Haynar's new client mods.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Haynar, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Yes. More instructions are needed. I was just trying to fix existing macros.

But it was working good after i understood it better.

Only took me 10 min to realize I HATE playing multiple clients on one computer.

2. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

I dunno why you hate multi clients on 1 comp haynar, I love it. I have 2 monitors, and my left one I have the 3 clients tiled. Right monitor is for maps/looking quests up/etc. I can't imagine being on 2/3 computers, and having to switch keyboard/mouse.

3. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Probably because my only time doing single computer setup, is on a laptop with one screen. And the keyboard is probably too compact. Two screens really are the minimum for anything these days.

Mambo likes this.
  4. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

Oh fair enough, I can totally understand that. Thanks for the explanation, I was just curious.

5. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Psh, no way. I work, code, play on a single 15" :p

6. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

Oh and this may sound strange, but is there a way to change what the clients are called on startup? Or disable the HKN client renaming? I tried deleting all the HKN stuff from the install package in my eq folders, it didn't work. I had HKN working with my own script to launch EQ, then rename the windows to Paladin, Shaman, Rogue, Druid, etc. So I have some macros set up to work with those names, I have to change everything over to Client 1, 2, 3, etc, which I prefer not to do.. I can of course rename manually with HKN, but was hoping to do it automatically. Thanks for all the work you do here.

7. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Yes. Can set to load from ini what you want them named. Can do some more work on it hopefully later this week.

H

Mambo and Lenas like this.
  8. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

Sorry, eqw.ini, or eqclient.ini? Took a look through eqclient.ini but couldnt find it. Did see the option for FPS limitation though. I am missing something here.

9. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Its not set up to load from ini currently. Can add it.

10. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

Oh gotcha, cool Haynar, take your time, I am happy to work around it.

11. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

A release candidate pc client is up on the wiki which has the latest Haynar's mod. In addition, missing sounds file are added as well as including emt files that make the music and sounds work. The eqclient.ini were readjusted to fix the vah shir armor visual bug.

Probably want to test it out to make sure everything works before we replace the other link.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    Volkmeer, Elroz, Mambo and 2 others like this.
  12. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Thanks rob for doing that )

13. Skratching

Skratching Active Member

Thank you Rob!

14. Ripwind

Ripwind People Like Me

Oh man, I'm so excited to get this set up when I get home so I can run in semi-full screen again! What folders do I need to back up so I don't wipe out my UI and friends lists?

Thanks, Haynar!

15. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

Thanks a ton Haynar and Rob! Does anyone else have this happen? If I idle my chars at the login screen for too long, if I try to log them back in from there, I will get a disconnected from server message. Then I get bounced back to server select. When I go back to char select, and login my chars, there is a very good chance that I just get a total client crash, no error message or anything, the client just poofs. This has always happened to me, so its not specifically related to updating this client. Wondering others experiences on this. Other then that, client is rock solid.

16. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Yes idle at login screen has always dc'd you after a length of time

17. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

This is normal behavior.

These latest client mods are very solid. Stable.

Full screen is amazing. Switching between windowed and fullscreen is lightning fast. Even though it is not a "real" fullscreen. You cant tell a difference.

Even in newer client mods like WinEQ 2, the pseudo full screen doesn't feel the same. This full screen boarderless window is flawless. I am not sure the difference, why this works better. But it does.

Compared to Titanium, I would take this any day. I was running the current EQ client the other day windowed. And its changing the desktop gamma. And ... ewww.

Have to admit. The PC client is working really nice.

H

surron and Pithy like this.
  18. robregen

next RC is goign to include the Luclin mp3 as well as the emt that includes it.

Elroz likes this.
  19. John Stark

John Stark People Like Me

I have not updated yet to the latest files from the last few days/week, but I don't think it matters with these issues.

When I have two or more clients running, and I alt+tab from one to another (old habit!), I find that frequently (but not always) the keyboard doesn't work in whichever client I tabbed into. I can alt+enter that window and then alt+enter again to get the keyboard working once more, but when I do this the cursor is in the chat box and any typing I do at that point (like pushing W to move forward) ends up as text unless I first use the mouse pointer to click on the chat box.

I always delete all key binds and set my own preferred minimal setup, so I can't see anything in terms of keystrokes that would conflict or cause this when I alt+tab.

The other issue I was having was lag. When I first set up Haynar's there was almost no lag at all. I've been playing with my FPS settings a bit to see if I could up the frame rate when running 2 or 3 clients, but it seems (for me) that raising the frame rate with more than one client running creates a far amount of lag, where there was almost none with FPS and background FPS set to 30. I realize that lag can be due to a lot of things, so maybe this issue is something else unrelated to playing with this client on this server at all.

I don't think its my rig. Even though its a laptop, I have 8 gigs of RAM and 4 gigs of dedicated Nvidia video RAM. Frame rates were sometimes a pita back on Live with multiple clients running, so I simply went back down to 30 FPS and it seems mulitple clients run a lot smoother with little lag with that setting (exceptions being PoK and Bazaar). FYI.

Anyways, still really liking this client, and posting to give feedback that I hope is constructive. Thanks!

20. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Update to the latest files.

There were many issues resolved. Some which you describe.

21. John Stark

Ahh, didn't realize that, I'll be sure to do that.

Thank you!

22. John Stark

I updated to your latest files last night, and that really did make a lot of difference. Thanks for your continued work on this.

I see now in the other thread about restoring EQ music to specific zones and locations that there is a new Release Client 2 available.

Is that Release Client 2 completely your own thing, or is it just the original PC "pre-configured client" from the wiki page with your new files added into it plus the music files?

I'm wondering if I need to go to the Release Client 2 given that I have the "pre-configured client" and your latest files from your OP in this thread already running smoothly. I'm not concerned with the music files at this time.

23. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

Yes, but it also has some environmental sounds (like crickets, wind blowing, etc) that were apparently missing. It also has hotkeynet with a simple client focus changing script that I believe was packaged with Secrets' mod.

When the client is proven to be satisfactory, it will probably be called 'The Supported Client' or something similar, version one. If you have a currently working client then you do not need to download this new one, but you may want it anyway. Moving your configuration over isn't difficult, so you don't have to set up everything again.

24. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Ah cool, I had forgotten about those types of sounds. They are definitely missing from my client. Looking forward to upgrading.

25. John Stark

I am looking forward to hearing the restored music and environment sounds, as I actually like playing with sounds and music turned on while playing.

Thanks Torven, I appreciate your reply.

26. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

I guess it wouldn't be such of an issue if it wasn't also always associated with a crash to desktop. So I have an idle char on the login screen, and I try to log back in, or even select another char on the same account, and I get pushed back to the server select screen. From there, I go back to char select, and login. Now at that point, there is a high, (80%) chance that that client will instantly CTD, or sometimes, it will even enter the game, perform fine for 30s, then CTD. No error message or anything. Even if I leave chars at the server select screen this same issue will happen. It's the CTDs with no error message that interfere. For my setup, this is the last reliable crash. PC, Windows 7, all client versions including the updated one. Is this client related, or something happening on my computer?

27. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

I have seen this too. If you get kicked back to login screen, for any reason. This includes going backwards from server select, to login again. Its best to close the client and restart it.

It doesn't happen every time. Something doesn't get reset in the client. Even if you make it in game. Often as soon as you try to move, then you crash.

I am still trying to figure out how to make this better. Or even force closing down client in one of these situations.

Something I might do, is only allow client to go to login screen when starting up. Any other time have it exit. That way later crashes are prevented from this situation, since finding the exact cause may not be possible.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  28. robregen

from I remember. any zone other than bazaar you idled in after a certain amount of time will kick you. I don't remember where I heard this from.

29. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

Are you remembering WoW?

I've never had EQ clients boot me for inactivity. Sometimes I forget I have clients running on Live and go to bed and find them still logged in after I wake up. I've had clients logged in for a week straight doing melee parses.

30. robregen

no someone mentioned it in the Dev channel in the client decompiled very early on in alpha. I think it might have been Secrets. I've personally never got D/C on live.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016