Has anyone boxed 3 wizards?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by omega, Oct 9, 2017.

1. omega

omega New Member

If so, how was the experience during Luclin/PoP? To be specific, I'm only referring to life at 60 and 65 both raiding and grouping. I am not concerned about the leveling up factor, only end-game content. It's something I've always wanted to try just for the hell of it because... who doesn't like blowing stuff up?

2. Quirk

Quirk Well-Known Member

Paging Nukem for insight into raiding with 3 lvl 60 wizards.

3. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

Nukem did - he changed to 3 clerics as that has a far larger impact on most raids.

4. Yaximus

Yaximus Member

Do it, 3 wizards will be a significant benefit to any raid guild.

5. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

If you enjoy your main, play it well, understand that mistakes will be made but not to be repeated, and you will be a benefit to any {raid} guild.

Also hey swifty! Long time dude, hows austria hows the bb?

6. Yaximus

Yaximus Member

Maybe I should of phrased that differently. In my opinion, someone playing 3 wizards is significantly more beneficial to the raid than most other 3 box combinations, assuming you have the base necessary class numbers for your raid. At some point you have enough of the dps / support / healer 3 boxes and would be better served with 3 dps that someone can get most the value out of even 3 boxing. Yes there is probably a ton of different circumstances where you would prefer xyz, but overall if my raids were getting done fine as is and someone wanted to join, 3 wizards would be fantastic.

7. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Yep! DPS stacks forever.

8. Tarkon

Tarkon Well-Known Member

Outside of raids, 3 wizards would not be an ideal choice. No tanking, heals, slows, CC. You will be limited in what you can kill.

For raids it would work fine. Wizards are great burst DPS. More importantly, they require very little attention. To be honest, throwing two wizards on top of any main should work just fine for raids. Jizmak raids on his SK with two wizard boxes.

9. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

3 wiz great for AE groups.

gardnerjens likes this.
  10. omega

omega New Member

Thanks for the feedback. 3 wizards here I come :D

gardnerjens likes this.
  11. ingwit

ingwit Member

Let me know if you need any help getting started.

omega likes this.
  12. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Nukem was asking for rezzes 24/7

Oiwon likes this.
  13. Hove!

Hove! People Like Me

That has nothing to do with class choice, he dies all the time on every class.

Verdent, Oiwon, Quirk and 7 others like this.
  14. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

I laughed out loud.

Thanks. Made my day.

15. Oiwon

Oiwon People Like Me

Talk to Nukem for sure. If it were me I would just do 2 wizards and a something as Tarkon mentioned. Nukem also leveled up while a lot of other people were leveling so the path to 60 could be rough going without lots of other leveling groups around. You can always bring the third wiz in to the picture at a later date.
    Anyways cheers for living outside of the box.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  16. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

The fastest trip to 60 I've seen recently was a solo wizard (Wizman aka Rhyss). He grouped a bit but mostly quadded. I think that's as viable a path to 60 for 3 wiz as for 1. Leveling shouldn't be an issue.

17. J1zmak

J1zmak Well-Known Member

You could aggro quad kite on 3 wizards using the targetted AE line of spells. Pull with one and set up in a triangle and just continuously bounce aggro around the vertices. Once you get it down I bet it would go real fast.

Quirk, Oiwon and Pithy like this.
  18. Lusiphur

Lusiphur Member

Are wizards really any use in a box trio? I mean you can make tank + healer + anything work (or charming enc + healer + anything) but in terms of efficiency + utility a wiz is pretty far down the list to add. Wizards (as I recall from Live) were always sub optimal for small grouping but if everyone boxed one on raids then it was like all the Xmas's had come at once.

19. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

/shrug, adding ports and DPS to any self-sufficient duo is never a bad thing. Wizards fit better than you might think in some unconventional trios, too. I've had a lot of fun with bard/enc/wiz, for example. It's a self-contained PBAE squad, and for single mobs you can time a bard mez to land right after each wiz nuke so you never take damage. With enc and bard brain buffs, a wiz can wreck a lotta shop before running oom. Ports+selos give you ridiculous mobility, and charming with bard mez rolling on the pet is easy lazy fun.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    showstring and Oiwon like this.
  20. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

I've played a wizard on every EQ server I've played on. (other than here; but I only played here a week) So I'm very familiar with the class.

Wizards win on raids (starting in Velious, IF you have bane spells) but for solo play, boxing 3 mages is far stronger; particularly when the mage epic is so easy to get here. If you wanna blow stuff up with 3 of the same class, I'd go that route.

The problem with 3 wizards for PBAoE groups is that a 3rd wizard is kind of overkill and knocks out a key class when limited to 6. 2 wizards + 2 enchanters are required; 1 cleric is nearly required; that leaves 1 slot which you generally want for a tank/puller. If you're doing sub 30 mob pulls however, the group can be more flexible in terms of class makeup but you won't be making as much exp.

Ports are much less desirable with PoK open.

Quadding requires (more or less) a run speed buff of some sort. It's nice exp when playing one character, but when 3 boxing, it's not nearly as great.

Bards are obnoxious to box and timing mez for every nuke sounds like a major chore to me.

Hit /pet attack on three characters and toss a nuke on each, watch mob die, target next mob, repeat is basically the easiest solo imaginable. Mages are meditating full-time with no kiting. Resummon pets that die and that's your healer. (casting heals is better at very low levels) Compare mage DD to wizard DD-- 3 mages will blow up a non-raid mob faster than 3 wizards up until high end Luclin nukes or so probably.

Scintillation isn't a bad PBAoE and can fill in for a wizard in a pinch.

Videri-Tala, Oiwon and Pithy like this.