Trio Question (yet another) wiz/wiz/?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Furyan, Jul 13, 2022.

1. Furyan

Furyan New Member

Hey all! I've decided to give TAKP a solid attempt. I'm fairly experienced, p99 multiple 60s (nec, rog, shm, mnk), decent amount of raiding and played live back in live '99-'04.

I've searched quite extensively about a { wiz / wiz / * } combo and haven't seen much discussed.

I want to do something different this time, and I hear the servers is packed with enchanters. I'm wondering if something like wiz/wiz/bard may be viable - mana battery for unlimited quads with extra sideline nukes from the resting wizard. Plus in raids the 2 wizards can be easy to manage while I can be most active on the bard.

1. Any thoughts on this, is this a decent idea, am I missing something entirely?
    2. Would wiz/wiz/ - something else be a much better approach?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated, thank you all!

(side Bard question- I heard there is no /melody here, but I assume a macro for 4-5 twists in a row is possible so I don't have to keep swapping songs every 3 seconds?)

{edit: my current reference so far: https://www.takproject.net/forums/index.php?threads/wizard-trio.17881/ }

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
    pivoo likes this.
  2. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

Druid would also complement well. Better snares, some heals and buffs. Or cleric.

3. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

I would say definitely bard. With 2 wizards you’re pretty much locked into kiting as your primary mode of exping, which bard enhances considerably and heals help not at all. Luckily PoP has a lot more viable places to do that than velious and luclin did.
    if you need to take down a mob that summons, you can mez lock it on the bard and nuke between pulses. if you want to get fancy you can go to zones like maidens eye and gather up a nice big train, build aggro on the bard, and drag it over your wizards for pbae action.
    I also agree that it would be a fun and effective raiding setup.

the two biggest downsides I see are the fairly hard limits on what content you can and can’t tackle on your own, and that if you ever get bored of kiting you’re kinda SOL. Joining a guild and proactively seeking out groups should alleviate that.

pivoo likes this.
  4. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

With a Wiz/Wiz/X trio I think there are 3 viable options.

Option 1 - 3rd Wizard

Main upside, more booms. Main downside, no utility added by this character.

Option 2 - Bard

Bard offers substantial mana Regen through chorus and decent utility. Selos being quite useful for a quadding/kiting trio. Also having a bard does offer the nice benefit of fitting in well with most any other trio on the server since the automez on a charm trio is very helpful, Overhaste on a melee trio is good and chorus on a caster trio is a nice boost.

Option 3 - Druid

Adding in a healer makes life a lot easier plus SoE/FoE eventually makes kiting way more tolerable than just Run3 nonsense. Add in 9s for mana Regen and long snare, plus a 3rd quad nuker, it’s a solid addition to the crew.

pivoo likes this.
  5. Furyan

Furyan New Member

Thank you for the responses and your inputs thus far.

I'm leaning towards the Bard, 3 wizards sounds wild but interesting as well.

From the other referenced thread back in 2020, someone mentioned { wiz/wiz/Enchanter } for stunlock PBAOE strategy, is that viable?

Thanks!

6. Trollio55

Trollio55 Member

The bard is really nice for the selos. Even as enc bard wiz I had a lot of success just running away when charm breaks to get some distance and then recharming and sending back in. The pulsing with mez caused issues for me with mem blurring so that wasn't viable in tighter spaces. And while I didn't do druid, the value is still having a healer and being able to through in some dps as well! Like others have said, outdoors with non summoning mobs would be your ideal and there's a lot of options in pop for that. If you're going to do dungeons, you could try and time long nuke on wiz 1, shorter nuke on wiz 2, and root on druid to see if you can kill before things touch you.

7. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Enc/Wiz/Wiz is not great because to reach full stun coverage doesn’t happen until 51. So you could level 51-60 using that strategy however to reach 0% stun resist rate you need a 59 bard for PBAE Denons to reduce Magic resist on the train. Plus bard makes the pulling much easier.

I did a decent number of AEs with Enc/Wiz/Brd at 60 in Luclin. It’s fine but takes you getting to 60 for it to be very reliable.

8. Yarnee

Yarnee People Like Me

its a lot easier here to level because you can form your own half group or whatever, if you went that hard on p99 and you give this server a fair shot you will like it and end up with level 65s of every class anyways. so start with dru then PL the bard with your dru and move on from there. beast is a great melee class for p99 people because #1 it wasnt on p99 and #2 it covers tank + slower

9. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

I think the biggest challenge with an X/WIZ/WIZ trio will be fending off the guildinvites until you find a community you genuinely want to join.

I'd go bard, personally. Their complexity is a fun counterpoint to the wizard's straightforward booms.

10. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

I’d suggest Druid for what it’s worth.

Having a character that can heal in any trio makes the whole leveling experience much less tenuous.

Mistakes happen and you will inevitably take damage. Having to just sit and Regen from 10% back up to 100% takes awhile even with bard Regen.

Also I have a personal disdain for short duration wizard snare, ensnare for life. Lastly FoE or SoW is really nice to have everywhere. Selos works outdoors which is great but going from Selos to nothing is extremely painful the times you must venture inside.

Cadsuane likes this.
  11. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

You’re asking for a tough life here man. Start out with something a little more solid and you can always PL a couple wiz up real quick with their PBAE and a damage shield. Or where is Nukem at. Didn’t he do 3 wizards back in the day?

12. kai4785

kai4785 People Like Me

My first thought was SHM to provide a self sustained "tank". If you wanna kite everything, absolutely go bard.
    With out MGBs, kiting sounds like you'll be resting between fights. Mana song is always nice but it'll be tricky to keep mana song hitting both wizards while kiting. So do you alternate, and keep one sitting while kiting with the other?
    Sounds like a fun out of the box trio.

As for melody, I have 2 macros on the bard. One to stop song, and one to start 3 songs, stopping the first two, ie:
    Code:
    [ Only registered users can see the bbcode. Click Here To Register... ]
    (I'm on mobile and I'm pretty sure I got the pause thing all wrong, so ymmv)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
    pivoo likes this.
  13. Saenayil

Saenayil People Like Me

Dru/Wiz/Brd

You can play it like wiz/wiz/brd but you get the added versatility of soe, ports and longer snare. And you can more easily PL other toons in the future if your needs change.

Pithy likes this.