Tradeskilling questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pivoo, Sep 22, 2021.

Tags:
  1. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Is ti viable, to create lvl1 character with max possibe INT or WIS and just keep it at lvl 1 and do all the possible tradeskilling with it? (of course, excluding research, alchemy and poison making, that are class specific) Is this even possible, to keep crafter at lvl1? If possible, does it makes sense or at later level there would be liminations?

What is most common way of doing tradeskill? Maybe group tradeskills that are similar on one character (say tailoring and brewing on one character...)

Or maybe one character for all tradeskills, but leveled up? How are you tradeskilling?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    DeadSurvivor likes this.
  2. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

I think most people that do tradeskilling are doing it so they can complete a quest, either the coldain shawl quest series (velious era, farming materials is probably lvl 45+, need most skills in the 150-188 range, result) or the aide grimel quest series (pop era, farming materials requires access to elemental planes, need all skills at or above 220, melee result, caster result). Do the skills on the character where you want the resulting items to end up. Lots of players seem to be taking the long grind of Luclin as a good time to prepare to be able to do the aide grimel series when it is released.

I can think of at least one person that has done extreme amounts of smithing on a level 1 dwarf so they could get access to cultural armors for their halflings, but I can't think of any other reason to do your skilling on a mule.

DeadSurvivor and pivoo like this.
  3. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

To get a tradeskill above 200 (aside from the first one), you need the tradeskill AA's. You can't gain AA's until lvl 51 or 50. I do not recall if tradeskills are limited by the 5*level+5 limitation like other skills.

4. Palarran

Palarran Well-Known Member

Much of tradeskilling can certainly be done on level 1 mules, but you'll find some disadvantages:
    • You'll only be able to get one tradeskill per character above 200, since additional tradeskills require the New Tanaan Crafting Mastery AA, and you can't get AAs until level 51.
    • Some int/wis gear has required/recommended levels, making it more expensive to reach 255.
    • It can be handy to have a grandmaster trophy on an adventuring character: you get a permanent 10-slot 100% WR bag, the ability to summon more temporary bags, and a single-slot +50 cha item.
    • It may be less convenient to do tradeskill-related quests like the Coldain prayer shawl series on a level 1 character.
    • Alchemy and I think Poison Making have maximum skill limited by level. (Tinkering requires level 16 but is not otherwise level-limited.)
    • Several items with tradeskill skill modifiers are raid items. It may be possible to loot them on a non-raiding character but that would be up to your guild.

I chose to do 2 primary tradeskills per main character, spending AAs 4-6 on the first rank of New Tanaan Crafting Mastery so that I could get both above 200 without "wasting" AAs on further ranks once archetype AAs opened up. My pairings were:
    • Tailoring+Fletching (on a wood elf, for access to cultural recipes for both)
    • Jewelcraft+Pottery (on an enchanter, since both benefit from enchanting, plus there's the eventual Jewelcraft Mastery AA; I made the enchanter a gnome so he could tinker as well)
    • Smithing+Brewing (since smithing often calls for brewing tempers). Note that large races can equip a relatively easy to acquire +10% smithing belt
    • Baking (on a character with lots of bank space)

I then have various low-level mules for other cultural tradeskills that I may or may not get to someday.

5. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Tradeskills are not limited by level except Alchemy and Poison Making.

There is little to no reason to do tradeskills on a level 1 character. I can see some value in maybe skilling up your Acrylia or Velium mule in smithing to allow them to do conversions. Or perhaps a specific race like halfling tailor for Leatherfoot haversacks or some cutural smith/tailor.

You could if you really wanted bring a level 1 tradeskiller from 1-200 in all skills but they would only be able to reach 250 on 1 of the 7 base tradeskills due to lacking AAs. But I don't see any value in doing this instead of doing it on your main character

DeadSurvivor, pivoo and iraxion like this.
  6. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

@thucydides
    @Mokli
    @Darchon

Thank you for your answers. I see having crafter at lvl1 doesn't makes sense. I didn't know about AA's and other problems this would cause. Now I know, thanks again

p.s.
    Not sure I will ever get that far to get to "coldain shawl quest series", but will try... ;)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    DeadSurvivor likes this.
  7. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Thank you so much for detailed answer, full of info. I see now how silly was my question. I understand now the problem of only one skill could go over 200 without AA's.

But since I don't understand AA's and mechanic you mentioned above, I have one more question. In order not to "wasting AAs on further ranks once archetype AAs open up" is two tradeskill per per main character optimal and better choice than one main character has say 4 tradeskills?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    DeadSurvivor likes this.
  8. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Moderator, thank you for cleaning up my mess of double posting! :D

DeadSurvivor likes this.
  9. Palarran

Palarran Well-Known Member

It depends on how far you plan to take both AAs and tradeskills. In most cases, increasing tradeskills from 200-240 takes considerably more effort than 0-200, so if you don't need the extra skill above 200 +5%, it may be easier to stick with one character. (The coldain prayer shawl doesn't require any skills above 200, for instance.) On the other extreme, if you plan to complete the "Aid Grimel" quest line in PoP, you'll need to get all primary tradeskills above an unmodified skill of 220 on a single character anyway. That will require spending the full 18 AAs on 6 ranks of New Tanaan Crafting Mastery, and I wouldn't recommend doing that until spending at least 50-100 AAs elsewhere.

But if you're looking at some kind of middle ground, where you want to be prepared to take individual tradeskills past 200 when convenient, then yes, I recommend 1-2 tradeskills per character.

10. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

Perfect, this is what I will do then. I will probably even steal from you tradeskill combinations: Tailoring+Fletching etc.. great help!

DeadSurvivor likes this.
  11. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

if you go hard the tradeskilling could be done in a weekend. Less if you skip blacksmithing, baking and most of pottery (find or buy an MQ for BS and baking, hard part of pottery is droppable). I was very intimidated of tradeskilling for Shawl at first. It’s far from hard. Now, aid grimel, that’s a whole other ballgame.

DeadSurvivor, pivoo and John Stark like this.
  12. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

You probably need to be very dedicated and have lots of plat ;)
    Yeah, I will eventually get to the Shawl...

There is one thing though, it is really hard to do tradeskilling in peace here. It is just not quite working...

For example, I just decide to do a few levels of crafting, when MGB's get announced at DB. Of course I get buffs, then I just can't waste them on skilling up tradeskills and here we go XP-ing again, tradeskill be damned... :p

DeadSurvivor likes this.
  13. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

You really have to learn to hate everything else about this game before you can enjoy tradeskilling. Do you enjoy EXPing? What about human interaction? Have you ever thought "wow! I enjoy that my wrist doesn't hurt!"? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then tradeskilling is not for you.

14. pivoo

pivoo People Like Me

LOL!!!

DeadSurvivor likes this.