Raster of guk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grisvok, May 5, 2015.

1. Grisvok

Grisvok Member

Anyone know what % chance he has to spawn? I spent about 30 hours there this weekend and had no luck but I know hes spawning. Kinda curious just how bad my luck is.

2. phresh2k3

phresh2k3 Member

did 82 hours back in the day... never got him. worst camp of my life. Not sure what the spawn mechanics are but theres a elaborate way to kill the ph at certain times of the day. is that implemented here?

3. Oiwon

Oiwon People Like Me

When i camped him the spawn wasn't de-spawning and repopping like it was on AK/P99/Live. So i just killed every PH and got him on my 2 day. Probably around 12 total PH's.
    Targin was my Achilles heel.

Best of luck

Oiwon

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  4. Yinn Yang

Yinn Yang People Like Me

I believe he is something like a 5% chance, but with a 25ish minute spawn timer (iirc), it can take a looong time. My first Raster camp ever was 42 hours, back in about 2001.

The trick on other servers was that the PH had a despawn/respawn mechanism at about 7-9am in-game time. I believe Verant put that in place so that there was a likelihood that he may be up randomly, even if he didn't pop when the server was reset. So when camping him, I believe I remember the trick being, let the despawn/respawn happen on schedule, then kill that one, wait 25ish minutes for next spawn, immediately kill that one, and then let the next one pop; but unless it was Raster himself, let it sit a few more minutes because it should be about time for the despawn/respawn again. If the PH is down during the despawn/respawn time, you miss out on an extra chance every EQ-day for him to pop. It was all about maximizing the odds.

I haven't done it on this server, but I kinda doubt the despawn/respawn thing is in place... makes it a bit more difficult.

After my first 42 hour camp years ago, I never did that again. I learned (when I decided to to monk epic again on a new server) to just run thru occasionally to see if he was up... or wait for a druid/ranger to /ooc that he had spawned (or camp a character in his spot and check occasionally). I think your odds were just about as good and it didn't feel like such a massive waste of time.

Neealana likes this.
  5. vaile5546

vaile5546 New Member

I camped him for 2 weeks straight on live back in the day before he spawned about 4 hours a day.

6. Pinoit

Pinoit Well-Known Member

Rob could we confirm the spawn % on this guy? Up to about 20 cumulative hours now so I'm curious.

7. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

8. Pinoit

Pinoit Well-Known Member

9. Pinoit

Pinoit Well-Known Member

I can also confirm that Raster PH does not despawn at 11am as he did on live.

:(

10. robregen

yeah I'm aware of that. it's been reported a few times

11. Sturmm

Sturmm Well-Known Member

Hey, just a head's up, but the PH for Raster isn't spawning at his appointed time.
    /ducks

12. vannari

vannari Well-Known Member

Never camped this guy, don't even know what he is for, but I remember on EQ Mac someone was camping him for a whole week and never saw him. And then after he gave up, I was camping the AM and my Druid kept seeing the raster on track :p I felt bad. Although I never had much luck with the AM either, I camped it for 4 days, many hours each day, and only 1 robe but about 2000 pairs of pants.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    Oiwon likes this.
  13. Pinoit

Pinoit Well-Known Member

Poor Rob =/

LOL Van... 2000 pairs of pants. Sounds about right though :)

14. Pinoit

Pinoit Well-Known Member

Up to 40 cumulative hours. Rob... are you sure that's a 5% spawn rate, or could there be another issue at play here? According to my math, at 5% I should have seen approximately 4 of these guys (roughly 80 PH kills).

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  15. robregen

Sturmm likes this.
  16. Pinoit

Pinoit Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that won't be a problem. In the meantime... servermates, head down to Raster for free Chrysoberyl Talismans. At least 20 of these things have rotted over the past 2 weeks.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  17. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

Every monk I have ever known says how much a pita raster is. Except the unusually lucky. 5% would make you think he should be showing up by now, but remember two things; Respawn timer in lguk is so slow your not really getting that many chances for the time spent. And it's 5% every spawn, how many previous pHs you killed doesn't effect the next one. Keep at it Pinoit, when you finally get the drop your going to feel great. The elusive EQ rare item high!

18. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

Good luck pinoit, whenever you finish the quest you'll be able to talk down at all the monks who take the easy way out and kill zephyl. I always did!

19. Oiwon

Oiwon People Like Me

You'll get him, just camp out and log in there Don't worry too much about it. I've seen him up a few times now.

20. Pinoit

Pinoit Well-Known Member

I appreciate the support you guys :) I remember the horror stories about this camp and indeed, I seem experiencing the sheer hell of what it was reputed to be.

My post to Rob was to confirm that I am not wasting my time here due to some random bug that may be preventing him from spawning at all. I was not expecting a challenge to break some poor dude's record from "back in the day".

The reason I wonder if there is a problem with the spawn, is because we know that it is already broken by not despawning as it is supposed to (making TAKProject Raster even rarer than it ever was on live or on Al'Kabor). One would muse at this point that perhaps the spawn is broken altogether, and I was simply asking for some further investigation into the situation not only for myself, but for other monks. In fact, another Monk has recently joined the Raster rotation.

21. robregen

His spawn is just like a regular spawn only without the despawning and respawning on it's own. As Oiwon mentioned earlier in the thread:

I'll take a look at it today to see about making it de-spawning and repopping.

22. Pinoit

Pinoit Well-Known Member

Approximately 44.5 hours... Raster spawned. I can confirm he exists. Sorry Rob, I did not beat that dude's record.

Ransom, Oiwon and Elroz like this.
  23. Oiwon

Oiwon People Like Me

grats man!
    that's everquest for ya :)
    now next time you're down in Guk he'll be up of course ;)

Pinoit and Ransom like this.
  24. Yinn Yang

Yinn Yang People Like Me

That is so true... almost a guarantee that the next time you run by the Mino room, you'll look over and there he'll be. :)

Pinoit and Oiwon like this.
  25. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

The robe has to be a big time sink, otherwise people would be making a dozen monk epics a day

Oiwon likes this.
  26. Pinoit

Pinoit Well-Known Member

Good point too Torven.

27. Cutty

Cutty Well-Known Member

If it's any consolation I've been camping him for about 12 hours now... nothing... but I wonder if I'm even in the right spot... I think I am.. just keep killing the lone minotaur or froglok next to the pot. I have learned that my route in life is always going to be a little bit longer.. but luckily working IT I can just have the camp there... waiting for him to spawn while I do my job. If 72 hours is the record I expect to beat that with ease...

Ransom and Oiwon like this.
  28. Oiwon

Oiwon People Like Me

HAHAHA

29. Yinn Yang

Yinn Yang People Like Me

That's the right spot, no doubt. I'm camped there and pop in from time to time to see if I can get lucky. What might catch you by surprise is the faction issue. When you first start, you're probably not KoS, but after killing about 20 or 30 PH's, you'll become KoS and when you're trying to kill the PH he likes to run down into the Minotaur room... can be painful if you're not prepared :)

Ransom likes this.
  30. Cutty

Cutty Well-Known Member

I got him with no faction hits at all.. I used my troll SK who was already kos which took care of the wandering also. Camp was only 17 straight hours... So I'm thinking Targin may never spawn on takp again so let's take this time to congratulate the people who got it already. To those of you working towards it... I apologize for what I have just done.

Ransom and Oiwon like this.