New to server, gear & item priority?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kilnar, Dec 3, 2021.

1. Kilnar

Kilnar New Member

Hello,

New player from P99, just started TAKP earlier this week! I'm enjoying the experience so far but I feel a bit out of sorts with Luclin expansion/items and PoP on the horizon. Wondering if there is a simple priority list for a lowbie to follow regarding item acquisition? I just don't know what's out there, item wise, compared to my P99 experience and I'd like to avoid wasting money. eg. are there decent armor quests of some sort versus purchasing?

Trio consists of BST (9), DRU (9), ENC (4) - catching up this toon to join the duo.

Items I think I need?
    Spells, ofc
    Spyglass for GCD (rip my vision)
    Basic armor & jewelry - quest or purchase? If quest, where do I find them?
    Worn haste
    Mounts for DRU & ENC (long ways off, I'm sure)

First night playing I was gifted 450 plat which helped immensely. Got 2 Shissar Ulaks and a few AC pieces for the BST, saved the remainder for spells.

Thanks in advance!

2. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

There's no real difference in this regard between here or p99. Yeah, get the spells that count, get some gear for your BL, and see ya at 40. There's no gotchas that I know of or simple list to avoid them. Just play and have fun.

Kilnar likes this.
  3. Kilnar

Kilnar New Member

Any easy/no brainer new/lowbie quests to consider?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  4. Braven

Braven Well-Known Member

Keep in mind most race/class combos have the first version of their newbie gear quests here. It can be a fun preoccupation at low levels. You should find links in the wiki. Otherwise focus on ac/hp on the bst and cruise to 60.

Vendor surfing can also be profitable. For instance, I see the kunark bst boots on vendors all the time for a few plat and thats your shrink clicky.

Kilnar likes this.
  5. Kabouter

Kabouter Member

When I started out on this server I did the newbie quests for my characters (enc, clr, mag), and some served me well into my 40s.

Having said that, you can easily buy good gear by just farming spider(ling) silk and selling it in the bazaar.
    and there are 2 items that are cheap/easy to get:
    https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=16394
    https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=16371

Some good items to save up for/quest after the basics:
    - rod of insidious glamour for the enchanter (should be able to get this in your late 20s) or buy it for 1k
    - Earring of Essence for all characters (quest items cost about 4k)
    - silver chitin handwraps for the beastlord (500pp)
    - good weapons for the beastlord
    - items with useful focus effects

Kilnar likes this.
  6. Kilnar

Kilnar New Member

Thanks for the info! Do you sell the silks themselves or combine into swatches? Approximate selling price?

7. Tecmos.Deception

Tecmos.Deception Active Member

Kilnar likes this.
  8. Kilnar

Kilnar New Member

Tecmos.Deception likes this.
  9. Tecmos.Deception

Np.

Don't worry about leveling first and worrying about gear later, if that suits you. My trio are 55 now and only my enchanter has gear in each slot. And most of it isn't great. Pretty sure my bard has 1 ring, no earrings, and some cloth/leather that I got as drops when leveling still... Lol. I just got gcd clickies asap and then added a few focus items (like supple scale armbands) later when I could exp in the spot.

There used to be a guy who gives 1000pp to new players. Someone will have his name for you if you can catch him on.

Someone else (I'm horrible with names) used to give out custom quests and rewards too! Lots of fun if he is still around.

10. Kilnar

Kilnar New Member

Figured I'll end up farming trade skill materials to save up cash. Money always comes easier at higher levels also. Might just keep my nose to the XP grindstone.

11. prattrs

prattrs Active Member

Spyglass is a good and cheap, should be about 200pp or less. I use this at 60 on the druid still.

For basic BST armor I like to make greyhopper hide armor. It's just one greyhopper hide from marus seru and a pattern.

Someone will give you a SCHW for free, or you can buy one for a few hundred pp or less.

There's a certain amount of low-grade classic caster armor that can be acquired by walking up to a mob and nuking it once, provided you have higher level friends. I'm thinking of the +5 int wrist from the ogres in TD, or the Oracle Robe from OOT. Some of the quests in temple of sol ro are doable at mid levels and pretty good. You could also look at the clickies available from Thurg gear, cause sometimes those MQs can go very cheap. You might get some just for the cost of gems.

BST can scoop up rotting goranga spiked clubs from ME (also a good range item rots there), sometimes a bone fisty thing rots from one of the minis in UP. Getting your druid to UP to scoop up rotting Elysian armor will be a coup for you as well.

But all you really need to do I think is XP at a tradeskill material spot. I would start with spider silk from EK at the low end, then move to hoppers in Dawnshroud whenever you can. Learn to deal with the blindness and sell the flawless pelts in the baz for 250pp+. With that money you can hoover up all the cheap stuff in the baz and buy some horses.

Look for a cheap Zlandicar heart for the chanter to hold while leveling if you can. Look for good prices on Earring of the Solstice quest components from bazaar vendors. Should be 4k or less total lately.

Lodi shell parts should be almost free, leaving you to handle just the 1kpp for the quest.

[edit: lodi boots should be almost free too, not sure if those are BST-able]

Kilnar likes this.
  12. Neealana

Neealana People Like Me

If doing the diamond mask quest ( starts with sarnak blood ) try to finish before level 10. Easier CR )

13. Mukk

Mukk People Like Me

Watch Alliance chat for Elysian armor rots for your druid. Once he can port, you can bind in the zone for easy travel if a piece drops.
    Get a MQ for the Thurgadin druid chest piece asap. It's got clicky 15hp group regen, clickable at level 1. Druid bracer has clicky dot. Enchanter boots have clicky invis, pants have clicky clarity. Rod of Insidious Glamour is a useful item for your enchanter, with an instant clicky to reset spell gems.
    Green Silken Drape (Enc - Affliction Haste 2), Fine Cut, Diamond Inlaid Mask (BL/Druid/Enc - Spell Haste 2), Fine Antique Ring, (BL/Druid/Enc Mana Pres 2), Clawed Knuckle Ring (BL/Druid/Enc - Extended Enhancement 2) are all useful focus items that are either cheap, or easy to get.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    Darchon likes this.
  14. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

Wanor does custom quests and Fox something does a quest or too if I remember right.

15. Xotir

Xotir New Member

Gear prio for me has been to buy cheap 30+ damage weapons in bazaar for my pet until I got ensnare then tola robe and -MR for charm pets. Pets hitting for 60 damage is the best bang for your buck, even for a while after they get duel weild.

16. kai4785

kai4785 People Like Me

Is a gcd clicky so important that it's important to find one at level 10? I admit that I'm terrible at charming. Is this the part that makes or breaks charming? Having a gcd for stuns during a break? I feel like I'm missing something here. What is it?

17. Tecmos.Deception

Oh man, a gcd clicky is essential asap for any caster imo. Nuke breaks root? Clicky and fire off a root before the mob gets to you. Trying to cc multiple things? It happens faster with mez too slot and no cooldown. Two people both need heals? It's gonna happen a couple seconds faster with a gcd clicky. Etc.

But it's by no means truly mandatory at 10 or ever. Just an extra edge some people like to take advantage of.

18. Kabouter

Kabouter Member

For sure not at 10.
    I got my rod of insidious glamour around 25-30 and I could have gone without it longer (assuming you are 2 or 3boxing if soloing as an enchanter, get one earlier than that).

19. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

I didn't know it was a thing and never used it until like 2+ years into level 60, so yeah it's not "required" at all tbh. I don't even have it on all my casters.
    You shouldn't exploit anyway

20. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

You can manage without one, its really just for min/maxing. I don't have one on most of my toons and the toons I do have one on I forget to use it 98% of the time, so meh.

21. Tecmos.Deception

I think "it's really just for min/maxing" understates how good using a GCD clicky is, especially when SHTF.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    Break likes this.
  22. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Sounds like a client exploit to me!

23. Tecmos.Deception

Akurate, from what I hear! :)

Mokli likes this.
  24. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

I would definitely recommend having one by around level 50. I have one on every caster I have and use it every play session for sure. It is arguably one of the most powerful piece of equipment a caster can have. Reducing time spent between casts is huge, similar to reducing the casting time on spells. That is why GCD instant cast items and spell haste focii are huge upgrades for your casters.

For priests if you have the option between full Time gear except any form of spell haste or GCD and a character with baz gear plus the best spell haste and global cooldown removal, the later is always superior IMO.

sowislifesowislove likes this.
  25. Kabouter

Kabouter Member

What would be the cheapest GCD clicky that can be bought and used from your inventory? I have the rod of insidious glamour for my enchanter, but no GCD item for my druid and SK.

26. Nakunaru

Nakunaru People Like Me

The Staff of the Wheel quest for wizards is easy and can be done in a short amount of time. Collect the 10ish rods around vanilla, turn in, you get the staff and the inventory clickable stone that casts identify, Star of Eyes. I think that can be used by anyone in the inventory.

27. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

Spyglass isnt bad either, tinkered item

28. kai4785

kai4785 People Like Me

Allowing for different play styles, the gcd cool down fits into my play style as a single box optimization. When I want to focus in on a single box, to the detriment of the other boxes. Like swapping main hand weapons on a rogue for an avatar proc. If you don't need to focus on the other two boxes, seems like a reasonable thing to do. But when SHTF, I don't have the time to focus on one box at a time. Everyone's got a job to do!

29. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

100%. This is the best GCD that can be acquired by anyone pretty much. And identify is useful sometimes. Especially when going for VP key ;). But it does require a target.

Spyglass is awesome too. Doesn’t require a target, can potentially use as a junk buff, but you do get annoying zoom factor. Also there is a giant in wakening lands that drops a scope too. Kromzek Surveyor Scope.

30. prattrs

prattrs Active Member

Using a GCD clickly directly raises caster DPS significantly. It will do so at any level. More casts in less time. The lower level spells generally have shorter cast times, so the GCD clicky is actually likely to be even more effective at low levels.