Trophy Trios: the Three-Box Challenge

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pithy, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

How does Slay not have a slow dagger yet...

Slayzz likes this.
  2. Slayzz

Slayzz People Like Me

First time I tried It was with a single group when I was like lvl 55. It did not go well and Vaniki made me her b*tc* Haha. Since then just been unlucky on a couple rolls when we killed her on Zlandi raids. Now it’s time I pay her a visit for some payback for that first encounter...

3. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

Intense fight, but I got Vaniki triod.

Tried slowing, but no luck with tash+mala, so just had to chain rune and alternate CHs. Ended up totally oom after using gather mana and 27 runes. Fight lasted just under 7 minutes. That lifetap is just soooo nasty. Great fun! Anyone else done this, or can I claim a #first? :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Lenas, Slayzz, Cadsuane and 4 others like this.
  4. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Nice one! Vaniki's a tough critter.

showstring likes this.
  5. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

Nice one. How much damage shield did you have?

6. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

10 points, lol
    I forgot about it... the strategy was trying to slow it. After like 10 attempts I gave up and went with chain runing, then about half way through the fight I noticed I forgot to dmg shield up so I clicked my blazing arms. I was in the area for about two hours preparing, mainly waiting for a low enough level rat to spawn that I could charm, took four rounds of respawns so I was tired and slightly rushed when a charmable rat finally spawned. As you can see I the respawn of adjacent lvl 60 named wasn't ideally timed either.

So obviously some room for improvement - just stack DS next time and don't bother slowing!

7. Slayzz

Slayzz People Like Me

I’ve wanted to try that since Luclin launch. Nice work dude! I’m guessing server first. Did you heal much on cleric or was it mostly runing on chanter? So basically the same rough strat as VS. just VS with higher dps flurry and 40k hps heh

Just one charm pet? Thought for a sec that second rat in the pic was a strings pet for cleric. But maybe they aren’t low enough over there for it

8. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

Yeah tons of heals on cleric, 17 CHs according to logs, Vaniki utterly shreds... Cleric also provided the much needed DPS via hammer of souls :p

Yeah similar to VS I guess, except VS lifetap can be partially resisted, this one is flat out unresistable 500 each time. Ouchies

Slayzz likes this.
  9. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

Nice!

Did you start by dispelling her? She's a level 66 necromancer, so she probably had Shield of Maelin (+40 MR) up.

10. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

Hmmm I went with pre-tash and pre-Mala (coth after each one), if I dispelled it would have dispelled my Mala along with the magi shield, then it would have probably re-buffed it before I could pull, etc... I'd need some kind of engage while dispelling then re-Mala, then relog the mage to ench, then get a pet which was across the water, blah blah... then probably just get chain resisted on the slows anyway! I do realise Mala -35 is less than Shielding +40, but the mob just rebuffs asap. Probably pointless to Mala then, and could just tash + dispell for slow attempts instead, and I'm not sure how far that'd get ya. Unless of course you got lucky and dispelled the self shield on incoming and not Mala, but there's no way of knowing and would be rather unreliable strategy :p

If I had a shaman with the longer lasting slow, could do dispell + tash + Malo and keep trying to pre-slow with coths as you run around. Then you could definitely burn it down in 5 mins without the lifetap regen.

While it could be worth it, it's possible to just deal with the unslowed nastiness, so stacking dmg shield and maximising DPS and runing/healing through it probably preferred method I'd say.

11. Barnd0g

Barnd0g People Like Me

Not to rain on your parade - but isn't this post about 3 box challenge?

I thought this assumes not logging in other toons for other things (debuffing) or am I missing something?

Does 3 box mean you can cycle multiple toons?

12. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

The p99 forum post that this is emulating has different tiers of "soloing" and you had to specify which you used. For example, did you get help with the clear? Did you only use self buffs? Strong clickies? Etc.
    Sure, logging in other toons in to help is probably like getting help with the clear or not using only self buffs and would place him in a lower tier. And I think puppet strings were considered "strong clickies", But it looks like he's the only person to kill vaniki at all.
    Sounds like the door is open for someone to do it with less resources and get a nice server first!

13. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Sounds like he didn’t even manage to slow it so I think it was effectively a 3 Box regardless.

While I’m in the thread I’ve done all 3 Insignia named mobs in Ssra. Done all of them with two different combinations, Dru/Cler/Ench and Dru/Cler/Mage.

Also have done Valdanov a few times but he doesn’t summon so not really noteworthy.

I’ve gotten fairly proficient at Nagafen/Vox three boxing as well. I do use higher levels to clear the Giants though as it’s much faster that way.

I tried Severilious on Druid/Cleric/Bard but don’t have defensive AAs on druid to tank and the Alts have minimal gear so the fears were real. I’d like to try for a Kunark dragon kill without cheating and using a raid geared plate tank!

14. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

At this point, effectively the only purpose of the extra mage character was to coth me down haha.

Would be good to include some extra targets in the list that people have been attempting, or consider potentially doable now:

Lord Nagafen
    Lady Vox
    Noble Dojorn
    a dracoliche
    Gorenaire
    Severilous
    Trakanon
    Woushi
    8th Shawl Crawl
    Zlandicar
    Master of the Guard
    The Progenitor
    Flurry Drake in NToV
    Gozzrem
    Telkorenar
    Praetorian Myral
    Valdanov Zevfeer
    Advisor Zekuzh
    Arbiter Korazhk
    General Kizuhx
    Zelnithak
    The Va`Dyn
    Servitor of Luclin

While Dozekar, Statue, AC burrower, Rhag1, and seru Praesertums would potentially be trioable, I don't think can't quite include rotation targets sadly.
    Also not sure how far we can go up in Plane of Sky islands - death touching bosses would make Keeper of Souls or Spiroc Lord bosses somewhat impossible :\

any more?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  15. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

8th Shawl Crawl should be trioable.

I’ve considered trying to do the High Priest script in Acrylia Caverns myself but haven’t gotten motivated yet. The full Trondol script may be doable with a manaburn wizard if you can channel it before the 20 second timer expires.

Maybe an easy ST Warder like Nanzata is doable with 3? Would be a stupidly slow kill though.

I think VP dragon Regen prevents any trip attempt until PoP sadly.

PoSky yea Island 4/5/6/7 bosses all death touch.

PoHate maybe Innoruuk is doable by a Plate tank / Cleric / DPS combination. I think his dispel spam would wreck any charmed pet or Mage epic tank ideas.

Umbral Plains has a ton of minis maybe doable. Zelnithak, the fire and ice elementals?

16. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

Zelnithak been triod already, I'll include that in the list

I've been contemplating Innoruuk two-man with 6 chars but even that seems tough. The single target 4 slot dispell proc + grav flux dispell + rampage + slow needing tash + malo/a + possibly oos, makes it a bit challenging for a trio box :|

I tried a shawl crawl trio back in Velious, but the super strong proxy agro ruined my plans of tash + kiting around. Took like 4 tash per mob to beat proxy agro, was a bit insane. Needless to say I failed on the first wolves and all the farming required per attempt discouraged me from trying again.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  17. Foxboxx

Foxboxx People Like Me

Hah, I trioed Zelinthak quite a long time ago with cleric/enchanter/ranger! Such a big server first to claim. Surely no one else will ever be able to do it! =P

18. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

[​IMG]

Which brings me to a couple of questions -
    - what is the drop rate on his head? 0/2 so far
    - is this a bug? :
    [​IMG]

showstring and Sketchy like this.
  19. Walex

Walex I Feel Loved

Impressive! How did you single pull him?

I think the head took me 6 or 7 kills. Definitely seems weird and i was starting to wonder if he drops it at all.

20. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

I always found it odd that mobs that drop a head sometimes don't. I mean, the logic behind it.

21. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

hurrah, 1/3.
    i just trained him to the zone line and tagged if it looked single.

22. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

Hey. Any time you’d like to try, I’m your man ;) got a shawl crawl ready in Tadmor.

23. Foxhorde

Foxhorde People Like Me

Necro chanter cleric

Emp chottal
    Lodi
    Vilefang
    drusella
    KD in cobalt scar
    Entire royal family in chardok
    Pears m in he without the hammer

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    Elrontaur likes this.
  24. Foxhorde

Foxhorde People Like Me

Not sure it counts but I can break fear by running and dragging to north wall then fd then necro Rez the cleric and go from there

25. Foxhorde

Foxhorde People Like Me

The prince gave me the most trouble of the chardok royals just because of the blind and stun on the pull, getting him into position.

The overking wasn’t bad just took every ounce of mana my cleric and necro had and lifeburned when he started to flee

Queen was by far the easiest

Maybe add gantru draknor (sp?)
    Zelniak
    VD
    The names vamps for the loyalist shield quest
    The high priest ring to list

26. Tarkon

Tarkon Well-Known Member

Bumping this. The tiering is a bit off. Talendor is trivial with a melee/healer/bard combo with decent gear and resists. Master Yael I have no clue how he can be 3-boxed with a DT every 30 seconds. I guess it’s possible with two melees and a cleric if you are incredibly fast equipping rezzed toons.

27. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

Yael could work like this: two mages bound in Hole, with a bunch of epics corpsed, and just quickly rez as the pets whittle him down.
    Would be an extremely painful exercise...

also I believe DT is 45 sec

28. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

One mage one monk one cleric and just chain rez the monk while the pet holds aggro between rezzes

29. Tarkon

Tarkon Well-Known Member

I have done Advisor (insignia mob) with rogue/cleric/chanter. Took forever.

I have done Talendor, Severilous and Wuoshi with rogue/cleric/bard. Gore is in reach when I get the lost composition of ervaj scroll and better gear on my bard.

Hyacinth likes this.
  30. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

Ya, that's a very appropriately named scroll. annoyingly rare.

Hyacinth likes this.