Mana calculator for our era?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mokli, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Just curious if there is a mana calculator for our era. Trying to decide what the mana loss would be with swapping certain items out for straight resist gear. Thanks.

2. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

None that I know of, though I'd be very interested to see one. It'd let us fix TAKP Magelo's mana scores, which I'm pretty sure are off by like 1000 or more for many toons right now.

3. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

4. Draeko

Draeko Active Member

At max mana, go to the game accounts tab and check your mana. This is not automatic, so if you were low mana before you started it may take a bit to update. Zoning should update it quickly. Switch your gear and zone, then refresh game accounts and check again

Pithy likes this.
  5. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Unfortunately that calculator's not accurate for TAKP. The formula it uses is mana = level*(int/5+2). That predicts that adding 1 int should give 12 more mana at level 60, all the way to 255 int. On TAKP, however, 1 int gives about 5 mana at level 60 in the 200s (you can show this easily using the Game Accounts trick Draeko mentioned). The returns on int/wis diminish at some point, or possibly at multiple points, but we don't really know when. I suppose an enterprising gnome could mine Game Accounts for that info by putting on pure +int gear (not +mana), or taking it off, and recording how much their mana pool changes per point of int throughout the 150-255 range. For science!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  6. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

tldr though: rough estimate of your toon's mana pool is what TAKP magelo says, minus 1000

7. pouky

pouky Active Member

i had a self written spreadsheet in old days , and used know formulas and then some numbers i had to test out myself ,, no clu how acurate lol ,, will have to look into it

Pithy likes this.
  8. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

shouldn't be too hard to test how accurate the formulas from the era are... at least to within 15-50 mana or so. just blow your mana bar (finish with a low cost spell for higher fidelity guesses), check logs to factor in how much mana you regenned, and viola.

i always just eyeball that stuff anyway so i'm not going to do it tho. =p

9. kai4785

kai4785 People Like Me

I'm curious how this is even a question. Is it that the mana calculation is done client side? If it's done server side, wouldn't it be a matter of pulling up the source code? Or does that mean the devs are mum on the subject?

10. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Source is closed and devs don't go into extreme detail on all questions.

11. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Which is fine, I can figure it out ingame. I just wanted something offline to compare if I get bored at work, etc.

12. kai4785

kai4785 People Like Me

Right, that makes sense. Thanks : )