Experience point distribution for partial green con groups

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hendo, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Hendo

Hendo Member

So this is kind of a PLing question, but I guess it bleeds over into other situations as well. For this question lets assume that there is a group of 6 people. Lets also assume that all characters are within the 1.5 level range so that everyone is within the experience range. What if, for example there are 3 toons at lvl 60 and 3 toons at level 40 where all the mobs they are killing are GREEN to the lvl 60s, but dark blue to the lvl 40s. Obviously none of the lvl 60 chars get xp, but do the 3 characters at lvl 40 split the xp:

1. based on a group of 3 (140%) as if the lvl 60s aren't even in the group for 47% each,
    2. based on a group of 6 (260%) were the lvl 40s get normal distribution (43% each) and the 60s 0%, OR
    3. based on a group of 6 (260%) where ALL 260% is divided amongst JUST the 3 lvl 40s getting xp (86% each)??

Thanks
    Trying to learn some sh*t :)

2. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

Your scenario #3 was basically how AK worked. Not sure if that is how it is here.

3. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

I have a very strong suspicion the answer is #3. But I cannot prove this, as it would take a few people to test.

I'm almost positive the number that you are splitting up the exp between doesn't factor in overleveled people. I was PLing a 39 and 35 toon in Unrest and the hits on the greens to the 39 didn't seem to be reduced at all to the 35. But I have no idea if he was simply getting 100% or the exp or 120% (or whatever the 2-man bonus is)

4. cavedude

cavedude Administrator Staff Member

Group splits are getting a rewrite, because I found a few problems with it. (Not just with greens, the whole system has some minor issues and needed some performance tweaks.) Green splits will be working a bit differently than what it is now when it goes in. I'm hoping for the patch, but I started working on this rewrite two patches ago so who knows. I will say there is some debate over this topic. So due to that, I actually have made rules that can be toggled and we can get all 3 methods mentioned above plus a few others if we wanted. Which one will go in will be kept a secret for now, so bug reports and discussion will be a bit less biased. If everything seems right, great. If not, we can toggle rules :)

Edit: Normal splits should see no real change to the player. It's behind the scenes stuff that is mostly getting worked on there.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Pithy likes this.
  5. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

"better PL your alts now" -Cavedude

Lenas likes this.
  6. Hendo

Hendo Member

lol BUM... truth.... did I just become the "teacher teacher, we didn't turn in our homework" guy?? oops

7. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

that is already claimed by #Ravenwing

guy who started playing here and then started turning in all sorts of bug reports and breaking all the good bugs~

8. Neealana

Neealana People Like Me

LOL! Bum I love the new avatar !

9. Tyrion

Tyrion Well-Known Member

Man I better hurry getting my lvl 24's plvled. Thanks tattle tail!

10. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

please note I don't think there may actually be any issues here
    I think #3 is probably correct for our era...? I simply don't recall exactly how it behaved back in the day, because back in the day I had far better PLing techniques that don't seem to work here

after all, remember we did have a crazy out of range group member 'trick' on the EQMac server that isn't being replicated here
    even if #3 isn't correct, it could be an appropriate 'consolation prize' per se

from my limited testing, when killing green-to-60 mobs it seems to behave as if the lvl 60s aren't in the grp at all, and the level 40 gets roughly the same exp as if they soloed it

40-50 seems to be quickest if you just mow down green trash with the level 60s, which slows down later on because mobs get tougher to kill and star turning light blue for the 60s

so the scope of this powerleveling technique is quite limited, and seems less impactful than the OOR group member trick that is disabled here

this is assuming you're PLing chars with level 60s
    I suppose you can do the same with level 55s and level 37s, and so on (whatever the min/max grp member rules are), but that's just even more limited in scope...

just my opinion, shrug

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  11. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

hard to tell if you're joking or not, but this is worth reading again and emphasising

https://www.takproject.net/forums/index.php?threads/rules-101.7/
    https://www.takproject.net/forums/index.php?threads/exploits-and-lack-of-reporting.4156/

You will not exploit ANY bug or weakness in any part of the service. You will not communicate the existence of any such exploitable bug (bugs that grant the user unnatural or unintended benefits within the service), either directly or through public posting, to any other user of the service.

You will promptly report any exploit bug via PM to GMs/Moderators/Admins on the forums. The developers of this service retain the right to classify bugs as they see fit.

Consequences for getting caught intentionally using an unbalancing exploit will result in instant suspension on first warning. After this suspension you will be allowed to play again depending on the severity of the actions.

Finding an exploit and abusing it for personal gain and not reporting it out of self interest is damaging to the project.
    Damaging to the integrity of the community, and is a huge slap in the face to those that spend life times on making this possible.
    As well as to the honest players that want their glory years back.

The collective years of experience among staff and players should easily help determine what is and is not an exploit.
    "Not knowing" is no excuse. Not knowing a "new to you" zone is also no excuse. You should know the game mechanics by now.
    If you truly are new. If something feels too good to be true, it likely is.
    The exploit section is GM/Admin read only with the exception of the poster can see their own thread.
    It was made entirely for this reason, so players can feel safe in reporting things.

It is in the rules that all exploits should be reported and repeated no more than once to verify.
    Yet there are many that seem to think it is ok to do otherwise.
    This is notice that anyone, regardless of affiliation , guild, friends etc.
    Will be vulnerable to deleveling and/or gear surrender at the staff's discretion.

12. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Bum skirts the line by claiming he doesn't know what's intended. He lives in a grey area. Actually, he might live in The Grey.

13. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

Then maybe just best to keep quiet, and stop publicly posting about flaunting the rule and exploiting bugs for personal gain?
    "Not knowing" is no excuse.

I'm assuming he's well aware by profiting from it, but then no need to add salt to the wound by complaining about "good bugs" getting nerfed (aka #ravenwinged) in patch notes.

Guess we don't know the full side of the story because we have no visibility over how many bugs/exploits Bum has submitted to the devs.

I just think that 'joking' about profiting from exploits on public forums might not set the best precedent for other players, since it might harbor the mentality of "getting ahead" by exploiting bugs before they're patched, instead of making the server better for all by reporting issues in a timely manner. We need to help the devs. They are amazing, but we should be part of the solution not part of the problem. Just look at p99 and what a mess that's become because exploits were abused and weren't patched for years and now it's a complete clusterfuck of jerks at the top.

The problem will only get worse with Luclin and PoP since the complexity of the game will increase exponentially. There will be a lot of bugs, and people need to understand it benefits the entire server and community if things are reported and fixed.

/rant off

14. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Our devs are far too capable and observant to allow that. They probably have an invisible bot that just follows him around.

It's important to know when someone is just a loudmouth on forums and when they are a nuisance in game. Bum is extremely helpful and many people here have benefited from that.

15. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

I understand and I don't doubt that at all. But lots of people read the forums to 'assess' a server before playing. Seeing posts complaining about exploits getting fixed, when it clearly states they should be reported in the Rules101 page, can be seen as a slap to the devs and lack of respect. Which is not the kind of mentality/attitude we should ever encourage.

So I'm sure Bum is an asset to the server, and he's just joking, but I'm just trying to point how these type of posts may appear to new players / outsiders.

Basically, our devs are far too amazing to be disrespected in the slightest. They are like the Prophet Muhammad of eqemu. There will be a jihad on your ass if you even joke about breaking the rules.

16. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

lol

cool story bro

I have a combined 491 days play time. I don't do anything that would get me banned. I just like to bitch at #Ravenwing. It's fun.

I dupe my plat and just #si my items to sell in Bumzaar.

17. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

He's alright, I don't know if I'd go that far

this is why Bum is a conundrum, on one hand he promotes the economy and helps new players. On the other, he trolls and probably turns people off before they even give the server a chance.

Long story short? #BanBum2017

Bum likes this.
  18. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

#toomanypeoplealready
    #cantbanforbeingbadass
    #dialup2017

19. Wilshire

Wilshire New Member

I get keeping things real as they were back then, but making the grind a bit easier would do some good for some people and restore sanity. I think its kind of silly that some people advocate to keep it exactly like it was back fifteen years ago but then turn around and PL themselves in a few days using whatever advanced technique you want that other people may not have access to or don't know about.

20. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

We already have a flat 20% bonus and no class penalties. Leveling here ain't hard even when new.

21. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

On each EQ server I play/have played on, I usually enjoy the first charcter(s) grind up through regular means.

Doing dungeon crawls and quests etc on my way to level 60 is fun... one time per server. After that one time though, the characters I want to level are basically only leveled to be used as a box on a raid, or to be used as a box in a group camp to farm gear. For those characters leveling up isn't part of their journey, it's just a hassle. Thus, powerleveling.

22. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

What darchon means is it took him forever to reach level 60 on his first trio, mainly cause he likes to push boundaries aka die a lot~

23. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

I 3-boxed Keldor at level 55! It was fun figuring it out!

showstring likes this.
  24. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

55!

55!

Ransom likes this.
  25. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

That was about correct for my Kael farming days... Those charm breaks are unforgiving.

26. Wilshire

Wilshire New Member

There's still a significant grind to 60 requiring hours and hours of repetitive work. You cannot reliably get to 60 by dungeon crawling and raiding, there's still a lot of mindless work to 60.

I'd like to see the exp bonus increased more until we have more viable places to Grind experience to 60.

And no not everyone can pbaoe the hole.

27. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

Well, some of us kind of like the grind. I have no desire to race to 60.

28. Velili

Velili Member

Forget more bonuses, already have 20%, this isn't WoW

Lenas likes this.
  29. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

I kind of agree. However, there aren't many options on where to grind 55+ at this point in our progression. Just wish we had a few more worthwhile options than grinding in the Hole, Seb, Velks, etc.

30. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

This thread sucks. You guys suck. Go EXP.

Let's hand out some prayer shawls while we at it, cause tradeskilling is just such a grind.

"I know I'm playing old-school EverQuest but could you guys just hand me level 60? Coolthx"

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Lenas likes this.