Jan2018 Anniversary Event Rewards

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by showstring, Nov 21, 2017.

1. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

i seem to remember an event where you could go to certain zones and get the quest drop from any random mob in the zone. i think that style is a lot more fair.

i think it was an expansion release event?

2. Liegezen

Liegezen People Like Me

So many langseaxs. That one should be removed next year for sure, but all the people that came out there and just jumped right on board made that quest amazing.

I was out there quite a bit, and I can tell you I never seen a single bit of drama come from that camp. Everyone came out there and worked together 100% of the time, they alternated spawns, they always let people know if a mob was just spawned or dead.

I mean, I haven't seen that many guilds work together since that open Inny raid. And though I couldn't disagree with Haynar more about Rez/TLing being even close to an exploit, I can see why farming 5+ weapons and hour doesn't sit well.

Either way, Thank you for the event as always. Can't really complain about a single reward from anni 2, cause you guys for real made that too good imo =p. And thank you to all the guilds that came out there and made langseax run hella smooth. Good times.

3. Aporia

Aporia Member

Having likewise enjoyed the handsome rewards of the 2nd anniversary quest, I would humbly suggest tweaking it to encourage a style of play MORE adventurous than usual, not less. I think the simplest way to do this would be to have action tokens (or some item that can be turned in for them) drop only from mobs that yield exp for the toon who delivers the killing blow. Maybe a very low percentage for trash mobs, higher for nameds. The precise details could obviously be subject to elaboration by the devs and/or community.

TL;DR: I don’t think the generous rewards of anniverary #2 are necessarily problem, just the stagnant style of gameplay that the structure of the event encouraged.

(However, I too humbly thank the devs for giving us a place to play at all ;) )

Videri-Tala likes this.
  4. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Dont expect any quested items next year on aniv 2 quest.

Enjoy ur spoils of war.

5. Jugo!

Jugo! People Like Me

Concur. "emergent" (unintended) and collaborative gameplay is awesome, it's what spawned FD pulling, Quadding, PBOAE, etc, and really made EQ great. And the level of APM kept it interesting, to say it least. Hitting 1 key to kill 1 mob every 25 min on 3 accounts isn't, (and is, to some folks, I suppose, if we're being honest) what EQ is about. I feel we should give players options as to which they want to participate in.

Thank you, at least, for creating a cool TAKP memory for me.

Edit: Also, I am NOT disparaging the quest themselves- I did appreciate the research done into the obscure weaponary that were used in the quest lore/script!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    gardnerjens and lurari like this.
  6. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

trivial loot code was never implemented in EQ for a reason (cause it sux)

7. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Wow 5 an hour? Y'all really must have sucked, with mage coth and Druid porting and my cleric rezzing I had it down to longsex/7 minutes last year and I didn't need a raid

#stillnoguise

8. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

I got a seal - happy monk!

Videri-Tala and lurari like this.
  9. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

This will just turn into level 30 wizards getting AE PLed in Sol A or LGuk or some other high population zone that can easily be PBAE'd down letting the low level get the EXP hits dropping tokens and then the main would loot them.

lurari likes this.
  10. Hove!

Hove! People Like Me

Before the 1hs was removed and you could turn in Basil's head it was 30+ per hour. 5 per hour was Paglan only.

lol @ 7 minutes per. Scrub

11. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

So fungis are worth like a nickel now? And YOU pay ME to throw your CoFs in the garbage, ya?

12. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Why AoN so popular?

13. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

It honestly has the most value being an inventory clickable, all class, instant click item for cooldown removal on spells.

Lesser factors being instant click for AE fights. Also illusion to use a horse if you have all old models on. Or just a status symbol.

14. Dane

Dane People Like Me

Herein lies the problem with the anniversary event in its current state. I love the premise of the anniversary event, but in practice it's my least favorite 2 weeks of the year on TAKP. It drives an already anti-social server into even less community interaction. 4-5 people hold down the majority of the "good" year 2 camps, even while mostly afk. Year 3 camps are easy enough that people don't have any incentive to group and split the fruits of labor.

I like this idea, and I liked it in practice when SOE did it on Live. A few years ago for an anniversary event, they scaled SolB and Permafrost into level 100 zones, and placed a chase item in there with a .00000000001% chance of dropping. The mobs weren't given crazy abilities that required multiple groups, but they did hit hard enough and have enough hp that it was advisable to team up with some friends if you wanted to venture after the chase item. I would definitely like to see some of the better items taken from year 2 event and placed in a difficult zone for the year 4 event. I want to team up with my friends and go chase after some cool items. Not log in to see everyone either solo camping a level 30 named or worse, waiting in line to solo camp a level 30 named. Only other request would be that I prefer adding the chase items directly to the mob's loot table with a .00000000001% drop rate than having a LORE token dropping that requires a PoK turn in.

My dream anniversary 4 event will be held in Gieg's End. Take the Fungi/AoN/Tink Bags off anni2 and put them on all Grieg mobs' loot tables for 2 weeks with a super duper low drop rate. Will this be a popular idea on its face to some of the forum warriors here? No. People want faceroll loot which they can get from loading up 3 mages, afking for 25 minutes, clicking a couple buttons, collecting phatz, and returning to afk. But in practice, something along these lines will prove to be much more fun, immersive and rewarding for those that participate.

Loraen, Pithy and lurari like this.
  15. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

yeah i was definitely surprised to find my motivation to play actually went DOWN with these quests active, and i think you hit the nail on the head as to why.

16. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Good luck on the respawn timer of the wolf....

17. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

To be quite honest, I used this time to do other stuff knowing that competition might be less for these two or so weeks.

18. Liegezen

Liegezen People Like Me

Wolf needs to die for the respawn to matter. Were you killing the wolf too? Maybe that's why your turn ins were so slow ;)

19. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Wish we could have gone back and had celestial temper added as a non big win prize to anniv 3!

Sharpe likes this.
  20. ingwit

ingwit Member

Sharpe and Videri-Tala like this.
  21. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

I'd like to see fungi, cof and strings removed from the 2nd anniversary. I enjoyed the chase item of the 3rd even without intermediate rewards - perhaps because of the lack of intermediate awards. Smulu also got ~20 hours of expin along with faults so that wasn't too bad for hims either.

22. Videri-Tala

Videri-Tala Well-Known Member

23. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

eyepatch is vendor rechargable though

Videri-Tala likes this.
  24. Videri-Tala

Videri-Tala Well-Known Member

Depending on the recharge cost, it might be convenient enough to make one run into Droga and gate back. I think I'm going to do it.

25. Zygote404

Zygote404 Active Member

Anniversary was cool - wasn't around for 1 and 2.

Would be cool to maybe have more mob camps. Blood fork in KC was my only criticism, camped it for two days no drop, got 5 runed falchions in about 8 hours in guk in comparison.

26. Jugo!

Jugo! People Like Me

On a similar note, rng will rng, But I also “wasted” a good 2 days in befallen camping the troll SK for the bone bladed claymore... never dropped, even after confirming that the other sk’s Had the correct drop tables. Was a Bone Bladed Claymore ever turned in for tokens?? I wonder. I know someone else also did 2 days there with no drop at all.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018