread makes me happy.

8. Avocado

Avocado New Member

I will keep an eye out, Fien. I just rejoined this server this week, and as a lvl 18 bard, I am eager to group with others!

I've put the chat channel onebox on autojoin but there's not much going on there, alas.

9. Grosk

Grosk Member

I've got some lowbies that could come along.. Namely a L29 Rogue

10. Fien

Fien New Member

I keep forgetting to join onebox and will try to remember to. I'm level 26 now.

11. Videri-Tala

What if I told you you can /autojoin alliance onebox and it will put you in both channels every time you log in? :cool:

12. Fien

Fien New Member

Good call I will. I did join the channel and said hello but no one was there.

13. Skratching

Skratching Active Member

I would be highly interested in this. Currently running 59 ranger cleric and enchanter. I would love to play as any of the three but especially on my ranger (will tank).

14. Videri-Tala

[​IMG]
    :):p

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  15. Skratching

Skratching Active Member

Rangers are fine tanking all group content especially if geared right. Don't be hating.

16. lurari

lurari People Like Me

I held aggro today vs a Fetid Fiend in PoFear. Soaked up the damage so good I was in PoK in short order!

17. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

#rerollasbst

18. gardnerjens

gardnerjens People Like Me

#rerolled#reroll wizard

19. Sunbeam

Sunbeam New Member

How has this one box thing actually been working out?

Have been toying with the idea of playing on this server, but I hate to box. I doubt anyone is a new player, and the PITA of doing the every 5 second turn around to see if your box team is still with you in Emerald Jungle or Trakanon's Teeth, let alone some dungeons is something we all know about. Then tabbing to your other character and asking yourself "Ok, where am I?"

I think MQ is the devil, but whatever they use for /stick works a lot better than autofollow.

There are some other things too, like having to actually toggle /sit to get up, and memmed spellsets. Really, really miss that kind of thing, since I don't like to incessantly rearrange my spellbook or flip through a bunch of pages to find a certain spell. Not trying to say this server shoulld change a single thing, but when you've gotten used to some newer client features it's hard to go back - since it should have been that way all along, and they got to it after the game had been out a decade or so.

But to eventually get to the point, how hard is it to actually form groups? I know how long it takes to level past 50, and why that should be a focus. But unless you are boxing or using the patented play a necro to farm gear and plat so you can actually play a warrior approach, well how is it working?

Plus I want to play a wizard this time around (for some reason). I imagine druids are very, very popular box chars, and the ports aren't really going to be a selling point.

And a lot of times on box servers people just want to run their box crews and do their own thing. NP, but it just isn't like my golden memories of EQ going into Crushbone, Blackburrow, or SolB and finding a pickup group.

One other thing: All those cool stories you read on sites like Graffe about so and so doing this quest or mob solo, usually are done by people who have epics, ToV gear and that sort of thing. How hard is it to get into raids if you really, really have no interest in ever taking a "batphone" call? Heck I don't mind helping someone do something for a whole night or whatever, but no way am I ever going to join a raiding guild where you have to raid so many times per week.

20. benoeb

benoeb People Like Me

Typically there aren't very many open raids done between guilds and the civilian population. If you want to raid you must join a guild. Not all guilds have an attendance policy. Some guilds don't require you to raid when you are online and they are raiding while other guilds do not monitor attendance, but if you are online while a raid is happening and you are 60 you better be at the raid. I cannot think of a instance where a "bat phone" was used on this server for the guilds I have been apart of and raided with.

21. echofinder

echofinder Member

Sunbeam,

You won't regret giving it a go. So much great content and such effort has been put in to making the game feel as smooth or I would say smoother than the times we were all paying SoE for our AK subscriptions. I think if you have the mentality that you are part of a wonderful archive experience of one of the best games ever you won't be disappointed. I'm a warrior with family and kids so my cleric and shaman sidekicks are regular fixtures for me. For me its not realistic to expect that at the exact time I can break free from the daily grind that a bunch of other solo boxed toons will also be looking to spend their time doing what I want to do so my trio gives me the freedom to go in a variety of options on a given night. I think many others approach it the same.

That being said when I put out the call for help on something its very common to be playing with three humans in our group of 6 characters.

It's the minority of players who go it solo but those who do are respected by others and always welcome in a group.

To answer the leveling question, I think i play more than a lot of folks and less then most. I started just before this server went to beta with toons that would not be wiped and hit level 60 maybe 4 months ago? SO thats a long time of leveling and that was with a three box team. Mind you much exploring, much dying, and lots of chat instead of progress at all times :)

22. Hove!

Hove! People Like Me

You likely won't randomly zone into SolB and do a camp check and ask to get put on the list for King and Bugs n' Bats and play /gems in Lavastorm until it's your turn like we all so fondly remember.

My memories of EQ from 2000ish was that it took a lot of work and persistence to start your own group or get yourself into a group. You had to play a desirable class and have a good reputation as a good player to easily find groups. It's no different here, but the existence of a 3 box limit means most people would rather take the path of least resistance and spend the time they have to play doing it self sufficiently.

When I first started I figured I'd solo a bard. I made it to level 17 in about 50 hours /played including doing all the newbie armor and weapon quests. I tried to find groups but the majority of my time started being spent retrieving my corpse while looking for groups so I figured out how to multi box and made a shm/monk duo. When the monk and shaman were caught up I added the bard and took that trio into the 50's and started thinking about a rogue, and mostly thinking about playing just 1 character at a time.

There is no ideal way to include a rogue into a 3 box so I figured I'd single box the rogue to 60 and so began this channel. I had the luxury of having other characters to play when Unrest and Highkeep were empty otherwise there would have been extensive downtime trudging though the 20-40 gauntlet but overall playing a single character to 50 was pretty easy going into it with realistic expectations. If you're already in the zone and ask to join someone boxing they say yes, if you send a tell from PoK asking if you can join they say they are logging soon. You just have to know how to get yourself into the groups and have something else to do if there aren't any.

It only became feasible after level 50 to create a channel to try to make a community of likeminded people because the vast majority of the server is 50+ and almost all sub 50's are being power leveled.

It took constant recruiting in alliance to get people to join the channel to consider it and even then most people only wanted to play disposable dps classes so I would have to /who all cleric 50 59 and send tells to every single one of them, /who all enchanter 50 59 and send tells to every single one of them, etc. For the first few weeks of this project I didn't even get to play my rogue, which was the sole purpose of all the effort. Eventually Sabinn became the regular enchanter 5 or so times per week, Bango was available to tank most nights, Ouiji was also interested everyday, Dimitre was the regular evac class so it changed from 2 hours of recruiting by blindly messaging strangers and getting rejected to get 1 hour of exp everyday to typically having to only find a cleric and more and more frequently I could play my rogue.

It seemed normal to me to have to put that much effort in to try to create a balanced group of regular members, but if you go into it thinking you're going to /join onebox and just get groups that's not realistic. Someone needs to be driving it forward and making it happen. The channel still exists but there's no playmaker doing the above and beyond necessary to get people out of their comfort zone and trying something different. When people join a single box group and it's put together correctly they will 1000% of the time do it again. Getting them to not 3 box the entrance of Velks by themselves is the hardest part.

You must be the change you wish to see in Norrath. -Mahatma Gandhi -HOVe!

Oiwon, Dolthi and Videri-Tala like this.
  23. Sabine

Sabine New Member

Without someone taking the initiative, maybe this would happen more often if there was a set time. Like once a week, Fridays at 8 pm EST, or whatever. It's a really different game playing with other one box humans. And I'd like to see/experience more of it :)

24. pyschichaze

pyschichaze New Member

I singlebox my 56 bard Jukebox. I started some characters to hopefully group with him soon because it is often hard getting a group. If you see me I am usually lfg. I prefer not to play late at night (after 11 central) which is when most people are online.

25. Videri-Tala

Yeah folks, I wish I could be the guy, but it's not possible with my current schedule. I hope to catch up with a onebox group soon.

26. Dolthi

Dolthi Member

I'm a new player who's just hit 20 and I can honestly say I've had one (one!) group in all that time. I don't box either. But I wouldn't let that put you off Sunbeam. The other side of things is that people here are nice and will help a newbie out with gear and plat so it seems it's not so hard to get through the early levels fast if you're playing a class that can solo.

I've kind of resigned myself to grinding to 50+ and then trying to organise groups. That said - if anyone with alts in the 20s wants to get together for some actual dungeon runs I'd be all over it, and I'd happily roll a lower level alt to group with folks too at a regular time. I play on GMT evenings and sometimes early mornings.

27. Sunbeam

Sunbeam New Member

Still mulling over playing here. I guess it never will be like when I started on any EMU server (even P1999 for several reasons).

But something confuses me. I thought this was the era where everyone was mad because Bards soloed entire zones. Or you see them with a drum in N. Karana and cloth armor chain killing the beetlers or charming stuff and doing it that way.

I know they get a gap in their charm spells, but I thought they were one of the premier solo classes - actually the best non-caster soloer, including monks and any hybrid.

28. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Just play. Great people. Great server. You won't regret it.

H

BonnieJ and Elroz like this.
  29. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

I just wanted to say this is a really good point. I'm "guilty" of turning people away if they're 15-20 minutes away, just because I don't know what's going to come up within the next 20 minutes, and I don't want the person to be mad at me when I need to log 5 minutes after they show up. On the other hand, if they're already in the zone, or nearby, I know that even if I'm only on for 20 minutes, they still get a little bit of xp and they didn't burden me with anything.

30. actualspaide

actualspaide People Like Me

Tbf marv. You have to play for any of this to be true