Diving back in

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Neopolitan, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Neopolitan

Neopolitan Member

Planning on breaking back into this server. I was thinking about checking out p2002 but after reading about certain developmental aspects that they lack. I feel this is the long term home for me.

I have several questions:
    • Three box limit correct?
    • Dexport work/acceptable here?
    • FPS limiter help/acceptable here?
    • How are the random crashes?
    • PoK books are still active right?
    • Bazaar active?
    • Any bonus exp like p2002?

Also, my trio I'm thinking about going with is Monk, Shaman and Cleric. I know it's a good trio, maybe if anyone has some tips. Thinking about going Iksar, Iksar and Dark Elf. Never really played evil races so I figured here is the place.

Hope to see you all in game and for a while going forward.

2. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Yes
    Not sure what that is
    Haynar built the functionality into the eqgame.dll, or you can use dxtory or similar
    I honestly can't remember the last random crash. This server to me seems extremely stable.
    Yep, they are enabled for the zones within expansions that are currently live.
    Yep
    Exp bonuses are rare outside what was already in place on the original AK.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    Neopolitan likes this.
  3. Neopolitan

Neopolitan Member

So the xp is 120% if it's the same as AK?
    Dexport is just a virtual desktop app, can be used to setup a box on each desktop and you can hotkey each desktop to a hotkey, instead of alt-tabbing.

Thank you for the info!

4. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Yes to the 120% exp.

For switching windows on PC people generally use Secrets' HotkeyNet setup I think.

Neopolitan likes this.
  5. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

-20% xp for iksar

Don't forget

6. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

Dexport is fine, we just have issues with any game play automation.

7. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

Great trio. Get the snare neck on your cleric. You won't notice the -20% exp on your iksar. Exp flows here.

Another option for races is human monk, troll shaman (snare neck and JBB/plate) and dark elf cleric (snare neck). Gives you a human in the case you need to do any good quests. This does make it harder to just slaughter whatever you want though.

8. cavedude

cavedude Administrator Staff Member

+5% Halfling, -5% Barbarian, -15% Ogre, -20% Iksar and Troll. +20% for everybody, +ZEM which varies. Then there are rules with pets, damage shields, and groups. Raids are a straight weighted split. Other than how OOR works, XP gain should match AK really closely.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    Elrontaur and Ransom like this.
  9. Neopolitan

Neopolitan Member

Pretty set on the Iksar Monk. DE Cleric for snare neck and the shaman I'm the most torn on. Ogre stun immunity is legit but so is regen. So it really is Troll or Iksar for me.

No JBB for shaman is a real consideration but long term it has such a small impact I like the regen bonus plus the non-giant race. Got my monk to 5 last night while watching hockey. Some nice fellow(Melvyn?) gave me a couple items, HBC, Peacebringing and an essence of Dol.o_O Really felt like it was a lot. Plus some plat. Will get me rolling for sure. Hopefully I'll have my boxing stuff started by the end of the weekend.

I hear Iksar Plate drops in hate anyways.

10. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Iksar hate armor does drop and it's OP and I'm jealous.

Khorpus likes this.
  11. Neealana

Neealana People Like Me

Melvyn is a credit to this server ! He rocketh !

12. actualspaide

actualspaide People Like Me

iksar gear is nice but that no frontal stun will last you whole server imo. i think ogre is way to go but then again is most common sham on server. If you wanna go unique go troll:)

13. Verdent

Verdent People Like Me

If you weren't boxing I'd say regen on the shaman is more of an issue but as it stands now it takes way too much time for me to use cannibalize like I would if I was soloing. Frontal stun immunity is huge when mobs in pop are hitting for 500+.

I encourage all new or old players who are up for voice chatting to jump in the server mumble. There's a pretty good mix of new and old players now and for the most part everyone seems to get along. Usually someone has some stuff to give away or a little spell money to help get you started. I don't mind offering my limited technical knowledge either, especially if it means getting more people enjoying AK.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  14. Neopolitan

Neopolitan Member

You make a strong case for ogre shaman actually. Never really thought about the canni dance limitations. I guess with my three box though I was anticipating the shaman being my focal character. Attack with monk, kick when I can, mend if I need to. Cleric sits and meds 90% of the time. I figured I could buff and canni dance on the shaman + root CC with relative ease. I'll have to seriously consider the ogre though.

15. badfish

badfish Member

As somebody who has a ogre shaman and an iksar shaman on this server(both post lvl 50) i would highly recommend iksar over ogre. you are going to be spending most of the time on your melee character. and yes it can be annoying to switch boxes and spam canni, but that doesn't outweigh innate regen, armor racial, and massive wisdom difference between ogre and iksar.

I think ogre shamans are the best solo shamans and troll/iksar are best grouping shamans. If you are boxing then its clear you will be grouping all of the time. You wont even be annoyed by the need to spam canni until much much later(level 40+).

The JBB argument is pretty awful in my opinion because if you're complaining about having to switch boxes and cannidance just add clicking JBB and sitting again to that laundry list of chores.

Frontal stun immunity can be a live saver and can be very nice, but with that comes constantly having to shrink, eating all yo foods, and not having a tail.

16. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

JBB is a 6s cast well suited to boxing. Canni is a fast cast that requires a constant presence. For boxing ogres are supreme for the time you get 2 slow resists and the shit is beating your face and you dont have time to check if you got bashed or not while casting. For solo probably iksar. But having stun immunity is something that can't be understated, and in the long run is far more important than regen. No sham is relying on innate regen once get aa canni, you will cast torp or qui and innate regen will mean far less. However, getting your spells off time and time again in the literal face of an enemy? Never gets old, never gets replaced by a spell or AA/spell combo.

17. getsmurfed

getsmurfed New Member

Go with Vah Shir, surprise everyone. Sneak + Invis is op as hell, everyone expects a run of the mill average ass troll, iksar, or ogre shaman. Shake it up, get thru VP like a <remove> champ.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2016
  18. getsmurfed

getsmurfed New Member

Real talk, Iksar and Troll nearly have same racial advantage w/ regen increase. Troll can get snare neck, I don't believe Iksar can. The regen is absolutely ridiculous, until 60 when you get Torpor.

Ogres are really <remove> weak soloers, their lack of innate regen and low wisdom makes them poor solo. BUT if you complement an ogre with some form of boxed mana regen, or heals / HP regen you're in business.

Bottom line, in my opinion, regen is useless once you get torpor. But, who knows on this server if you'll ever get torpor. Ogres kinda blow until you get torpor, unless you've got external aid. Even then not having that passive <stuff> is kinda sad. It's awesome getting 4-5% hp a tick just hanging out. Stun immunity is overrated in my book, would definitely choose an iksar or troll. I've got a 55 ogre shaman on P99 and completely regret it. Here you can box tho, so case can be made both ways. Regen is only good if you're really abusing it with cannispam, which you won't be cannispamming hard if triple boxing.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2016
  19. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Please don't cuss to just cuss in general forums. All it does is show everyone how "cool" you are. Go back to p99 if you want to do that stuff.

We are too cool for that here.

20. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

Oh no, someone is violating server norms, in the most mundane way possible! Relax.

21. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  22. getsmurfed

getsmurfed New Member

Sorry, cursing is a bad habit I've slowly adopted after spending time in the military. Will remember to mind my Ps and Qs going forward.

robregen likes this.
  23. Celatus

Celatus New Member

Yar time in the military will do that to ya...

24. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

He asked about a boxed shaman. Why are you talking about soloing? Boxed shaman does not matter if the regen is "awesome" its mitigated by torpor first, and quiescence later. Point me to the spell that lets me cast freely while being attacked and I'd gladly re-roll to troll for the big nose.

In the meantime when someone asks about "what sham is good boxed with monk cleric" and you talk about soloing an iksar - it doesn't help anyone.

Now the point about trolls and the snare neck is valid, especially with that trio. You can mitigate fleeing somewhat with stun (cleric) or root (cleric/sham), or even good weapon drops such as anklesmasher, and later tunare snare stick, and its fine to rely on those procs as well, especially since that trio will probably have longer fights allowing for procs.

25. Mukk

Mukk People Like Me

My 2 cents, having played a troll shaman main to 65 w/ all useful aa's on AK, and now troll shaman again as an alt here (mostly to keep face from AK), and also as a box... If I did it over again, my box would be an ogre for sure (but my main this time is a bard, with regen song - so I automatically have regen on tap). Frontal stun immunity and parking in a corner > regen, imo. But, I've always had regen, and the grass is always greener, so...take me with a grain of salt. Maybe I'd change my mind because of the lower wisdom...

Also, the clicky snare neck is okaaayyy.... It's a low level darkness, so the snare's negative movement percentage is low, and it doesn't last very long, so it's not a "one click and forget" item, unless you just use it at the end of the fight to prevent running. Still a must-have without a snarer though.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    Neopolitan likes this.
  26. Neopolitan

Neopolitan Member

I went with an Iksar Monk, Ogre Shaman and a Dark Elf Cleric. Right now I'm leveling each of them individually and trying to get them to around 5 with some rawhide and hopefully have my basement done soon so I can get my real rig up and get to boxing.

Is the Alliance channel usually the server wide discussion area or what is used? Seems quiet for the most part. Why was global OOC turned off?

27. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Yes, it was turned off for testing of chat channels. OOC/auction will return at some point.

Neopolitan likes this.
  28. Neealana

Neealana People Like Me

Alliance is still iffy for me. If I log in, and it works, then I can join channels.

29. Neopolitan

Neopolitan Member

Monk, Cleric and Shaman.

What do you think my limitations will be with this combo? Will farming items in LGUK, SOLB, Seb, HS be possible?

The other route I was considering was a charming combo. Decided Monk, Cle, Sham would be easier for a first combo than 3 casters.

30. drktmplr12

drktmplr12 Member

I've got a SHM, MNK, ENC.

Love it, especially since they fixed mobs fleeing even with mezzed social nearby. Before it was a pain.

Once you have everyone at 9, goto kurns