Best trio for classic era dungeons?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zraxis, Nov 27, 2021.

1. zraxis

zraxis New Member

Hi all!

I played when EQ first came out and I quit EverQuest right after Velious was released, I played a cleric main. Later on I played on a Mac on Alkabar.

I am starting up new on this server so I can play through the classic era dungeons again like Guk, Sol A, Najena, permafrost, old sebilis, kedge keep etc.
    I am not looking to raid.

Does anyone have advice on a solid trio to play for this type of content?
    Really appreciate any tips or advice! I really miss the old days of EverQuest lately!

thank you all so much.

2. Braven

Braven Well-Known Member

Rng/Clr/Enc or Pal/Dru/Enc are strong trios and would be good 1-60. Bst trios are also good but would be missing some functionality pre50.

pivoo, Pithy and DubRemix88 like this.
  3. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

something like magician, necromancer, cleric could do some cool stuff. relying on pets for tanking makes you less gear dependent and being able to gate on all 3 characters makes you less reliant on ports to get out of dungeons. that trio has invis, invis vs undead, pacify, FD, a form of snare, rez. only downside is that your necro and mage might want a lot of the same drops.

Radda, pivoo, Hoodlum and 2 others like this.
  4. Suriinya

Suriinya Well-Known Member

Welcome back to EQ! No matter what classes you decide on, you'll have a great time.

Radda likes this.
  5. Baler

Baler Well-Known Member

Tank: Bst/SK/Pal/Rng/War
    Heals: Clr/Dru/Shm
    Utility: Enc/Shm/Nec

Pick 1 from each category and you got it.
    Optional swap in Dps: Mag/Rog

Edit: If it's your first trio I strong encourage picking a Druid so you can PL future classes you want to swap into your trio. Plus Ports & SoW.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    pivoo and Hoodlum like this.
  6. Mcast

Mcast New Member

There's a big thread about best trios, would apply to classic too:

charming....pal/sk, clr, enc
    non-charm....bst,dru,mag

My guys just hit 60 with a few aa, sk/clr/enc. I'll say charming is a HUGE pain in the neck and at 60 dire charm is kind of crappy. I'm looking at the long term so I wanted personal enc/clr buffs and rez.

I will probably start a bst,dru,mag as my main trio.

pivoo likes this.
  7. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

In densely packed dungeons, snare and indoor pacify are almost must-haves. A trio with FD or mez can live without pac, but it just makes life so much easier. Beyond snare and pac, a dungeon trio needs a healer and some form of tank (possibly a pet) because dungeon kiting isn't a thing.

It's usually easy to grab a four-hour KEI in PoK, so don't worry about brain buffs.

Lots of trios can tank/heal/pac/snare. Some also have good DPS, and bring other nice stuff like evacs and ports. Some classes cover multiple roles: Druids heal+snare. Clerics heal+pac. Paladins tank+pac. Rangers and SKs tank+snare. Bards pac+snare (and tank too in the right class configuration).

A few random trios that cover all the bases:

(Ranger or SK)/cleric/X - X can be anything. Chanter if you like charming. Wizard brings DPS and ports. Mage brings DS and lazy DPS. Lots of other options.

Paladin/druid/X - again, X can be anything. Chanter if you like charming. Necro, mage, wizard also good.

Bard/druid/mage - fantastic if you're good at bard or want to learn. The mage pet keeps mobs glued to the bard, who has a big-ass DS. Bard + KEI keeps the druid and mage flush on mana. Good non-charm DPS, super fast travel. Against caster mobs - who are all over dungeons and can absolutely wreck untwinked trios - bard can sing resists or use mez to interrupt spells.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    pivoo likes this.
  8. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

Ranger cleric enchanter hands down best in my opinion. Snare, track, and best snap aggro in game are clutch. Bow aa later on are fun as hell. Ranger can for sure tank any dungeon with cleric and enchanter back up. If you later want to do some big trophy trios they can lack a bit with some of the harder bosses.

9. zraxis

zraxis New Member

Thank you all so much for the advice. It is greatly appreciated!
    Really interesting combos listed here, I have a lot to think about.

Since this will be my first set of characters on this server , the advice about including a Druid is a good idea. The ranger, cleric and enchanter is also a nice set up.
    I like the idea of the bard, Druid, mage. I never would have thought of that one.

I think I will go with either Ranger, cleric, enchanter or Bard, Druid, Mage

pivoo likes this.
  10. Kabouter

Kabouter Member

Why would you want a pal/sk in the charming trio and not a bst? I guess the paladin has stuns, but what does the SK add for charming that the beastlord doesn't?

11. actualspaide

actualspaide People Like Me

Druid as a healer is nice for bard at high levels too due to low agro on their ch.

12. Mcast

Mcast New Member

Snare mainly and a plate tank, I didn't know bst was a good tank?

13. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

Slow, no double attack for less ripostes, and I guess block is really good.

14. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Better options for fashion questing too with the knight races, IMO.

showstring likes this.
  15. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

I didn't know which trio to start with and I'm now playing with 3 trios, still not sure which should be my main lol

16. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

I run Ranger/Chanter/Cleric too, and its pretty handy.

17. kai4785

kai4785 People Like Me

I did war/clr/dru all the way to 55, where dps really slowed down with 10/20 weapons on the warrior. In fact, my avataar here is that trio in the solb tunnel the day they hit 50 : ) I barely spent any money on gear outside of weapons for the warrior. I had tons of fun doing the Paw of Opolla and Testament of Vanear for both priests, full crafted set for Warrior, going to Unrest at 15, and staying until 30, and killing Efreeti with this trio at level 53 or so.

Tecmos.Deception and Pithy like this.