6-10-2020

Discussion in 'Changelog' started by robregen, Jun 10, 2020.

1. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

Code:
    Torven

* The NPC 'call for help' logic has gotten an overhaul. You may notice some minor changes to this kind of behavior as a result. If you see something that looks wrong, please report it.
    * Landing mez on an NPC will now trigger a call for help.
    * Landing stuns on an NPC will trigger an immediate call for help.
    * Blind and feared NPCs will now call for help.
    * NPC pets will now not attack until the NPC is struck; i.e. 'body pulling' by itself will no longer aggro NPC pets.
    * Killing an NPC with a single attack from an unaggro state will now depop the pet instantly.
    * Rooted NPCs will now face the target again.
    * Blind spells have also gotten an overhaul. Most noteably, blind NPCs will now generally run toward the top hater much more often than not as this spell was not meant to disable NPCs and make them easy kills. (hence why fear has a level cap and blind does not)
    * Blind NPCs will now summon (if the NPC is capable) and cast spells outside of melee range.
    * Blind NPCs will no longer target the closest entity above the top hated entity.
    * Blind's chance to save throw on ticks increased.
    * Blind will no longer prevent low HP fleeing.
    * Blind and feared NPCs that stop moving after the spells wear off and have no target to chase will now stop and no longer ghost.
    Solar
    * Implement Wizard AA Allegiant Familiar
    * Implement Cleric AA Celestial Renewal (single target upgrades to Celestial Regeneration)
    * Fixed the spell cast time reduction AAs to match client: Spell Casting Deftness, Quick Buff, Quick Damage, Quick Evacuation, Quick Summoning
    * Fixed the focus effect filter effect for detrimental/beneficial type spell targets to match the client better. Some spells are group only and don't count as beneficial for focus effect filters.
    * Critical heal implemented for lifetap spell heals
    * Limit the rate of instant clicky spam

Database:
    Robregen

* Cazicthule: fixed the heading on zone in.
    * Maiden Eye: Goranga Battlemaster will now spawn various level between 53 to 56

Lyrina, Dane, showstring and 6 others like this.
  2. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

I didn't realize blind was so broken. Thanks for all your hard work, devs.

showstring likes this.
  3. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Ya, this looks like a great patch! Excited to test some of this stuff out. Thanks y'all.

4. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

So, you have two PC's, one in melee range, one not. The one out of melee range is at the top of the hate list at the time of the blinding. The NPC will then run to the one out of melee range?

5. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

I should have wrote that better. Sorry.

Blind was previously behaving like root was in that it made the NPC target the closest entity and ignore hate entirely and that was removed. Now blind NPCs will behave like unblind NPCs if the top hater is in melee range, else it will attempt to chase (using blind behavior logic) if said person is outside of melee range.

Sketchy likes this.
  6. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

Was there Ever a huge aggro component to flash of light? Sounds to me like this acted like root. 2002 post on all aspects under flash of light spell:
    https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=9417

As a paladin, you don't have the same taunting potential that the fast dual-wielders have. Casting spells like Flash of Light, and even Yaulp to a lesser degree, is one of the more effective ways to taunt a MOB off someone else and onto you. Since the paladins primary job is to take damage, taunting is an important part of taking down every MOB.

7. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

I just want to clarify, this is not for AKcurracy but rather something seen as a bug that the SOE devs later changed and you are replicating here? Because on live during our era, blind acted just like a root if someone was in melee range.

This post is also my recollection:
    https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=143#m105950244494557

Manstache likes this.
  8. Yaximus

Yaximus Member

Interesting conversation, I thought these comments stood out on alla:

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=4413&p=1#m10595428554218
    I'm a 61 necro, and I do use this orb on mobs that aren't fearable. I use it at the bonewall in PoD and such, so I assume that it works just fine on lvl 55 mobs. Not sure how much higher than that would be affected by it. BTW: it works just fine with pets as long as you stay #1 on the hate list, and even so it won't start hitting the pet until the effect wears off.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=4413&p=1#m104168911177825
    From using a Wrapped Entropy Serpent Spine with my rogue and Blind with my beastlord i have figured out that blinded mobs will only run if the person who is highest on the hate list is out of melee range. Blinded mobs also don't hit anyone else but the person highest on the hate list. This could probably be used well in a group because once the mob is snared and blinded none will have to worry about gaining too much agro becuase once the main tank has agro anyone else who gains agro will just cause the mob to walk away. This could also be used by mages to pet kite much like a beastlord would...Beastlord tells bet to stop taunting, dots to gain agro and blinds...mob will run with pet beating on it.

9. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

The comments Yaximus pasted are now how blind functions here: Blind NPCs will 'pseudo-flee' if the top hated entity is out of melee range. It's not going to stand there and attack a target with 1 point of hate while the #1 guy is outside with 10,000 hate. This allows a necro to aggro kite blind NPCs and have their pet attack it.

Blind spells aggro as much as a stun does, more or less depending on the other effects in the spell. Flash of light will do slightly more than a stun without a damage component in it due to the small atk debuff included.

10. sowislifesowislove

Blind definitely seemed broken in many aspects, the whole thing with no aggro when casting with a bunch of friends around sounded broken as hell. But some of this stuff doesn't seem right. Full disclosure, are you using AK logs or getting a lot of info from live with how Blind functions now? I see tons of posts on alla's from close to our era, just a bit after, complaining of it got nerfed etc. Can post all I find. Mainly searching through spell effects of various blinds like Mokli doing... Bio orb has a ton. spell effect for flash of light and blinding luminescence has some as well.

DubRemix88 likes this.
  11. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

Dumbfire pets are unable to unsummon themselves. replicated with a cleric hammer and Amulet of Xuzl clicky. They just spam the spell like 100x per second. I was only able to get it to go away by casting invis on myself, causing the pet to poof.

[Wed Jun 10 13:12:09 2020] You gain party experience!!
    [Wed Jun 10 13:12:09 2020] Lonn begins to cast a spell.
    [Wed Jun 10 13:12:09 2020] Lebarn begins to cast a spell.

showstring likes this.
  12. Yaximus

Yaximus Member

How does summon work in that scenario? The mob would summon and bring you back into range and if you left range again, it would run off and then summon again once its reset? rinse repeat?

Seems like it could open up some new or perhaps lost possibilities regarding killing npcs.

13. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

Yaulp has an aggro component? So many better options for a gem slot, but please correct me if I'm missing something.

14. robregen

HotFix Code
    Torven

* fix for dumbfire pets not despawning

Mechaike likes this.
  15. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

Logs aren't going to provide me with a detailed explanation for how blind should work since the spell effect involves movement.

I can say this though: the only person I see who used blind regularly at all in my logs is a beastlord player. Layonhands (a paladin who knew the game very well and provided a very large log) never used flash of light even once. The logs also catch bio orb use, which I see in here. They weren't used hardly at all. One warrior just looks like he was playing with it as all his casts were in the same couple of minutes. This from 8 gigs of logs of dozens of characters. Blind works on anything with low MR (which includes many raid bosses) has no level cap or immunity flag, so if it were not used much on AK then that makes a strong suggestion on its usefulness. It is a very good hate generator however.

Regarding Allakhazam, there are four comments (all from 2003) total under sunbeam (an AoE blind). What do they say?

"Anyone use this spell?"

"I'm curious if anyone uses this spell in their tactics. It seems forgotten."

"Blinds are rarely used on blue servers."

Yaximus' pasted comments are from Jan 2003 and Jul 2003 and they more or less agree with the new logic I implemented. Yes I based that off Live's current behavior.

I will say however that the logic used to determine the waypoints blind NPCs flee/run to is certainly open to debate and what I put in is a best guess. I don't claim to have put in a perfect solution. I encourage people to go on Live and experiment with it. I can't devote 100 hours to every single issue, so often something is just made better and dropped before moving on to another issue. Issues like this are just not going to have perfect solutions without source code leaks or whatnot.

Mechaike and showstring like this.
  16. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

Appears that it wasn't officially reported yet, but, Pet Hold is completely broken -- doesn't function at all. Was a slightly amusing first-engage in VT tonight.

showstring likes this.
  17. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

My apologies for that. I broke it when I was moving some logic around in the main AI routine to make the code cleaner.

Mechaike, Cadsuane and solar like this.
  18. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

It seems like the blinded NPC seems to hone in on the blind caster pretty easily. Blind, back away, it will run in the direction you were at before, then often on the next tick it will find you and run towards you while still blind. Seemed to happen to me like half of the time.

19. Neealana

Neealana People Like Me

Try changing your aftershave ?

20. sowislifesowislove

This last patch made a lot of things a little quirky. It by chance didn’t mess with grimling war? :D 2 + hours of constant killing and no named. Got pretty rough at the end.

21. robregen

nothing was changed with this script and this patch should have no effect to it. All named are randoms.

22. sowislifesowislove

I definitely noticed a difference in gaining experience after this last patch. I AE a lot and light blues are a big source of my pull. I have done the same pull for a while now and thought I was going crazy with the xp difference. I mean if its AKurate, then is what it is, but why the sudden change?

23. robregen

it's unrelated to this patch. This is changed on the fly for a test / tryout. It will noted next patch on some xp changes especially with light blue xp. Please use general section for feedback.

24. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

Is there any way to know how this "should" be working, specifically in the case of Quick Buff? The AA description doesn't give insight as to which spells it should affect: "This ability reduces the casting time of many beneficial spells that have a duration by 10, 25, and 50 percent."

I noticed that since this patch, my casting time of bedlam is not shortened like it used to be; if I have no spell haste items/buffs, it's using the full casting time. Bedlam has a casting time of 3s which means it's definitely not affected by spell casting deftness (4 second minimum). Should it be affected by quick buff, though? I couldn't find anything definitive on the internets. I only know that it was shortened before and it's not anymore.

25. Devour_Souls

Devour_Souls People Like Me

The client should know the answer. Prior to the patch spell casting deftness was working on spells with less than a 4 second cast time, although the client was reporting the correct cast time. Bedlam should have been casting faster than 3 seconds prior to the patch due to deftness being bugged. I don't think it was a quick buff thing.

26. solar

solar Administrator Staff Member

The AA effects Spell Casting Deftness, Quick Damage and Quick Buff require 4 second cast time. I think I still have some item focus effects that aren't right but I'm more confident about the AA ones.

Walex likes this.
  27. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

Noticing issues with Invisibility line of spells since the patch on various chars

with my ench casting "Invisibility" the client spell bar finishes before server spell lands
    on my druid casting "Superior Camouflague" the client spell bar finishes before server spell lands

in both cases a worn "beneficial haste" type item focus is in question, which does sparkle/fire to reduce client spell bar
    with ench it was "Slippers of Dark Whispers" and on druid it was "Ring of the Shissar"

28. Palarran

Palarran Well-Known Member

Noticed that as well; it appears to be specific to targettable invis spells. Superior Camouflage (targettable, invis), Improved Superior Camouflage (self, invis), and Skin Like Rock (targettable, not invis) all have the same cast time, but of the three only Superior Camouflage has the server cast time not match the client.

29. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

Thirding - on a shaman with EH3 and SH3 (no aa haste) - regular Invisibility was appearing to finish clientside before finishing serverside, so I'd move and get an interrupt with no buff.

30. Indi

Indi Well-Known Member

* Blind NPCs will now summon (if the NPC is capable) and cast spells outside of melee range.

I just posted another thread about summoning NPCs and Blind over in Pathing bugs forum regarding this... this is not how it worked, at least in our era. I shared some posts I found that support this over in that thread.

I don't think many Wizards knew about using bio orbs to expand out and be able to solo summoning mob content, but I certainly used it back in the day. It's definitely situational, and as a solo wiz I was doing anything crazy that other classes weren't already able to do, but it was a nice tool that allowed access to a little more content as a solo wizard who really wanted to break some barriers. ;)