Trio advice...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Textman, Feb 1, 2022.

1. Textman

Textman Member

Excuse me if this has been asked before, but I have searched the fourms and there's not much about trios with SK's. I'm choosing sk cause I think I gotta start out with a tank class, Secondly, I'm thinking shaman for buffs and slows. Now with Tank and Slows covered, I can't decide on the third. I'm looking at either a druid or a necro. I'd like to hear some pros and cons on this setup and which is a better third. Both classes have lots of utility to them so I figured I'd get some of your opinions before I sink a bunch of time leveling up.

Thanks.

2. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

You really will want heals to keep up. Shaman heals might do in a pinch, but he will be working overtime already. I would lean Druid or Cleric. Cleric's heals are best and res is very valuable. Druid has all the movement and can get your trio around faster with teleportation. Their heals really catch up with luclin/Pop as well.

I would choose cleric, druid is also a very good choice. Necromancer will be fun but leave you busy and underhealed.

Textman likes this.
  3. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

The most powerful SK trio is SK/CLR/ENC because charming is silly. Another strong trio is SK/DRU/ENC. SK/SHM/ENC is good too but a bit light on heals in PoP, where mobs hit hard.

If you're set on SK/SHM as the first two, I'd probably add a lazy DPS class as the third. Mage, wizard, or maybe a necro.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
    Textman and Tuluvien like this.
  4. Textman

Textman Member

SK, Druid, Enchanter sounds interesting. I'll give it some thought. I didn't really consider enchanter as a slower but they're slows are about same as shaman. Thanks for the idea.

5. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

At the high end, the difference between SHM (75%), ENC (70), BL (65) and bard (52) slows isn't really noticeable. The big thing is just to get some kinda slow on the mob. I use my chanter's 50% slow most of the time, rather than the 70%, since it's faster and cheaper and I don't really notice the difference. I only roll out the 70% for big stuff.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
    Textman and showstring like this.
  6. Auyster

Auyster People Like Me

The difference between 75%, 70%, and 65% is very noticable.
    75% slow is multiplying the mob's delay by 4x. 70% is 3.33x, and 65% is 2.85x.

Unless I got my reverse haste calculations wrong.

Ransom and Dairmuid like this.
  7. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Depending on who's tanking...yeah its very noticeable.

8. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

can confirm, 50% slow is plenty for exp groups, much less mana and quicker cast time, it's much preferred
    very jealous of the super quick cast time lvl 65 beastlord slow!

I rarely bust out the 70% slow, reserved for special named mobs only

Textman likes this.
  9. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

Ditto. Tepid Deeds for everything unless I'm running scared!

Textman and showstring like this.
  10. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

You are not wrong

Ransom likes this.
  11. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

I only use the big enchanter slow - monk tank and all.

12. kai4785

kai4785 People Like Me

Sk shm Rog would be another good trio for new players. No spells to buy on the rogue. Slap a few weapons on him and you're good to go!

DubRemix88 likes this.
  13. Tarkon

Tarkon Well-Known Member

I also use the 70% slow. I do Rogue/Cleric/Enchanter. Chain "tanks" need all the help we can get.

Textman likes this.
  14. Tyrion

Tyrion Well-Known Member

70% slow till I get to tactics pit then swap to lower mana cost one to keep up with chain pulls!

Textman likes this.
  15. Denzal

Denzal Active Member

Most people run knight/enc/clr. That'sthe holy trinity, and my opinion boring since everyone does it. I run war/shm/mag which I have seen maybe 1 other person run? It certainly has it's limitations when it comes to pulling and heals, but I find it fun and enjoyable. It really shines endgame, especially when the warrior gets geared so I understand it may not be for everyone.

Textman likes this.
  16. DubRemix88

DubRemix88 People Like Me

If youre torn between NEC or DRU with the SK/SHA, I think Druid is gonna be a way better option. It can main heal while the shaman slows, it adds evac, damage shield, a ton of mana free DoT clickies, outdoor pacify, and direct damage spells that rival Mage/Wiz, ports, eagles, you name it. You can stack the druids hp+ac+(mp)regen buff line with shaman's seperate ac and hp buff lines. The 'Oh Shit' buttons are so important in a trio. Spiritofwood is like a backup mini-defensive, Exodus is an instant evac. The only advantage i see to using the Necro is an easier time blowing through the low levels, but then again i dont play one.

Textman likes this.
  17. Tylaric

Tylaric Well-Known Member

Can confirm SK Chanter Druid is awesome, Buddy of mine runs it and it's great.

You'll hate your life until the druid gets the CHeal at 58 but after that your trio will shine.

Textman and DubRemix88 like this.
  18. DubRemix88

Downside is you cant be iksar/iksar/iksar hatebox with the druid in the mix.

Jaruden and Textman like this.
  19. Tylaric

Tylaric Well-Known Member

Chanter - project illusion =)

DubRemix88 likes this.
  20. Saenayil

Saenayil People Like Me

If you're not dead-set on SK, then Pal/Enc/Dru is a packed combo

DubRemix88 likes this.
  21. 98bcobra

98bcobra Member

I run Bst/clr/enc and really like the combo. Only thing I would maybe swap is clr for druid. But nothing beats clr heals in certain situations.

Play what you like. Ive seen soany combos work.

Cadsuane likes this.
  22. Auyster

Auyster People Like Me

Play War/Wiz/Clr and hate yourself.

Textman likes this.
  23. DubRemix88

Or don't play that and just hate Auyster like everyone else ;p

24. Textman

Textman Member

I love it. I might try this out (not as my main trio), just goofing around sometime. Sounds interesting.

25. Textman

Textman Member

This the exact reason I started out as SK, Shaman, Necro. !!!

Manstache and DubRemix88 like this.
  26. prattrs

prattrs Active Member

I've been playing MAG/WAR/CLR lately, and I've been enjoying it. It's basically trading ports for DS and a backstabbing pet far as I can tell. Oh, and CotH.

27. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

monk/rogue/wizard. DO IT

Pithy and actualspaide like this.
  28. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

I'm doing a weird SK/Bard/Wiz. It works, with a fair bit of downtime for Bard to top up SK health. Weird combo.

Bard can CC to keep things in control, Wiz can burn and Evac when it gets hairy. Lots of lifetap.

Textman likes this.
  29. Textman

Textman Member

I started leveling up an enchanter, to join my low 40's SK and Druid. I look forward to trying this trio out. Thanks for all the advice. Discussing different trios is certainly an interesting topic.

DubRemix88, Manstache and Tuluvien like this.
  30. scombden

scombden Member

BST/Druid/cleric
    Checks all the boxes
    Slow/haste/tank/pacify/heals
    For named like arm/sup you have extra heals to keep up until slow lands, enough dps to not feel the need to boil the kettle/microwave water/have a nap during fights.

Textman likes this.