Experience point distribution for partial green con groups

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hendo, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

You're right, not everyone can pbaoe. Most people on the server do not. Apparently I did the impossible by dungeon crawling and grinding my way through howling stones, sebilis, chardok on my way to 60 X3.

2. Wilshire

Wilshire New Member

Lol.. you guys are overreacting, calm down, I am just one person voicing an opinion.

There aren't good places to xp 55+. It is not impossible to get to 60, I am saying the grind is getting ridiculous. I do enjoy the recreation of old school EQ and enjoy playing it, but I am not a grind sadist like some of you. I do not enjoy sitting in HHK at 55 for hours and hours and hours... cuz its the best xp around. Since this is a thread about experience points... I would advocate for increasing the % bonus until we had better xp options. 20% bonus means 20% less time spent leveling... which is still shitty.

3. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

You don't need to sit somewhere to grind and there are plenty of places to go 55+. I never went somewhere with the intent of grinding exp. I went places with the intent of gearing up myself and my alts, and eventually they were all 60. There are still some items that I want and don't have but now I have zero motivation to camp them because I am maxed out.

The Hole, Howling Stones, Karnor's, Sebilis, Chardok, Dragon Necropolis, Kael, Skyshrine, Icewell Keep, Velketor's, Western Wastes.

Go through them all front to back one time and don't stare at your exp bar.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Khorpus likes this.
  4. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

What is missing at 55+? Here are a few places I've done on other servers, and should be just fine here. Remember, the later the expansion, the more the hitpoints everything has. Avoid Velious (for the most part, some exceptions.)

Howling Stones - if you have a way to single pull or CC, this zone is great exp.
    Karnor's - Go to the basement and just chain pull undead. Not as many drops as in the castle, but much better XP and some gems.
    Sebilis - Avoiding the best drops typically leads to better xp here. Emp and Juggs are great but neither is a good xp grind.
    Chardok - You can get to 60 at the entrance technically. Move a bit deeper for nonstop pulls
    SolB - Don't forget this place goes to 60 with old world hit points

Like Lenas said, ignore your exp bar. Attempt some different spell/skill/tactic lineups with your trio. Switch from tanking to charming back to tanking. Whatever it is to try new strategies and take your mind off the xp. A watched pot never boils, right?

5. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Yeah, your focus is on the 'best' exp, and that's limiting you. If you don't like sitting in hhk for hours, then don't. Anyplace you can get blue kills is the deal. Yes, I know that technically this will get you to the end the fastest, but as far as your enjoyment and immersion goes, if you don't focus on the absolute 'best' exp and just have fun, then the time will *seem* to pass faster because you are having more fun, or at least you aren't deathly bored. If you're goal is absolutely to get to 60 the fastest way possible, well then I don't know what to tell you. I know a lot of people feel that way, but I've never really understood it.

6. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

I camped that imp healing 3 range totem from the hole (ratman jail) from 58-60 i think, was pretty good xp and the drops are a bonus

Khorpus and Draeko like this.
  7. Tryfan

Tryfan People Like Me

I find it hilarious that a few people think there's nowhere to grind 55+. Do they ever look around, or go anywhere beside the dropoff in Hole or upstairs in HHK?

The fact is there's lots of places to exp, it's the levels themselves that are slow. You need a lot of exp. If you expect L57 or whatever to go as fast as 52, then you're in for an awakening.

But no places to exp? Gtfo of here. You're just being lazy. Seb is too far. HS takes too much effort to key. Blah blah blah. If you can't find a place to exp, then you are a poor player, end of story.

8. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Haha, yeah. Seb is a 5 minutes run from POK and HS is one of the easiest keys to get in EQ.

9. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

#doesnthaveHSkeyanddoesntcare

10. Wilshire

Wilshire New Member

Dungeon crawling in the places you all suggested is crappy xp with mostly unfavorable ZEMs. It is exponentially worse than other do grinding options. I think you could make an argument that the slow xp gain was a part of velious at the time, but the clearly stated objective of the server is to recreate al kabor, and it was easy as balls to XP grind on al kabor.

It is not "fun" to grind out another toon to 60 the hard way. I think it's "fun" to do this efficiently and it's "fun" to do game content that is made for end game players at 60/65.

Grinding XP was never ever a part of al kabor, so I guess I'm surprised to see so much resistance to increasing either the experience gain or our xp grinding options.

TLDR: increase the global bonus to 50% until we have better xp grinding options, and hail Satan.

11. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

No rush to hit max level since we aren't going anywhere.

Also, if you want to see the worst xp ever, go to chardok

12. Wilshire

Wilshire New Member

For someone with more limited play time, it's important that you level quickly so you can spend your gaming time doing things like raiding and multi group content, velious is somewhere.
    And yes, chardok sucks.

13. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Sorry to disappoint. But exp rates will not be adjusted beyond what they are.

There will be no bonus exp weekends. Ever.

No exp potions.

What you see is what its going to be. And not changing.

Bum has decreed it. So say we all.

Tuluvien likes this.
  14. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

"Whine whine whine"

Choose to enjoy your time, or shove off.

Haynar likes this.
  15. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Raids aren't fun and not what I am about. I don't mind doing a raid here and there but my limited play time isn't about killing the same 6 raid dudes for 4 hours a day 7 days a week.

#scroogemoneydive

16. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

After a decade it wasn't. After a decade here it won't be, either.

17. Tryfan

Tryfan People Like Me

I actually meant the in zone set of HS keys but yeah the basic point remains. They just want exp handed to them with minimal effort. Even going two zones to Seb or having to assemble a key for HS wings is just too much *work*. Why can't he just be automatically #level 60 ?

I've been in HS a LOT. Never seen this guy there. Actually never seen Wilshire anywhere but the Hole. He doesn't think you can get exp outside of Hole or HHK because he has never tried to.

18. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

I tried selling HS master key sets like 6 months ago and had zero interest :(

19. Hove!

Hove! People Like Me

I got 5 of my own characters to 60 and probably 15 other peoples characters to 60 in a week by making a Hole pbaoe channel and like-minded people joined that channel. You need 3 enc and 2 wiz, it's not rocket science.

Nothing makes me laugh more than "Soandso tells alliance '54 rog LFG' 5 times a day everyday for a month from PoK with no effort. To level my rogue I made a channel for people playing single boxes and I sent tells to every person online playing a class we needed to fill a group and advertised the channel on the forums and in alliance until it was popular enough that there was daily groups. My rogue went from 52-60 in 2 weeks of modest playtime. You're just being lazy if you aren't recruiting what you need to achieve what you want.

Does no one remember what live was like? You had to be outgoing and good at your class or you didn't get anywhere. So many people here just waiting to get carried. Do work.

20. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Fansy does a good side business in selling his pbae XP, you can find his and Nukem's services offered here:

moderator edit: Links to RMT sites is not allowed.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017
  21. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  22. Theus

Theus Well-Known Member

Many people are not outgoing. I know I do not appreciate being laughed at for not being outgoing, I assume others would also not appreciate being laughed at either. Also, posting an LFG is making an effort. Just because some does not bother those playing the needed classes with tells instead of making an LFG announcement in alliance does not make one lazy.

Suriinya likes this.
  23. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Thank you for a productive post.

I had forgotten about HS as I've never killed there many years ago on live. My original post was more around the fact that the same zones become boring rather quickly at 55+ and the ZEM's are so low that the exp doesn't feel worthwhile for the time spent, making it even worse. The easy mobs and high ZEM of the Hole is probably to blame. I guess its the exception, not the rule.

Good point on simply questing or camping needed items/toys and forgetting about it, Lenas.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  24. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Once you get over the initial disorientation and terror, Siren's Grotto is actually a nice, chill place to exp in the 50s. Lots of fun crawls and camps that are basically always open. The incidentals are great, too: 34% haste belt, the best Velious drum, Velious armor gems, shawl and ring quest pieces, etc.

Mokli likes this.
  25. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

This is a zone I'd like to hit once 55+. I havent played in it since live, when I was an undergeared ranger and afraid of it. Hah. Otherwise it was always just a headache of a run through to get to TOV. I look forward to it here.

Pithy likes this.
  26. tibbs

tibbs Member

I also wouldn't count out cobalt scar/kael/skyshrine/icewell (depending on your factions you may like some and not others).

Cobalt scar is safe, easy, and usually fairly open. You can do wyverns without faction hits until 54-55 (all the way to 57 if you don't care about pulling some greens), and then move to othmirs. Othmirs and wyverns both drop hides, but usually people don't want to hurt othmir faction until getting shields/totems for all their toons. Othmir faction CAN be reversed by killing ulthorks though, it's just long and tedious. You'll have to paci pull othmirs, and the chief/quest givers are no joke, but the average othmir isn't bad, can drop crustacean armor, hides for tailoring, and gems. Also if you can kill the chief, he drops runes for ice comet.

Skyshrine is a hugely underrated zone for xp and loot, but mostly because people prefer to stay on CoV faction. Just kill around the pool and kill the lvl 30 mob to get CS keys for your tunes, and you have a fairly quick escape route. Also there's sentry and guardian armor, LOTS of velium that drops for smithing/tailoring, and gems. Plus you can move in farther if you want to and get all sorts of incredible loot, like skyfury scimitar, wurm scale armor, and a host of other goodies.

Kael is actually pretty decent xp, especially near WL zoneline, if you want to stay on coldain/cov faction. Just move in from WL zoneline to arena entrance and back. Some of the buildings have some toughies, and captain bosec SOMETIMES roams, but all in all, should be mostly ez guys with a few minor toughies immediately up the stairs, and all drop 5-6pp per kill, giant scalemail, and other incidentals that vendor half decently.

Icewell is tightly packed, so you'll definitely need to get used to paci pulling, and you'll ruin coldain faction, but that's easy to get back by killing giants. But yeah, here just kill sentries. Plus you can get the no drop frosted royal velium armor that may or may not be some upgrades for your tank, plus gems and cash.

All 3 of the cities also drop velious spells, and icewell/SS specifically can drop the 50+ ones. But yeah, SS can be a goldmine for both tradeskill drops (velium EVERYWHERE) and just gear loot if you're willing to venture in, which I'd recommend cuz of wolf form (if that works here to make you dubious even after getting kos) and evac.

I should note, skyshrine specifically requires some trial and error moving to the tougher content, but with a druid and shrine keys, CRs aren't too long, just CS port, evac to ramp, and run in (and zone in from CS is surrounded by enemies, but you're in a safe spot from aggro even though you're line of sight and only feet away from aggroing if you're kos).

Ransom likes this.
  27. Sverder

Sverder Well-Known Member

Disorientation and terror is right. I had a lot of edge of my seat excitement crawling through the underwater tunnels trying to figure out where the haste belt guy spawned. Eventually someone told me the /loc, but prior to that I got all the BP gems I needed, an awesome shoulder piece for my enchanter (and 2 more rot), a couple of heart attacks, and a bunch of exp for my crew.

Exploring new places and camping for upgrades is really the way to go. Exp comes naturally when you go that way. Plus even some zones with bad ZEMs can offer great exp due to easier mobs or circumstances allowing for faster kill speed. I generally don't haste my weaponized charm pet as my enchanter is not my primary focus, but I do in outdoor zones where I've got SoW and more room to run. The increased kill speed from better charm DPS off sets the lower ZEMs.

28. Wilshire

Wilshire New Member

Thanks to Haynar for the direct response. I respect adhering to principles of the project.
    Lol not sure if you're being sarcastic, but if you aren't, +1. I'm down, anytime.

29. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

he isn't, he will be there on day one of luclin maxing those AAs

30. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Some people are min/maxers. Its how they have fun.