Bards, can you currently reverse-charm kite on TAKP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pithy, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

By 'reverse-charm kite' I mean pull a swarm of social mobs, charm one, and sic it on some mob in the swarm. On Al'Kabor, the entire swarm would gang up on the pet as soon as you hit /pet attack. Bards used this to get fast exp: break charm just before the swarm kills the pet, finish off the ex-pet with chants, and repeat. Most bards preferred reverse-charm kiting to AE kiting since AK pathing was so bad.

I ask out of curiosity and because it's relevant to this bug thread.

2. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

All bards on TAKP just auto follow their masters with mana song playing.

Oiwon and Ransom like this.
  3. Beaaden

Beaaden Active Member

Yes we can. It works pretty well too.

4. Tollen

Tollen Member

5. Mukk

Mukk People Like Me

I used to "swarm-kite" (as I called it) back on live. I tried it on AK and found that it never worked quite as well. There would be too many times where not all the mobs would assist on the pet and you'd still have one or two chasing you instead of beating on your pet, which drastically dropped the efficiency of the technique. I used to use the raptors in Timorous Deep.

I haven't tried on this server yet, but once my bard is high enough level, I will. I suppose I could try with sarnaks in Lake of Ill Omen at my current level.

6. Tollen

Tollen Member

Some raptors are on different faction, if the mobs are not social it won't work.

7. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

The trick to swarm kiting was always making sure your entire swarm has minimal aggro on you.

If you're swarming saying 5 mobs, A, B, C, D and E. To start you have body aggro on all of these and they're packed up tightly.

You charm mob A, and have him fight mob B. You break mob A at 5% HP, and mob B has 80% HP. At this point, you still have body aggro on mobs B, C, D and E. However you have Charm aggro on Mob A.

If you charm mob C and send it on mob B, mob A will continue to run at you because the aggro he has after your harm broke is higher than his desire to turn and attack your new charmed pet.

If you ever had early charm breaks where the mob breaks at 50%, you need to recharm it. If you aren't doing this, it is always your best practice to send a charmed pet at the pet who recently broke on you. That 1 round of melee typically overrides the charm hate the prior pet has for you, and everything else with just body aggro will turn and fight.

This mainly becomes and issue when you have like 3-4 mobs at low HP who all broke early, and have enough aggro to ignore the swarm and chase you because of the charm aggro you have into them. Ideally though, you're killing everything before your next charm break.

8. Polly

Polly Member

Nastard! He is a good friend from <Rest in Peace> was back in the day on Ayonae Ro. I recognize many of the stick figure characitures of guild mates.