How does armor currently work here?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cerebro, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

You're right, worn item AC should >= 146

Quite easy as Torven said... I can get up to 210 worn with my Kunark set.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  2. Yinn Yang

Yinn Yang People Like Me

Early on in EQ days (like 2000-2001ish), I recall having to explain this to my group healers a lot. They were used to healing a warrior or tank class where you could let them almost join the purple-club (5%ish) before that complete heal hit. What I kept noticing was that people were impressed with my monk tankage but didn't understand that as soon as I dropped below 10% (or was it 20%?) and my Agility suffered, my avoidance went to crap and in fact my mitigation just wasn't good... therefore if I was at 10%, I was pretty much dead. Took me a long time to figure out what was really going on, but the sound of the crunches as I got hit increased exponentially when I was low on life. So, once I explained to my healers that 20% for me was far too risky compared to a warrior or plate-class, I stayed alive much more.

IMHO, Pithy is right on the money, monk's avoidance is amazing... but take that away and the mitigation if hit, is horrible and will bring about a quick death.

3. Jugo!

Jugo! People Like Me

Nice find. I didn't notice that. on AK I used alla's lucy to determine if XYZ book was considered a shield or not. (Many have AC, but aren't shields)

4. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

So who wants to make a little web app that lets you choose your class/race/level/skills etc to figure out soft caps?

Break, Mambo, Ransom and 1 other person like this.
  5. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Kind of why I was asking, I am thinking about it

Mambo and Ransom like this.
  6. Jugo!

Jugo! People Like Me

Although, will it be worthwhile once we are in Velious?

7. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Jugo did you just piss in my cheerios? :D :D

Could still be a fun project for figuring out optimal gear with/without buffs, or with certain buff combinations.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  8. thucydides

thucydides I Feel Loved

is the implication that velious armor is too straightforward to warrant the sort of AC vs other stat thinking that kunark armor makes you decide between?

9. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

Just that Velious armor has enough AC that you'd pass the cap pretty easily anyway.

Jugo! likes this.
  10. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Actually the softcaps don't depend on race, level, or skills. They only depend on (1) class and (2) AAs. The relevant AAs are combat stability and (I think) physical enhancement. CS (and possibly PE) raise the softcap through this line of code:
    Code:
    [ Only registered users can see the bbcode. Click Here To Register... ]
    I dunno where to find out what aabonuses.CombatStability does.

softcaps

warrior -- 430
    knight/cleric/bard -- 403
    ranger/shaman -- 375
    monk -- 315
    everyone else -- 350

A shield increases your softcap by the shield's displayed AC value. The shield must be of item type: shield. It must be worn in your secondary slot.

The returns on AC over the softcap only depend on (1) class and (2) level. Here they are, at levels 60 and 65.

overcap returns

warrior -- 20% at 60, 33.3% at 65
    knight -- 16.7% at 60, 25% at 65
    bard -- 12.5% at 60, 16.7% at 65
    ranger/beastlord -- 10% at 60, 14.3% at 65
    monk/rogue -- 5% at 60, 8.3% at 65
    everyone else -- 5% at 60, 5% at 65

Oiwon likes this.
  11. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Huh. Redoing this calculation with integer arithmetic, dodge modifiers actually do matter for pure casters (75 dodge skill). Here's the relevant code:
    Code:
    Without a dodge modifier, dodge_chance = floor(175 / 45) = floor(3.89) = 3%
    With a dodge modifier, dodge_chance = floor((175 + floor(175*dodge_mod/100)) / 45)

So 1% and 2% dodge mods change nothing for pure casters, but dodge mods of 3% or higher raise the dodge chance from 3% to 4%. Pretty cool.

12. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

That code is out of date. I had that wrong. The fixed line is:

softcap += aabonuses.CombatStability * softcap / 100;

Combat Stability is a multiplier. Live EQ consolidated Innate Defense into that singular AA, and our code puts all AAs with that effect into that AA bonus variable.

Max pop era Combat Stability + Innate Defense + Physical Enhancement will grant the player 27% to their mit AC softcap, so multiply it by 1.27.

Pithy likes this.
  13. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Nice, thanks. I'd like to run the numbers for different classes/expansions. Would you mind sharing the percent increases for...
    • combat stability 1, 2, and 3 (I assume those are are 2, 5, and 10% like the AA window says)
    • physical enhancement (2%?)
    • innate defense 1-5 (3% for each level?)

14. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

Pithy likes this.
  15. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Nice, thanks.

16. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

With TAKP code and your old AK gear, looks like Ravenwing's mitigation score (including worn AC, buffs, defense skill, agility, AAs, shield, softcap, etc) would be about 510. Ryoku's would be 440. For reference, Bragon's would be about 830 and Illicit's would be about 770.

lawl @ monktwink

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  17. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Does the Combat Agility multiplier get applied before or after avoidance mods (which I guess we'll never see on TAKP) and agility are accounted for? I'm guessing after agility but before avoidance mods? So Client::GetAvoidance() might look something like...
    Code:
    Is that roughly accurate?

18. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

lol, buffing my crappy sub-softcap chanter with Bulwark of Faith (as opposed to just HB and shielding) increases his mitigation score by like 20%. time to add another buff to the refresh rotation, fml

19. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Can anyone give me a rough idea of a typical Velious raid mob's accuracy and attack ratings? Or better yet, how they range, say, from HoT trash at the low end to AoW at the high end? I believe accuracy and attack are mob database parameters, but I don't know where to find them in the old public source. I'm just trying to understand how avoidance and mitigation affect miss rates and damage taken.

20. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

After agility for sure, as my parses on Live indicate. I would have to produce some long logs to try and test for the mods, as I tried to make logs without mods and don't have any already made to check for it. I really don't see the need to do that however since we won't have avoidance modifiers.

To-hit would be the accuracy. My eqemulator.org thread shows what that would be for the vast majority of NPCs in the game. Most raid bosses even have those predictable values. Kael raid bosses and Rallos Zek in Drunder had very large to-hit/accuracy mods however. Kael bosses parsed at about double the typical to-hit value for their level. (typical being 660 or so) Rallos Zek in Drunder had about triple the typical to-hit. I'm still parsing raid boss combat stats so I don't have a long list yet. These logs are very time consuming to produce.

Atk/offense values for most NPCs can also be found in my thread. These are less consistent as an NPC's strength value affects this and Sony world builders seemed to give NPCs different strength values. For a common level 60 NPC, it's about 400. Velious raid bosses seem to have around 450, sometimes higher. Again Kael bosses parsed higher. The estimate I got for the AoW was ~650.

Mambo, Pithy, Lenas and 1 other person like this.
  21. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Super helpful, thanks again Torven.

22. Jugo!

Jugo! People Like Me

Out of curosity, is Shielding (of the magi) also, another 20% to cloth mitigation (before Bulwark)? I already use shielding fairly often, especially when I think I'll want the MR (VP) but was wondering if the mitigation is worth ignoring HoS (and maybe even Focus) for.
    (I just realized Shamans also get an AC line, FML too)

23. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

I think the choice is between SotM and Kragg, which is over 100 hp more than either HoS or SotM. HoS doesn't really have anything to recommend it to casters.

I would imagine Kragg to be the better option in most situations, but who knows.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  24. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Strength buff

Coin be heavy

25. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

Typical Velious raid boss offense was actually around 500. Their mitigation value is around 450. Had them mixed up in my head.

26. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Hi again! I'm trying to understand how warriors' defensive and evasive disciplines work. I think defensive is pretty straightforward: it changes the damage taken when a mob lands a hit from DB + N*DI to DB + N*DI/2. Here DB is the mob's damage bonus, DI is its damage interval, and N is a random integer between 1 and 20 whose distribution depends on the tank's mitigation and the mob's offense.

I'm not so clear on evasive. Initially I'd have guessed it was implemented as a percent multiplier to the tank's avoidance, but apparently not. I'm looking at lines 184-224 here of the last open source version. If I'm reading that correctly (and assuming the attacker has no hit chance bonuses and the defender has no item or AA avoidance chance bonuses), it makes the mob automatically miss the tank if defender->spellbonuses.AvoidMeleeChanceEffect exceeds a random number between 1 and 100. Otherwise, it continues with the normal miss check.

Is that code up to date? Can anyone tell me what the AvoidMeleeChanceEffect from evasive is, or where I can find that information?

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  27. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

We have it set at 15%.

Pithy likes this.
  28. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Cool, thanks Torven.

29. Synthetix

Synthetix Well-Known Member

Old Wikis state this: "For instance, where the Evasive Discipline allows a warrior to be hit by his opponent less by a factor of 35%, the warrior will also hit his target less, but only by a factor of 15%. Verant has stated that, in the interest of exploration, further formulae will not be provided."
    Source: http://eqc.wikidot.com/disciplines

This is old, was it changed from 35% to 15% when Sony took over?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  30. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Well, 15% returned by AvoidMeleeChanceEffect does not translate directly into a 15% increased miss rate. It's more complicated than that. I haven't really dug into it yet but I'm guessing Torven researched and tested it extremely rigorously as is his habit.