Enchanter guide from P99

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pivoo, Sep 23, 2021.

1. John Stark

John Stark People Like Me

When we play as a family, I use bard mez when our enchanter is having trouble getting charm to stick. Some bard mezes do not need an instrument.

Note the lack of a reagent/instrument:

https://www.takproject.net/allaclone/spell.php?id=724

https://www.takproject.net/allaclone/spell.php?id=868

https://www.takproject.net/allaclone/spell.php?id=1100

https://www.takproject.net/allaclone/spell.php?id=1197

Versus those that do need an instrument:

https://www.takproject.net/allaclone/spell.php?id=741

https://www.takproject.net/allaclone/spell.php?id=1753

pivoo and Break like this.
  2. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

This. Also…Bard charming is not as easy by the way, and I’m far from a bard pro but heard some good tips. When you charm with a bard you cannot continue to sing charm on that mob. Once the charm ticks off that mob is going to attack you. BUT! You can employ this cool mez trick to help.

Charm the mob, then start singing your mez on it. Then enjoy your time together as pet and master, trying to slaughter the current pixels your after. When that charm ticks off, if you did it right and didn’t get stunned etc, your mez will still be rolling on your previously charmed pet. Works much better if your not playing tank on the bard too.

pivoo likes this.
  3. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Lots you all wrote I didn't understand, because of this I decided to wait with any new questions, until I first try charming.

First I tried lvl 16 ENC + Bard Since I've never did any enchanting before, I was not sure what to do, so i soon stopped experiment.

Somehow I missed your response. This now makes sense. Anyway, I found one great guide for charming at lvl 29 to 35 in Dawnshroud Peak:

https://www.paullynch.org/eqblog/?p=57

I leveled my other Enchanter to 29, then I gave it a try and it clicked. Mushroms are easy, I managed to regain balance after several 'duo' breaks. Nightcrawlers are something else! If i wouldn't have zone line escape, I would be down leveling more than up leveling lol. From now on, next 10 levels minimum, I'm only doing "zone line charming"! If there is no zone line escape close by, I'm NOT charming! They would eat me alive in dungeons.

I tried to duo with Cleric or Druid, but I like solo charming for now better, since I need to worry only about one character. :)

I solo charmed from 29 to 34. At 34 I though I'm getting a life saver spell: Entracing Lights - description says AoE mesmerize. I tried it on two Zelniaks that were standing near me and they could care less about this spell. One was standing there, another walked away. None of them seemd affected by my casting. Am I doing something wrong? I was going to use this spell, when root and charm breaks at the same time, to stop both NPC's, before I re-charm my treasonus pet.

Ah I almost forgot, but when I cast this spell for the first time, just testing, I was standing near guard, I almost got suicided myself. Guard attacked me right away! Luckily I had MGB's on me, that allowed me to reach zone line alive.

Another question. Somewhere I've read, there is on NPC, that when charmed, can easy kill several rockhoppers in nearby cave. Anyone happen to recall the name of that NPC and at what level I should try to charm him?

Yes yes, I'm all for extremely lazy boxing, but don't have Bard at this level. I do have Mage lvl 30 and I will give it a try now that I feel little bit more confident :)

p.s.
    It was my very first time charming ever! In 5 levels from 29 to 34 I only died 1 time. Could avoid that one too, but...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  4. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Thank you!

Right now, my bard is on a back burner, but when I return to him, this will be of great help!

John Stark likes this.
  5. Break

Break People Like Me

Ryklo Rykes. The thread

pivoo likes this.
  6. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Ahh, that's the one! Thanks!
    I need few more levels for this one ;-)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  7. Mukk

Mukk People Like Me

There are different kinds of AoE spells. Targeted AE's, which affect the area around your target, and PB AE's (point-blank) which affect the area around you. Be careful casting PB AE's near guards and other NPC's. If they are in range, you will hit them and they will attack you.

With my enchanter, typically when charm breaks I use the PB AE stun spells - a faster casting one first, to have a better chance of getting the spell off if I'm getting hit, and then a longer lasting one second, to give me time to use a single target mez on my pet, then re-tash and recharm.

Having a clicky item (Rod of Insidious Glamour is a fairly easy quest) is handy, because if you quickly click your clicky item twice, it will reset your spell gems faster than waiting for them to do it on their own, and you can cast your second AE stun and mez faster. I have everything on hotkeys. So, for example, a hotkey for Color Flux, a hotkey for Color Shift, a hotkey for the Rod of Insidious Glamour, a hotkey for mez (I usually just use the level 4 Mesmerize or level 16 Enthrall, since I don't need a long duration). Then when charm breaks, and mob is swinging at you, hit the Color Flux hotkey to stun. Press the Rod of Insidious Glamour hotkey twice to refresh spell gems. Hit the Color Shift hotkey to stun a second time. Press the Rod of Insidious Glamour hotkey twice again, to refresh spell gems. Hit the mez hotkey. Once the mob is mezzed, re-tash and recharm at your leisure.

It's not a lot of time saved using the clicky item to refresh spell gems, but it's just enough that you'll be able to get the second stun off before the first wears off. And then you'll be able to get mez off before the second stun wears off.

I can't speak to the PB AE Entrancing Lights, as I've never used it. I just use the PB AE stuns/single target mez to keep mobs locked.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    Hooplebogart and pivoo like this.
  8. Auyster

Auyster People Like Me

With affliction haste, the lvl 51 stun is enough to get a Boltran's on the mob

pivoo likes this.
  9. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

First, thank you so much for your detailed answer full of useful information!

Yes, I've seen this in some videos. But you need two gem slots for two different stuns. PB AE Mez spell that is not affecting you, sounds perfect, imagine three NPC's turn after you (happened few times to me) and with one single Mez cast, you stop all three of them. But for some reason, looks like spell is not working as description says. Will try PB AE stuns next. It is about time, I also learn chain stunning anyway ;-)

Thank you so much! Of course I didn't have a clue about this clicky item. This will be my first project to do next, to get this Rod!

You don't know how happy I am, that you actually wrote down the exact steps. This is so helpful for clueless and clumsy players like me. Now I can follow exact steps and be able to recreate it. I can't wait to get that Rod and try this.

I have two questions:

Q1:
    What is the hotkey command for Rod? Something in combination with /doability? I'm assuming, Rod need to be equipped.

Q2:
    I'm guessing, the reason for every spell to have on hotkeys is, so you can faster click on them with the mouse? And they are all close next to each other, which helps also. Are the commands regular one liners without pause, like so for example: /cast 1 - for spell in gem slot number one, or you put anything else in their hotkeys macro?

And just to make sure, you create hotkey in actions and then you pull them (drag & drop) into hotbar, correct? And then fast clicking on them with the mouse.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  10. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

Train yourself to use entrancing lights imo. You will be glad that you did when PoP comes and color stuns bounce due to level.

solar and pivoo like this.
  11. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Well, Entrancing Lights would be perfect spell! It uses only one gem slot and does not affect the caster. But how do I use it? I went near two Zelniaks, I cast it few times, and there was no effect. None of them got mezzed. One was just standing there and another slowly walked away. I was doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what. Should i target myself when casting it? (i didn't do this) I targeted one of two zelniaks, but since it is PB AE Mez, I shouldn't need to target anyone, right?

How are you using it?

12. Auyster

Auyster People Like Me

Entrancing Light and PBAE stuns are practically the same except the AE mez can be broken by someone meleeing it. And yes, with a PBAE mez you don't need a target. It will mez everything in a short range around you up to lvl 55, just like AE stun. Wind of Morell is the direct replacement to that spell in PoP which lands on mobs up to lvl 65.

pivoo likes this.
  13. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Thanks! Apparently I was doing something wrong. Will try again and try so long, until it works as it should ;) Just wanted to know if spell is broken or not working as intended. Looks like spell is OK, no one is saying otherwise. Which means I need to get it working...

14. Mukk

Mukk People Like Me

You're welcome. :)

To make a hotkey for the Rod, if you have it equipped, hover the mouse over your rod, and drag and drop it into your hotkeys. You can do the same thing with spells. This is how I make my hotkeys for charming. I don't use the macros with /cast 1, etc, just the relevant spell gems and the rod. You could just use alt+1, etc to cast the spells to save your hotkey slots for other things, but I prefer just pressing 1, 2, etc. and having them as hotkeys. It comes down to personal preference. I just have a setup for typical grouping with mostly macros, and a second hotkey bank for charming with spellgems in a few slots, for speed on charm breaks.

I actually avoid using my mouse as much as possible, as I always lose it on the screen, so my targeting hotkeys I have remapped from "F8" and "F7' ("target nearest mob" and "target nearest PC") to "W" and "E", and "F9" (changes camera angle - sometimes useful to target mobs you can't easily target from first-person, for mezzing, etc) to "Q", so they're all grouped together with 1, 2, 3, etc. I've found it very handy once you're used to it.

Note about the Rod, I am not sure if you can use it from inventory, or if you have to equip it to use it...my enchanter doesn't have a better primary item, so it's just equipped...haha. But you can also create a hotkey of an inventory slot by dragging and dropping, so you can use handy items from inventory while equipping better items.

pivoo likes this.
  15. Break

Break People Like Me

The rod is useable from inventory, and you can make a hot key with an inventory slot the same way you make it for a weapon.

Mukk and pivoo like this.
  16. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Good to know, thanks.

Never did this before for weapon, will look it up

17. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Ah, it is so simple, I should know this, since you can drag/drop buttons around...
    Roger about the mouse.
    Thanks again for all your info!

18. Mukk

Mukk People Like Me

...I am such a liar. haha. Upon closer inspection of my spellbook and current spell lineup, I have been using Entrancing Lights as my second "stun" for a while now, without realizing it. LOL
    I can confirm that it works fine.

Also, I was grouped with someone last night who just used root, backed away from the mob and retashed and recharmed when charm broke. Everyone has their own method.

pivoo likes this.
  19. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

This makes me happy. I was wondering why such good spell would not be used, so I was concluding, maybe is not a good spell. ;) Now I know it is. I will try to use it as main spell for charm breaks.

No time for playing right now, but in about a week I will be able to play again. Can't wait. I got already Rod drop from Upper Guk (for that clicky Rod), but Shadow man are too tough for me for now...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  20. LB1611

LB1611 New Member

Whoa whoa is that my boy, Chopper Dave?!

21. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

Heyoooooooooooooo