Poll 1 of 2 Devs are curious.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Speedz, May 9, 2017.

?

Type of server you want (client connectivity)

1. Leave as is

2. OSX only

3. OSX but allow PC traders

4. 2 servers, This one as is and another OSX only server.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

"abuse is the hallmark of liberty" is actually a quote from Lord Chief Justice Halisham, a British judge ;)

2. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

Haha right you are. I was just being a smarmy ass. Kind of my go-to

3. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

i don't mind someone taking the piss out of me a bit <3

4. Hove!

Hove! People Like Me

Maybe I'm spoiled, but I haven't witnessed anyone doing anything similar to what's being described here on Live or TAKP. I don't understand why you would take a game that takes so much time and effort for any sense of accomplishment and then cheat at it and remove the whole purpose of playing it. I'm all for trying questionable tactics but if it works and seems like an exploit you tell on yourselves. That's how I've seen everyone else carry themselves. The idea of a 3rd party program being used or abusing IP exemptions or RMT or any of that kind of behavior just seems foreign to me. I feel like unless an entire guild is cool with that type of thing every person that does it will tell someone who will tell someone who will snitch. People who cheat will get themselves caught, I don't think a lot of extra time and effort should be spent on policing it if thats what all this is about.

5. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Lol @Amirite about being in the best guild lololololol

6. Draeko

Draeko Active Member

Any guild without you

7. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

burnburn

8. Kagatob

Kagatob People Like Me

If <Destiny> ever disbanded there's a spot for Bum's bullshit in <Austerity>

9. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

well now we know you'll take anyone.

Elroz, Draeko, Speedz and 1 other person like this.
  10. Amirite

Amirite Well-Known Member

11. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

I would create a guild named < Bums > and I would be the only one in it. I would then show up at other guilds raids and bum flags/keys/loot.

pharmakos likes this.
  12. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

Great post. I decided to quote this bit specifically because to me it stands out the most.
    We have had a few GMs in the past that seemed good but turned out to eventually abuse it.
    Since then we now log everything all GMs do, including the admins. We refuse to let GMs pollute the server with favoritism, using the GM to play their play toons. PLs and such.
    So we do monitor the GM logs just as close or closer than players at times.

The reason I say this is, in just about any Emu, seemingly especially EQ, good honest GMs are hard to come by.
    So our trust level to make sure they keep the same standards of staff involvement as us is low. We are fairly picky about this. But, we do sometimes entertain ideas for more staff.
    It is uncommon we respond favorably to anyone just asking without offering a reason in our eyes that they would be a good fit.

Second bit. You do make a good point. I initially wanted dual servers, but I think you are right. I still want it, but not at the cost of splitting up guilds/friendships and making 2 ghost towns.

13. Dominar

Dominar Well-Known Member

Not really on topic, but since you mentioned splitting the server: when Luclin is opened, it would be nice to keep a Velious server for newer players not ready to progress, assuming there would be a way to move characters later.

14. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Speedz,

I will be your policing GM.

<3,
    Bum
    Customer Service GM of TAKP

15. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

That's crazy. Why not just keep yourself in Velious until you're ready for Luclin?

Quirk likes this.
  16. pharmakos

pharmakos People Like Me

what if you guys added Guides that only had the power to gather evidence? then when they have evidence of people cheating they get ahold of you. good check/balance?

Speedz likes this.
  17. Speedz

We are exploring just that yes.

pharmakos likes this.
  18. shortok

shortok People Like Me

I volunteer as hollowman voyeur detective guide shortok. My justice will be swift.

Elroz likes this.
  19. Loraen

Loraen Well-Known Member

Well, it depends how efficiently they are implemented.

Anyway, I think you are missing my point: I would guess that most hackers use multiple exploits, so you don't have to detect every exploit. You just have to detect a few common ones. And the big advantage of server side is that it catches all forms of cheating. Local spyware won't catch network proxy type issues.

Nod. And TAKP has a huge advantage here since the game accounts are linked to the forum accounts and the bazaar provides an easy database of relative prices. It should be relatively straightforward to write some sort of 'net account platinum flow' and then investigate a few of the biggest offenders.

Also, the fact that no one is bothered by spyware makes me really sad.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  20. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

I'm not concerned about spyware. My machine is a dedicated EQ machine with nothing else on its network.

Were it not, I still trust the devs enough to accept it.

21. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

We have a very good log system that logs everything that a player do including groundspawn, trading, NPC kills, etc. What we really need is a good front end Log viewer.

22. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

I like to get a lot of plat and hand it back and forth amongst different toons.

23. Speedz

As rob said, the log system is a combined effort from all the devs. It covers any and everything a player or GM does.
    If the data is there, we can see it if we apply the correct data joins. Make no mistake, we are very focused on the "catch".
    We have some bits already covered on the front end. Just not as many as I'd like to see yet. But that is my job.

I won't go into too much detail as to what we have and do not have yet. But the data is there, and everything spotted even months down the road as tools are developed will have actions taken.
    All is retroactive :)

Mokli likes this.
  24. jcmtg

jcmtg New Member

I am bothered by it. I'm sure the majority of us (being Internet-aware) are. We're just too elf pixel fixated to care more about it than having our pixels.

25. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

I'm not concerned about spyware I know about and expect.

26. Starsha

Starsha Member

I like the server as it is currently. As a Mac user, I enjoy being able to interact with people who actually get a chance to game here when they have so many options and they choose to come here. I didn't know PC peeps couldn't use the bazaar, but I think that would be helpful if they can, but I always enjoy more places to shop!

27. jcmtg

jcmtg New Member

PC users can use the bazaar. The poll option was for mac users who use (cheap) PCs to run their bazaar-4th-account merchants.

And by 'KNOW ABOUT' you mean open source. So, just another way for the saavy to try to circumvent it. I doubt you meant 'KNOW ABOUT' = told about ahead of time. Because that's like saying: I'm ok with a cavity search at the airport just as long as they warn me ahead of time.o_O

28. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Do you get scared just going outside?

29. jcmtg

jcmtg New Member

My agoraphobia is between me and my psycho-therapist.

30. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Ok, I don't think we understand each other. I am saying if I know about spyware that is part of the AK client, and its purpose is to prevent hacking or tool using, then I don't mind it. And yes, I expect them to have told us about it. That's what I am saying, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

To further explain: I would expect it to be 'spyware-like' in its operation, but its not like actual spyware from a hacker kit or something, or some hack tool named ZyborgDeathDonut0 or something that they distribute with the client. I am talking a small side-DLL that has "hacked" into the client DLL so it can watch things. That's the 'spyware-like' part. Good anti spyware tools will notice this usually and flag it as dangerous, but if i've been told to expect it by teh crew here at TAKP I would exempt it from quarantine.