Nvidia optimus and windows pc client

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Secrets, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Secrets

Secrets Well-Known Member

I just got a NVIDIA Optimus-enabled laptop and had issues where the GPU wasn't being used. Here's a hack workaround for DirectX8 to use the GPU when used in conjunction with my hack. You'll still need to force it in the control panel to use the GPU. This converts DX8 calls to DX9.

Based on crosire's d3d8to9 project: crosire/d3d8to9 · GitHub

No copyrighted EQ files are distributed here so I can post this here.

https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/36wbvm

2. fryguy503

fryguy503 Active Member

So this converts the DX8 calls to DX9. I wonder (Doubt) if that would allow you to use Valves DX9 to OpenGL Conversion tools they use for steam to convert games to Linux.

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ToGL

If the game could be converted to OpenGL not only is cross platform easier but it could allow for more future client changes.

Then again, I know nothing compared to Secrets when it comes to Game Engine work.

3. Verdent

Verdent People Like Me

Wow, little late for the laptop that was sent back but thanks for getting this fix out there. It's maddening to have to run on the processor.

4. Linkamus

Linkamus People Like Me

Whenever I try this I get a "memory cannot be written" error after I hit the play everquest button.

5. Linkamus

Linkamus People Like Me

Update: Just tried dgVoodoo and it seems to be working decently. We'll see how stable it is.

kicnlag likes this.
  6. surron

surron People Like Me

how do we know if eq isnt using the GPU?

7. Linkamus

Linkamus People Like Me

I use GPU-Z, and you can see which GPU has a load on it.

8. Linkamus

Linkamus People Like Me

After actually playing with gdVoodoo, I do say it's not the best solution. It's WAY better than being forced to use the integrated graphics card, but it's still kind of slow and glitchy. If anyone finds a better solution to this optimus BS please let us know :) .

Verdent likes this.
  9. Verdent

Verdent People Like Me

I was getting about 15 fps on my laptop with 3 boxes running, half in a busy POK or bazaar. It was a classic experience to say the least. I feel like if you get it running on your GPU and it's from this decade you will notice a massive difference in FPS.

Linkamus and Mambo like this.
  10. Bragon

Bragon People Like Me

Had the issue on the wife's laptop, Nvida chip not being recognized by EQ client, only the intel chip. Installed Windows 7 instead of 10, works like a charm now.