12-22-2021

Discussion in 'Changelog' started by robregen, Dec 22, 2021.

1. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

* Anniversary Quest has been enabled. Weapon Quest has been changed to include Luclin weapons and removed some old weapons. Quest giver will no longer tell you what weapon is needed. but will tell you what weapon is accepted and what isn't when doing a turn in. The idea is to make it more of a scavenger hunts and a bit more challenging. *

Code:
    Haynar

* Improved exp rate meter.
    * Kiting improvements
    * Fixed an issue that was causing archery to fail often.
    * Fixed an issue when a PC is COTH, while feared. If still feared, they should restart their feared movements at the COTH destination.
    * Fixed an issue with push that was causing mobs to jitter when cornered.
    * Fixed some cases where a mob would not update to facing the target they are attacking.
    * Blind mobs will now flee again, when their top hater is out of melee range.
    * Added simulated collision code for mobs kited in a tight circle. They will now spread out a bit more, rather than stacking all on top of each other.

Pathing:
    Haynar

* Updated PoFear map to include outer walls as solid borders, to prevent mobs from fleeing outsize of zone boundaries.
    * Fixed some pathing areas in ssratemple

Baler, Mokli, Elroz and 6 others like this.
  2. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

Thanks for all of the hard work on nav issues!

3. Saenayil

Saenayil People Like Me

I was skeptical about this at first, but it actually looks a lot like I recall on AK. Now whether it's behaving according to memory, I won't be able to say for certain until PoP is out.

I understand the reason for doing this, but precedent had been established with several years of not changing the turn-in weapons. It would have been nice to announce this change earlier considering many folks spent a lot of time at those camps. It seems especially cruel because you (royal you aka all devs) knew people were hoarding ahead of the event. Maybe it's not in the spirit of the event to hoard, maybe you can argue they were taking a gamble, but you still knowingly wasted their time. For the record, I farmed up zero weapons ahead of time, I just feel for all the players who did.

4. Quellious

Quellious Member

Raises hand quietly

5. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

I did not know weps were being horded so bad. I had heard several complaints against the farmers. But decision to change weps was done before last years quests. Just didn’t get around to it.

showstring and Cadsuane like this.
  6. Quellious

Quellious Member

I understand where the devs are coming from and their intention of how the reward for anniversary quests should be handled.

Could I suggest a food for a thought?

Maybe allowing the old items to yield whatever token they did but drastically reduce their probability? (I guess reducing their probability of yielding C tokens because we all know which item people want the most)

7. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

By the way, what does this mean? I note it says "exp rate meter" not just exp meter"?

8. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

I remember a post where Rob actually said he couldn't get around to it last year. If anyone read that, it implied it was going to change at some point, so this is no surprise to me.

showstring and Manstache like this.
  9. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

I didn't mind people hoarding/farming the weapons, I thought it was neat having people doing stuff in old zones that don't get much traffic through the year. Glad to see some new weapons added though!

showstring likes this.
  10. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

We have stuff that notifies staff when AA’s are gained faster than a threshold. I changed it to do a better average and also monitor exp gains. That way if people are gaining exp by nefarious means, we can find out about.

Its not meant as a tool to nerf. But often thats how its used. Hard to find real exploits sometimes.

Mechaike and Cadsuane like this.
  11. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

I got news for you guys. Bugging staff over and over. Sending direct messages. And trying to win us over to allow old weapons still, is not going to end well.

Knock it off. Weapons got changed. It was not guaranteed. And for a two week event, it was never intendended to be a year long farm quest.

Get over yourselves and your self entitled selfish attitudes.

Lamdil, Mechaike, Break and 6 others like this.
  12. Quellious

Quellious Member

My apologies Haynar. I didn't mean to be rude.

On that note, would like to take this chance to thank the devs again for their years of dedication and service. I'm truly grateful this server exists.

N2O-Gamer likes this.
  13. robregen

we had done that but it did not make a difference. The only solution was to changed out weapons every year making like a scavenger hunt.

Quellious, Cadsuane and RossGuy like this.
  14. Quellious

Quellious Member

Thank you Rob for the information, and everything else !

15. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

Weapons had been changed in the past when there became a problem. Langseax of the Wolves being the main one I can think of. It's great the weapons changed. Unfortunately still might get some peeps hoarding a honey hole and not tell people a new weapon that works, but otherwise, it was really only 1 weapon that worked before this change. The falchion, and it was hoarded like crazy. The rest of the options were so terribly rare it really wasn't worth it.

16. Saenayil

Saenayil People Like Me

iirc the Langseax turn-in was changed in the middle of the patch, so no one had Langseax's stored up to turn-in, thus no hours were wasted. I get why the weapons changed, but I feel a sense of injustice for the people who (well within reason) pre-farmed the event.

I agree none of the options were really worth it, but even with the falchion it takes about 800 spawns for a 95% chance of getting a guise. That's 300 hours!

Nothing can be done now, but I feel that that when the devs made this decision at the end of the last event, they should have let people know that despite years of precedence, things will change. There are people on the display-end of this game with hopes and dreams who are doing their best to manipulate pixels a certain way. Due to the nature of the game, the bulk of these efforts to manipulate require a brute force approach, and that takes many human hours. When a human spends many of those hours to manipulate pixels in an expected way, but the method of manipulation changes such that the desired outcome is now impossible it is sad for that human, and we should be compassionate.

An analogy:

Imagine McDonalds starts a promotion where they give you a lottery ticket if you spend at least 20 minutes in the McDonalds after ordering your meal. However, the lottery tickets can only be redeemed in December. You get a different color ticket according to the type of meal you order, Blue for fries, Red for burgers, Yellow for the McSalad. It turns out, that yellow tickets have the highest chance of giving you a limited edition signature cologne created by the founder of Tesla: "Elon's Musk". There is no other way to get this limited edition reward, no matter how much money you have or how much work you do. The only way to get this cologne is to order a meal at McDonalds, sit in the restaurant for 20 minutes, get your ticket, and wait until December to see if it's a winner.

Every year this event goes by and you see your friends win musks. You want one, but you don't have the time or the line is too long, or you have other priorities. But you know you want this reward, and you commit that this year you will put in the effort. Every day you go to McDonalds and order the McSalad. Many days you go multiple times in a row or even sit in the restaurant for hours ordering McSalads every 20 minutes to rack up your tickets. You do this for weeks or months on end until you feel you have a good shot at getting your reward. You wait until December, eagerly anticipating the flurry of scratch-offs and validations, prepared for heartbreak but filled with hope, and then when McDonalds announces that the redemption portal is open, you go to enter your yellow ticket and get a message "invalid ticket color".

Confused, you call McDonalds, asking to speak to a representative, wondering what could be wrong. You're informed that McDonalds found that too many people were ordering McSalads for the yellow tickets, so they are no longer accepting yellow tickets, they had noticed this trend in years past, but decided to shut it down this year. What do you feel? Anger? Confusion? Despair? It's just cologne. It's not the end of the world. But you put in so much effort, and you just wanted the opportunity to win. It's not just that the reward was taken away, but the opportunity was taken away as well, and now you're stuck with a drawer full of yellow tickets that you don't know with what to do...

17. Hove!

Hove! People Like Me

Every opinion you have about how someone should acquire an irrelevant illusion item is completely irrational. What even is this? McSalad?

Thank you devs for getting PoP done and still managing to make any anniversary event happen at all.

RossGuy and showstring like this.
  18. Yarnee

Yarnee People Like Me

that is a rant even i cant top

pakman likes this.
  19. Saenayil

Saenayil People Like Me

This is a forum for a 20 year old video game, and you come here expecting rationality? It started out as a bitcoin analogy, which wasn't quite appropriate, and turned into an insomnia-fueled creative writing exercise. Yes, I have strong feelings on this, but I assume good intent from all and I'm just having fun with it.

@Yarnee lmao, made me chuckle

20. robregen

I am going to review the weapon quest and possibly upped the token chance as well as the chance for the guise. Word of warning: don't permacamp the mob for the token.

Manstache and Baler like this.
  21. Tyrion

Tyrion Well-Known Member

I totally get the scavenger aspect you were going for, but we know once found out its unlikely to be information shared outside a bubble. Just a thought what if due to no warning we got say 24 hours of the old weapons turned on? Maybe that'd make everyone warm and fuzzy ;p

22. RossGuy

RossGuy Well-Known Member

McDonald's is an international for-profit business and TAKP is a non-profit elf sim. The devs aren't doing this for a paycheck or to increase the market share of Al'Kabor. So, have a Super-Sized Coke® and a smile—and quit complaining.

23. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

How about add a chance at pre-nerf circlet. If you turn in as sk or necro?

gardnerjens, showstring and Mokli like this.
  24. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Definitely no prenerf items that provide a tangible power benefit. Guise is fine as it is cosmetic purely. Instant invis on the other hand completely changes the way you can play your SK and Necromancer.

Sketchy likes this.
  25. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

Stones of gnoming perhaps? /strokes chin

Smudge and Tyrion like this.
  26. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Already insta cast invis pots. You just gotta carry a few bags. When doin tricky stuff. You are correct. Makes me not have to carry a bunch of potions. Play smarter.

Guise is a crap reward. If you main a DE.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    Mechaike, Ripwind, Mokli and 2 others like this.
  27. Foxboxx

Foxboxx People Like Me

WTB Wreath of Takish Hiz - 500k

Mechaike likes this.
  28. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

More fashionquest items would be cool. I was thinking about the NPC's in the Nexus and their robes, but they are just simply black and white. Maybe there are some custom items that have no real stats but look neat.

29. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

The staff reserves the right to alter any custom content as we see fit to fix exploitability or be more fair.
    The rants I see about this, demanding staff give you notice are ludicrous at best. What kind of response would you get from SOE back in the day if you did this?
    Do not take our hobby time and nice nature for granted and start getting demanding. We did not force you to prefarm. We did not tell you the game mechanics would be static forever.
    Tone it down or you will get a break and lose all chance at phat anni loots. This is also a good window into how PoP looting debates may evolve. don't do it people. The staff won't put up with loot drama and expecting the dev team does anything.

N2O-Gamer, Quellious, RossGuy and 2 others like this.
  30. robregen

okay increased the chance for Token C and the guise reward now on the takp live server.

Mechaike, Elroz, Smudge and 3 others like this.