New Player Hello & Some Questions for you all

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MojoBojo, Mar 22, 2021.

1. MojoBojo

MojoBojo New Member

Hey all - brand new to TAKP and came here from P99 Green (waaaay before that, played on live too, not AK however). Shout-out to SuperBitsandBob who's videos got me over here. Loving the experience so far on this server.

Currently leveling up a Pal/Druid/Enc. I have a few questions for you all:

1) Just finished up newbie armor quests. From what has been linked in Alliance chat, there seems to be some strong Items from PoP/Luclin quests. Is there a good resource/list for those quests? If not, any suggestions?

2) I am new to boxing in generally, so my plan was to tank and spank (non-charm) up to 50 to get used to boxing, post 50 likely get into Charm for DPS (DPS from charm pet, Paladin still tanking). From an APM perspective, is this feasible? I am experienced with enchanters so managing that itself would not be an issue, but I am worried between the paladin tank and druid heals, I could be too overwhelmed to manage charm breaks too. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

Phaeton likes this.
  2. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

1. I am not sure if any list exists somewhere, but in PoK there's a group of tasks that require you collect 4 items and return them to an NPC or combine them and it results in an item with okay stats and a focus effect. I tend to think these really aren't all that worth it with how fast you can get beyond level 44 on this server but to each their own.

Really on this server the only gear you should focus on is your paladin's for the time being. Your druid/enchanter can get by in cloth and leather, but tank gear really shows its benefits in groups. If I were restarting on the server I would funnel all of my money into my paladin's gear outside of getting spells on Dru/Ench.

2. Yes it is feasible. I started on this server with Dru/Cler/Ench (the same trio I started on AK with). Recently I've phased out the Cleric for the Paladin mostly because I find dealing with charm breaks far more tolerable when you have a plate tank handling the mob(s) in camp and you can just focus your other characters on dealing with the break.

What I tend to do for a charm break is have the paladin target the pet and stun it, tab to chanter and PBAE Stun it, tab to druid and fast heal the chanter, tab back to chanter to Tash -> spam 2 clicks of instant clicky -> charm. If you are struggling with the APM of this activity I would suggest making some hotkeys:

Druid - (Line 1) /pause 2, /tar Enchanter -- (Line 2) /cast heal
    Paladin - (Line 1) /pause 2, /tar Enchanter -- (Line 2) /pause 2, /assist -- (Line 3) /cast stun (level 30 4s stun)

With these hotkeys on a charm break, swap to chanter confirm his target is on the pet, cast tash or PBAE stun, then cycle to druid hit his hotkey, paladin, hit his hotkey, back to enchanter and ideally you will have either already landed your PBAE Stun or Tash, if not your druid is going to land a heal shortly and your paladin probably would've stunned it. Then you can go through your normal PBAE Stun > Tash > Instant clicks > Charm cycle.

Enchanter should always Tab lock their charmed pet. This is done by targetting your charmed pet and clicking TAB a few times. Then next time you clear your target if you hit Tab it will cycle between yourself and your last target (your pet). This is an easy way to grab target on your pet before it starts beating on you.

Druid should almost always maintain Ensnare on the charmed pet. There are rare scenarios where you may not want snare so that repositioning a pet is easier but for your regular group grinding having ensnare on a pet also makes life much easier.

If you are new to boxing additional hotkeys may be advisable. I have a cast /stand -> /cast CH -> /spellbook hotkey for druid so he can meditate immediately after CH when I cannot use horse regen. I have a 5-cast stun hotkey for paladin to lock aggro. I have a /assist paladin -> /cast tash -> /cast slow hotkey for enchanter. These sort of logical 3-5 step processes that you will repeat tens of thousands of times when playing you could just hotkey and turn those several keystrokes into just one.

Pre level 58 you will struggle with the druid healer though. Our healing before Tunare's Renewal is very rough. However once you are 58 with druid CH you can easily do most content. With this trio I've done all of the top level exp camps (juggernauts/ssra/umbral/etc.), plenty of epic fights and dragons. I imagine it is more tolerable with KEI so prevalent from all the MGBs being thrown out now a days. But those Superior heals show their age in the 50s.

3. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

There an overpowered undercon gnome in dawnshroud peaks that is worth charming in your 40s - could be a good place to get your reps in

4. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

5. Cillipis

Cillipis Well-Known Member

Also get a green silken drape for a robe. They are cheap and reduce the cast time on your charms up to the level 39 one.

showstring likes this.
  6. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Affliction Haste working on speeding up charm casts is invaluable however he said he was planning on not charming until 50s at which point the drape isn't working.

The only real AH3 options are the Circlet of Falinkan and the Lcea Belt. The former being the easiest one to get for a newer player since you can pay for an MQ, even doing the quest would be easier though the Dragon Necropolis tunnels are no joke for an undergeared trio.

7. MojoBojo

MojoBojo New Member

Thats a fantastic write up - thanks Darchon. I feel better about this set up then. I was thinking I would need to be main boxing the chanter when charming, but I forgot about the Pally stun for breaks. It sounds much more manageable than what I was imagining. Very much appreciated!

Exactly those! Thank you.

I'll keep those both in mind in case I am feeling more confident boxing approaching 40 and decide to introduce charming earlier than 50.

I appreciate the help! I'll likely have more questions later, but I'll just focus on leveling at this point. MGB's are making it fly.

Cheers!

8. Cillipis

Cillipis Well-Known Member

Though Darchon points out that you will want an AH-3 item (of course you will) and that you may not want to try charming until the 50s, it’s still worth grabbing a drape for practice and remembering that your Level 39 Cajoling whispers spell charms mobs up to level 46. Being a fast, cheap mana, 12 minute charm it gets play in the 50’s still as you ease into the strategy as a faster and cheaper alternative to allure or Boltrans. And I’d say it gets strong use in places like the hole with level 45 backstabbing elementals...

Break likes this.