Targeting help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Praterg, May 24, 2019.

1. Praterg

Praterg New Member

Hi Folks. I think this is my 4th week on the server and I am enjoying it so far. Its taken a bit to overcome the habits of a different client though. Got frustrated tonight by not being able to target mobs well when they are in a group. I'm so used to being able to cycle through NPC's with tab ( or some other key). I pulled the center room (3 mobs) in Unrest with my warrior. wanted to single target mez at least one of the 3. WAR was on mummy. the other 2 were a ghoul and darkbone. I have had difficulty from level 1 targeting any skeleton, and I could not tonight either. I also couldn't get the ghoul.. Switched to my short cleric to see if i could target one of the adds and root...couldn't. Whats the trick?..I'm using the so-called 3rd person mode ( F9 2x). So the tl'dr is how do i pick switch targets when mobs are stacked? thanks

2. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

Gotta learn how to click on the mobs, some are trickier than others. You get used to it.
    Try clicking on the mobs head, or ends of limbs, usually easiest spot to target.

3. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

I can't tell from your description if you're clicking or using F8. F8 is your friend 99% of the time but is shite for certain mob models (scarelings in fear come to mind). If you have room to work with you can circle about mashing F8 until you get the target you want.
    You can also use your warrior's melee push to get f8 where you want it. Like if the 3 mobs are all stacked and you're wailing on one, you'll push it forward. Your box standing behind you can f8 and get something you aren't hitting.

4. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

Pretty much what was already said. F8 targets the nearest mob so if the mobs are in a clump, moving around to the opposite side of the clump and hitting F8 will give you a different mob.

I almost never use click targeting with my enchanter. Instead, I'll pull 3 mobs with the tank, F8 mez the front one, back up a tad on the tank, F8 Mez the next one, back up on the tank a bit more, attack the last one. This spreads them out in a nice line and you can refresh mezzes much easier.

5. Dane

Dane People Like Me

This is what I normally do as well. Pull, mez one, back up a bit, and mez another.

I also switched the keybind for Target Nearest NPC from F8 to tab because f-keys are small and dumb.

6. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Also, be mindful that F8 fails occasionally if corpses are in the way, even if hidden.

7. Praterg

Praterg New Member

i should have mentioned there have been times where i can be inches from the mob and F8 will target some farther away UNLESS i change the angle of the camera. was In paludal the other day and had 2 bandits and F8 didn't pick up either but did get the fiend up the path behind the Mushroom :( Same with the BBM goblins that i was killing for cash, the goblin was right in front of me and F* didnt get it but got he beetle somewhere nearby. Not sure why that matters. I ended up moving them with the warrior. its weird but i guess working as intended??
    Boy does it ever :)

8. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Pre-target and /assist

9. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

Another trick I use is to assist my tank to get my mez targets. Since anything beating on you will automatically become your target, if F8 is giving you fits you can just get targets via the warrior. Assist the warrior, mez, back up, assist the war on next target, mez, etc. Once everything is locked down you can start attacking.