How does armor currently work here?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cerebro, Oct 28, 2015.

1. lurari

lurari People Like Me

This is all great work!

For spell buffs, I have a tab on my old tool. It would need to be updated for the level 65 spells, but should save you some time doing background research. I also have agility coded that you can borrow the calc from.

There are a couple quasi-relevant clicks (Protection/Form of Defense, arguably outside of raids Dain's hammer click for Major Shielding).

Big thing to watch out for around spells is how different classes get different returns to their buffed AC (you may have implemented this already, sorry I didn't check!). Ironically, silkies get more benefits from their buffed AC as a general rule.

2. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

Would be more cool if you omitted the "link" and made the URL static up to the '=' and allowed players to merely enter the toons name. Easy enough to just replace the name, but elegance is bliss.

Break likes this.
  3. necra

necra People Like Me

minor thing on breaks spreadsheet. it isnt pulling my AC from my 1hb from magelo

Break likes this.
  4. Break

Break People Like Me

That's a good call, and it's something that already crossed my mind. I'm having trouble concatenating inside of the "=importxml" formulas. It's probably something simple that I'm missing.

I looked at your agility briefly, but I wasn't able to figure out the formula. More specifically, how does your formula evaluate to line 6 in the wiki "If your agility is over 70, add agility / 20"?

I do have the AC values from spells affect silkies differently from the others. I think there were just two formulas. I'm planning on using the spell AC values that you've already imported. Thanks for those and your other suggestions.

5. Break

Break People Like Me

Easy fix. Thanks for the feedback.

6. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

It's been a long time since I looked at this stuff, but I think @Torven said the agility formula changed sometime after TAKP source closed. I believe it's something like this: agility significantly hurts your avoidance if it's below 70 (or 75?); above that floor, it modestly and linearly improves avoidance up to a low-ish ceiling (200?).

7. Bartlesen

Bartlesen New Member

The magic number as I remember has always been 75.

8. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

I researched and tweaked some of this stuff when I added the accurate stats to magelo. The agility bonus has a few tiers and other factors.

// max agility bonus (called agiAvoidance here) is 53 with level > 40 and AGI 200
    // defense 252 (WAR PAL SHD MNK BRD ROG ) = 448 + 53 = 501
    // defense 240 (RNG BST) = 426 + 53 = 479
    // defense 200 (CLR DRU SHM) = 355 + 53 = 408
    // defense 145 (NEC WIZ MAG ENC) = 257 + 53 = 310

Code:
    [ Only registered users can see the bbcode. Click Here To Register... ]

showstring, nworbetan, Pithy and 3 others like this.
  9. Break

Break People Like Me

Thanks for lifting the veil there, Solar. It appears these are all avoidance calculations. Are you willing to share how Mitigation AC is affected by Agi? Also, can you confirm whether or not the formula stated on the Wiki is accurate?

Thank you

10. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

I'd guess the "if AGI>70, add AGI/20" line in mitigation AC calc on the wiki isn't right, but I donno.

11. solar

The listing on the wiki appears correct except for bullet #2, the 33% bonus to worn AC only applies to classes other than pure casters. The AGI > 70 thing is right.

Pithy and Break like this.
  12. Break

Break People Like Me

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. Would that agi adjustment still cap at 200?

13. solar

No cap

Break likes this.
  14. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Heh, neat. So strictly for mitigation, each 26.7 agility gives non-silkies the same benefit as 1 worn AC. Or 255 agility = 10 worn AC, roughly. Which is basically nothing.

For avoidance though agility is actually very solid. Between 75 and 200 agility, every ~3 agility gives 1 avoidance. So for example raising a clumsy ogur's agility from 140 to 200 adds 23 avoidance, a 5% increase in avoidance for tanks. For comparison, CA 1/2/3 increase avoidance by 2/5/10%.

TL;DR: tanks should get their agilities up to 200.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    Break likes this.
  15. nworbetan

nworbetan Member

Your example of a clumsy ogar describes my tank perfectly, and I want to believe that an avatar proc is a 5% avoidance buff. Can you point me toward any further info about the '60 agility --> 23 avoidance --> 5% misses' math?

16. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

From @solar's post, at 75 AGI with 252 defense a tank's avoidance is 448 + 6 = 454. At 200 AGI, that tank has 448 + 53 = 501 avoidance. That 125 AGI bump improves avoidance by (501 - 448)/448 = 11.8% relative to the 75 AGI baseline. Roughly 1% avoidance per 10 points of AGI.

Most tanks don't have 75 AGI, though. Unbuffed ogres in raid gear are generally around 140 to 160 atm, so I used 160 AGI as a baseline, giving 448 + (53 - 6)*(160 - 75)/(200 - 75) = 480 avoidance. Bumping AGI from 160 to 200 increases avoidance by (501 - 480)/480 = 4.4% relative to that 160 AGI baseline.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  17. nworbetan

nworbetan Member

I think I'm with you so far. That 4.4% is the improvement to the agiAvoidance variable without the context of what exactly the overall effect of increasing agiAvoidance by 4.4% is, correct?

18. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Correct. I assume agiAvoidance gets added directly to the overall avoidance score - @solar's post seemed to imply that - but who knows!

19. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

That’s sounding like maxing Agility is actually pretty important for a tank since the avoidance portion of AC is very difficult to increase.

Combat Agility increases this component by 10% at rank 3 doesn’t it? So wouldn’t a plate tank experience a larger avoidance AC going from 75-200 Agility than they would getting Combat Agility 1-3?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
    Pithy likes this.
  20. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Ya, raising AGI from 75 to 200 is a slightly bigger boost to avoidance than buying CA1-3.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
  21. solar

I guess that's true, but these are independent progression paths.. get gear, get AA exp, get AGI buffs.. can do them at the same time. Can get a shaman buff and the 50 AGI belt from VT to get you more than half way.

Break and Pithy like this.
  22. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

totally! and enc haste is another 40 AGI (52 in PoP)

23. Dominar

Dominar Well-Known Member

With PoP and higher stat caps, is there any avoidance increase for AGI over 200?

24. nworbetan

nworbetan Member

Once again, I want to believe this, can you show me the math that demonstrates this, because I haven't seen *that* yet.

I think what I'm really asking is for Solar to show us the rest of the math that actually happens to the variable agiAvoidance gets added to. Is it really as simple as just multiplying that sum by the CA/LR boost and that's it?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
  25. solar

I think Pithy is just talking about this one component value.

// defense 252 (WAR PAL SHD MNK BRD ROG) = 448 + 53 = 501
    // defense 240 (RNG BST) = 426 + 53 = 479
    // defense 200 (CLR DRU SHM) = 355 + 53 = 408
    // defense 145 (NEC WIZ MAG ENC) = 257 + 53 = 310

448 is the avoidance gained from defense skill, 53 is the avoidance gained from AGI.

These values are what each class will end up with when they have maxed their defense and AGI is at 200 or higher. The 10% bonus from CA is then added to this value. This is the avoidance stat that feeds into the combat logic. So if choosing between having 75/200 AGI or obtaining the CA3 AA, 47 (avoidance gained raising AGI 75 -> 200) is more than 44 (10% of 448). It's even more meaningful for a pure caster. I would still get combat agility 3 as the first archetype AA for every class though.

Pithy and Break like this.
  26. nworbetan

nworbetan Member

So far we have

totalAvoidance = (defenseAvoidance * aaAvoidance) + agiAvoidance

where

defenseAvoidance = defense skill * 16/9

aaAvoidance = between 1.0 and 1.27 inclusive depending on AAs

agiAvoidance = between 0 and 53 inclusive according to Solar's function above

Is there anything important missing from this so far?

27. kai4785

kai4785 People Like Me

@Break I love your spreadsheet. I noticed that spell AGI buffs don't get accounted for like Spell AC. Is that right? Worth fixing?

28. Break

Break People Like Me

Oh, I hadn't even thought of that. Great idea. I'll put that in the next time I update it.

necra likes this.
  29. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Li'l note: a lot of silkies and priests have agility around 100 or so. Pumping their agility to 200 should help avoidance quite a bit, comparable to buying all of the Luclin Combat Agility AAs. This is particularly relevant for charming enchanters. Buff your agility with Speed of Vallon to dodge more swings. Also, consider getting some +agility gear.

Lenas likes this.
  30. MsIvyLama

MsIvyLama New Member

@Break

finding your calc super useful, ty for creating it. for the last few weeks i noticed magelo gives an error importing the agility number, which is throwing all the end result calcs off and/or just giving more errors. is this an issue on my end or?