MGBs, or the lack thereof

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zindrik, Mar 25, 2022.

1. zindrik

zindrik New Member

First of all, I would like to thank all of the people who spend their time to buff random strangers. It's because of you that this server is fun and accessible for newer players. Thank you! :)

With that said, lately there have been fewer and fewer MGBs going out per day. Also, the people who do cast MGBs often times don't do so on a reliable schedule. So those of us lowbies who depend on high level buffs never know when to be online so as to not miss out. One solution to this problem would be to have a somewhat consistent schedule for buffers to cast their buffs. Even a range of a couple hours would go a long way towards knowing when to be online to get buffs. Perhaps people could post in this thread with their preferred times.

I don't want to sound like an entitled jerk, but personally, as a sub 60 trio without a lot of higher level friends, if I don't have KEI and AEGO/POTG running then I don't feel like playing. If I wanted to play hard mode EQ then I would go to P99. :p

Of course, everyone is playing the game to have fun and no one should feel required to go out of their way to provide a service that they don't enjoy doing. I'm just trying to make things simpler and easier for those of us who don't want to play without buffs.

But hey, what do I know, maybe I am just a greedy ahole who shouldn't complain about not having something that the original devs never intended to be in the game in the first place. :p

2. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

1/10

Oiwon and Ripwind like this.
  3. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

I think you have a good point here. It's definitely not fair that low levels have to suffer and play the game. We should be dedicating whatever spare resources toward making sure that doesn't happen.

What we need is a sign up sheet with time slots every hour on the hour. Level 65s with max buff extension AAs can sign up for the slots and commit to being there. If they're busy raiding or grouping then it's not the end of the world to tell their party members to hold pulls for 15 minutes while they head out to PoK. If they're asleep they can simply set an alarm and roll out of bed, do the MGB, and then fall back asleep once buffs are done.

If any time slot has an empty entry (for example, paladins with bells might be hard to find at off-peak hours), someone could offer to play their character for them long enough to do the buffs. Perhaps we could create a community paladin for this?

If there are any time slots that fill up very quickly (weekends, probably), any extra buffers could instead use their extra personal playtime to go out and power-level a group or two In a remote zone somewhere. That would be a better use of time than farming whatever items or AAs they want in the latest expansion. PoP has been out for nearly 3 months now; if players don't already have everything from the expansion at this point then they're probably wasting their time anyway.

_Cwac_, Tesadar, hwrdfrnd and 12 others like this.
  4. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

There is a reason they call the clarity line crack. It is addictive and tough to play without KEI/Virtue on your characters when leveling up. I will say that as you level up you will find their impact not quite as extreme to make the game feel unplayable without them.

Many of us were on this server in your level range when there were far fewer players to play with and no buffs available, it is quite possible to level and progress without high level friends or buffs.

No one will ever have a sign up sheet for MGBs though. People have enough to juggle in their life, I don't think anyone wants an MGB obligation as well :p.

My advice would be when you are lacking MGBs, just AFK at the typical spots people MGB and check in every hour or two. You may well find some buffs on your toons when you return. Another thing to keep in mind is all guilds on this server are raiding quite a bit more than they usually do so during prime time the players with MGB and level 60-65 buffs are often out raiding and logging shortly after those conclude. As guilds progress more, spread out the raid targets more and raid less I imagine more MGBs will happen as peoples nights are freed up from raiding a bit.

Linkamus likes this.
  5. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

Joking aside, it seems this player's experience has been ruined by the easy/fast gameplay enabled by MGBs. Already burned out and "game unplayable" without buffs because they're so powerful, can't imagine playing any other way. It seems like a helpful/kind thing but this can happen when people hand you free equipment and buffs. It shifts the focus from playing the game and trying to do things for yourself, to waiting around and/or begging other players to skip hundreds of hours of gameplay for you. So I don't know, but probably should just refuse buffs/handouts if you don't want to end up like this player.

On live they solved this specific problem by making high level buffs not work on low level players. Sounds like a nerf but it's actually a boon because if no buffs are coming you may as well go and try to play the game yourself. In our era, the level limit is botched and so here we are. It's not quite as bad as getting addicted to shakerpaging but still a bad experience for a new player to be addicted to raid buffs like this.

_Cwac_, Oiwon, Violentine and 5 others like this.
  6. Barnd0g

Barnd0g People Like Me

Please join another server

Nixilplick likes this.
  7. Little Richard

Little Richard New Member

MGB's are great for a low level returning player like me but I'd rather perfect my trio surviving and exping without the help. Now I will run to PoK if there are incoming MGB's but I'd rather be up to date on my characters spells.

8. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

Troll right? Can't be a real person.

Linkamus likes this.
  9. Barnd0g

Barnd0g People Like Me

MGBs should never be expected and that's just a fact. The progression of anyone's toons should not be based on MGBs and it should be considered a luxury and not an expectation. It's crazy to think that people should have to make a schedule to make it possible for lower level toons to play here. If you literally can't play without higher level buffs, then I doubt this is the place for you to play. Having said that, I and others often give gear and buffs out on a regular basis when coming across someone that isn't begging for it. Reading something like this makes me sad and I agree with Solar that maybe it would be best to make MGB buffs only hit players over a certain level.

10. Barnd0g

Barnd0g People Like Me

It's so bad I hope it is...

11. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

I'm not suggesting that buffing low levels needs to be changed, just observing that it was a good idea for the game on live EQ. It's nice to be able to Virtue your level 1 twink and by the time you have a level 65 cleric with this buff it's not an issue. I think it's not as great for new players because they become addicted/dependent and they don't have a way to get the buff except begging a veteran player.. it really is like crack and makes people act like junkies, it seems.

12. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

I do understand how people feel they are a requirement to play if they're coming from P99, not wanting to box and are leveling a solo rogue or something and finding no one to group with on our server that is very top heavy especially since PoP is still so new for most people and not a lot of non-60+ alts are getting played.

But if you are 2 or 3 boxing, or playing a solo class, you can progress just fine without these buffs.

PS don't nerf MGBs. It is unique to this server as no live TLP or any other popular EMU allows you to hit low levels with them. I like that it is unique to AK/TAKP era. Its fun to see people assemble for them when they do happen.

13. Auyster

Auyster People Like Me

shit take

This is why I don't give warnings to my MGBs. Simple because, I don't like you.

14. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

Can we please stop cheating and fix high level buffs landing on lower level players? It's ruining the game and reducing replayability when people can exploit to power level. It's disgusting and I'm shooketh it's persisted for so long.
    At least, make it a subscription feature.

Walex, Ripwind, Braven and 1 other person like this.
  15. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Reliable schedule?!? Had to double check if it is not April Fool here already.
    My trio just hit 50 a little while ago and I pride myself I've never ever asked for MGB in alliance. And I never will!

If you are not trolling, few suggestions:

1 - you don't need MGB's
    2 - if you must have them, do some questing, mats harvesting, TS-ing while you are waiting on them. May bring you some (always needed) plat, while doing it. Coldain rings, shawl... lots of neat stuff to get.

Oiwon likes this.
  16. Mukk

Mukk People Like Me

What in the actual fuck.

Tesadar and Nixilplick like this.
  17. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

I quit doing mgbs months ago due to this type of entitled attitude of a few. So meh.

Oiwon, Nixilplick and Kagatob like this.
  18. Liegezen

Liegezen People Like Me

OMg GuYs hE AsKEd FoR a MgB, ThIS iS WhY I DoN'T MgB AnYMOrE

[​IMG]

19. Auyster

Auyster People Like Me

Liegezen, your input is of really high value.
    Thank you for providing your opinion on this matter.

20. Aithne

Aithne Member

Looks like RNF material.

21. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

That's gross. You're gross.

22. Radda

Radda People Like Me

is this real life?

23. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

Is this just fantasy?

Oiwon likes this.
  24. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

This guy

25. koala

koala Member

In Dynasty, we have a Discord bot that pings a channel when MGBs are announced in alliance. People log in and take advantage, even if they are just logging back out to park. Looking through the channel, MGBs are happening every single day and still quite frequently. I don't think it's fair at all to say that "lately there have been fewer and fewer MGBs going out per day".

rainessa, Break, pivoo and 2 others like this.
  26. Jakkoris

Jakkoris Member

Pretty much this, MGBs helped me level a ton, like you are a God between levels 1-40, then after that they start to wane in power by the time you hit 50 they are great to have but the Sebilis' type zones can still wipe you out pretty fast.

Ultimately you get tested between the levels of 50-60 and I think most people who start quit in these level ranges because the grind becomes real and the MGBs aren't so impactful. 55-60 was the worse levels for me because of the xp grind, not having a dedicated group to xp with and also my trio comp was weak on heals.

I've seen in my short time lots of people get to the 50s and bail from the server due to their addiction to MGBs and then hitting that's 50s speed bump.

TLDR:
    MGBs are great, don't count on them, don't expect their power to last beyond the mid 50s, after that you really need your characters to perform in their roles to get the big W's on the mobs. MGBs will not carry you in the 60s content not. at. all.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
    pivoo likes this.
  27. Ripwind

Ripwind People Like Me

That's actually a cool idea! Could do something similar on the server-wide Discord too, I suppose.

pivoo likes this.
  28. Tyrion

Tyrion Well-Known Member

Automated buff npc’s for all! Should be in eq players bill of rights.

showstring and Ripwind like this.
  29. Neealana

Neealana People Like Me

Didn’t Faith have a toon at the dark bank who would dispense KEIs when hailed?

30. necra

necra People Like Me

it was zamiel i believe

Neealana likes this.