Where is the server at?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Albel, Apr 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albel

Albel New Member

Hey i was interested in joining this server but i'm curious as to where the servers progression is at currently.

2. souske

souske Well-Known Member

3. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

Playable up to Kunark.
    Heavy work has been done in Velious and still is being done.
    As usual our team makes sure every possible detail we can cover is accurate before a release.
    Nothing worse than a unbalanced top end due to bugs or inaccurate content that was taken advantage of or unnecessarily hard on release.

Elrontaur, Neopolitan and Verdent like this.
  4. Neopolitan

Neopolitan Member

Subtle ;)

5. Pepper

Pepper New Member

No, not subtle at all.

Why not just focus on building your game and creating a FRIENDLY atmosphere?

6. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Probably the constant criticism, as to why we are not releasing content faster. An expansion a year is the goal. Maybe faster if things go well and fall into place. Its a bit more work creating all the zone spawns based on AK packet captures. I guess if we just copied peq db, it would be faster. But then it wouldn't be a preservation of AK project.

Its very obvious to some where the progression of the server is. Thats listed in various places. But not everyone knows where to look.

Thanks.

Have a nice day.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    Elrontaur likes this.
  7. Speedz

Where in the world are you guys makin this up from?
    It was my personal belief that we released Classic and Kunark too early.
    This is my way of conveying that each expansion we learn something and try to make sure things improve with each release.

The only ones creating the unfriendly air are those that read too much or wrongly into things said.

Edit: Also 1 post under your name and no game login for 5 months.
    Please tell me who is making the unfriendly atmosphere again?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    Damasus likes this.
  8. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

Hah! I thought you were referring to Al'Kabor itself. Until Hobart did a few zone updates very late in the server's life, we had pretty much the version of PoP that went live in November of 2002. It was ... less than complete, when it came to the EPs and Time.

Xegony didn't have any adds, which made her essentially a low-end VT boss. On the other hand, everything in the front section of PoEb was on 7-minute Rathe time, the Rathe Councilmen didn't lose DPS as their hitpoints went down, and Quarm had a 300' range unresistable AE stun.

Linkamus and Elrontaur like this.
  9. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

I was actually poking around a few nights ago...

On Al'Kabor I made a variety of hotkeys and copy/pasted the hotkeys onto every character UI file I had. Basically each hotkey would list the loot dropped by each raid mob we commonly killed.

So Page 10 of my hotkeys had Phase 1,2,3,TT,Saryrn,TZ,VZ,CT,Inny,Bertox,RZ,Quarm.

I was checking out some of the links and we have the post-upgrade versions of all of these items in our database.

For example the Quarm ring had Eternal Ward clicky, when on Al'Kabor it didn't. Tons of other items had FT or ATK focus effects they didn't have on AK also. The Phase 2 Earring was all/all when on Al'Kabor it was Hybrid only. Among many other examples. Temerity had a big list of all the merged versions of PoTime items we had.

I know this is way down the line but I'm curious where our item DB came from? I think ours was limited to the same item IDs the Al'Kabor one was limited to, which is why many newbie armor pieces can't work, the item IDs simply don't exist in our DB.

Is ours most of the same items with the values being stock values (not specific to Al'Kabor?)

This is a question of genuine ignorance, I dunno how our item DB was obtained or reconstructed or whatever jiggerypokery and pure applesauce you Devs conjured up for our server. Honestly I think this is the first inconsistency I've stumbled across, which is impressive considering how massive the first two expansions are, and how far out the items in question are.

10. Pepper

Pepper New Member

5 months? Look again.

Not sure why you are attacking me. I quoted Neopolitan's subtle wink. You didn't find it offensive when he made an insinuation.

Would you like to hear about my experience on the server? Probably not. I had (or have) no allegiance to anyone when I started playing on an Al'Kabor emulator. In fact, I didn't even know what Al'Kabor was.

11. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

In our struct from the client. Item id is an int16 which mean it can hold up to 32767 maximum. the data type int16 has a range from -32767 to +32767. Obvisouly SOE doesn't use neg value for Item ID. Early in our development we were using an uint16 which would go up to 65535 maximum. But the client doesn't allow anything pass 32767 and it would spit out a message that it's a bogus item hence it's why we figured out that it's an int and not an uint.

here's a reference to what the data type ranges are: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/s3f49ktz.aspx

which explains why some items didn't exist in PoTime such as the armor quest drop. and the newbie armor. We will eventually have to use an un-used item id in our database and import it over.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    Neealana likes this.
  12. Speedz

You are correct. I was looking at the wrong field.
    2 weeks on your most recent and nothing sooner than a month on the rest.
    Point still stands, not as much activity as many, and your first post was a jab at the server builders.

Still, you quoted no one, and the core of your post was aimed at "building the server"
    Which happens to be where Haynar and I are a part of.

I did happen to say "You guys" along with quoting you.
    Either way, it was a strange insinuation on your part.

13. Speedz

Darcon: In addition to what rob said, much of the items are based on eqemu/PEQ.
    I "think" the team mindset fits the narrative that we would change our loot to match AK.
    It would take a ton of work and research to make sure that it is all correct.

I think that would be an interesting task to accomplish.

14. robregen

We also collect over 6000 items packet from AK so we do have some from that.

15. robregen

Darchon, do you guys still have that list?

16. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

Copy-pasting from the Tem boards (credit originally to Darchon for a lot of the legwork on this list!):

P2
    ID - 21999 - Hoop of the Enlightened - hybrid/bard only on AK
    ID - 27990 - Gauntlets of Disruption - was missing Aura of Bravery (+30 atk +3 regen)
    ID - 68217 - Ossein of Limitless Time - did not exist.
    ID - 68199 - Timeless Coral Greatsword - did not exist.

P3
    ID - 21994 -Protective Sleeves - missing Corporeal Fury (+25 atk +5 regen)
    ID - 13638 - Pauldrons of Purity - missing FT3
    ID - 5760 - Earring of Xaoth Kor - missing Vengeance III (+15 atk)
    ID - 29174 - Mask of Strategic Insight - missing Vengeance V (+25 atk)

P4
    ID - 21995 -Armguards of the Brute - missing Faerune
    ID - 28658 - Mantle of Deadly Precision - Missing Vengeance IV (+20 atk)
    ID - 26994 - Ring of Evasion - missing FT3, was priest-only instead of priests/int casters
    ID - 28663 - Runewarded Belt - missing Aura of Bravery (+30 atk +3 regen)
    ID - 28667 - Bracer of Precision - missing Vengeance IV (+20 atk)
    ID - 21998 - Cape of Endless Torment - had has FT IV instead of FT VI
    ID - 26996 - Gloves of the Unseen - missing Conservation of Xegony
    ID - 26799 - Globe of Mystical Protection - missing Composure (+3 mana regen + 3 hp regen)
    ID - 26988 - Winged Stormboots - missing Faerune
    ID - 26986 - Shoes of Fleeting Fury - missing Faerune
    ID - 68195 - Circlet of Flowing Time - did not exist
    ID - 68197 - Temporal Chainmail Sleeves - did not exist

P5
    ID - 8977 - Collar of Catastrophe - had Vengeance IV instead of Vengeance VI
    ID - 26993 - Pulsing Onyx Ring - missing FT3
    ID - 28651 - Leggings of Furious Might - missing Aura of Daring
    ID - 25995 - Boots of Despair - missing Vengeance V
    ID - 15927 - Belt of Temporal Bindings - missing +8 hp regen (unsure of effect name)
    ID - 26980 - Earring of Unseen Horrors - missing Quickening of Mithaniel
    ID - 28665 - Zealot's Spiked Bracer - missing Composure (+3 mana regen + 3 hp regen)
    ID - 28650 - Greaves of Furious Might - missing Aura of Daring
    ID - 31603 - Girdle of Stability - had Vengeance V instead of Aura of Bravery
    ID - 68198 - Bracer of Timeless Rage - did not exist
    ID - 28246 - Gloves of Airy Mists - missing Aura of Bravery
    ID - 27274 - Barrier of Freezing Winds - missing +7 hp regen (unsure of effect name)
    ID - 28659 - Pauldrons of Devastation - missing Vengeance V (+25 atk)
    ID - 15824 - Platinum Cloak of War - missing Aura of Daring
    ID - 28652 - Pants of Furious Might - missing Aura of Daring
    ID - 68196 - Sandals of Empowerment - did not exist

Quarm
    ID - 15805 - Shroud of Eternity - missing Chromatic Chaos (+5 regen +5 atk +5 damage shield)
    ID - 26989 - Prismatic Ring of Resistance - missing Eternal Ward (clicky effect = +45 ac +15 to all resists)
    ID - 28649 - Ethereal Silk Leggings missing +10 hp regen (unsure of effect name)

Broken effects:
    ID - 20508 - Symbol of Ancient Summoning - pet focus produced a suiciding "doug" model pet
    ID - 24573 - Timerspinner, Blade of the Hunter - proc (Call of the Tempest) produced a suiciding "doug" model pet

There were also some stat differences, though, and I don't know if anybody ever compiled them. I think they're visible in Lucy's item history, though.

17. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

Oh, also, all the time BP combines were broken (produced junk items from LoY!) because the items didn't exist, but that, along with the two broken focus effects that produced suiciding pets, seems like a bug that should be fixed, rather than an era-related difference in loot.

18. robregen

thanks for the list. I'll go over them and remove those focus that weren't suppose to be in as well as fixing the stats.

19. robregen

yeah When I did the item clean up in our code. We inherited a lot of modern item stats from eqemu which didn't exist in our client. So the items we didn't collect from AK were to the best of my ability add the missing focus and removed those inherited attack, strikethrough, and other stuff that we got from PEQ Stock items. Some information about what was in for that era was hard to find.

This list is helpful. thanks.

20. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

Somebody please explain to me why one would want the loot to be reverted to being broken, useless and bland, making the end-game zone much less rewarding.

Things like the horse bug or even shakerpaging have beneficial gameplay enhancing qualities. This seems like zealous ideology to me.

21. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

some of those items without the effects on them makes them less useful than EP gear. I realize it's still a long way off though. My guild beat quarm halfway through POP I think, and the ring already had eternal ward added to it, so I'm guessing the effects were added pretty shortly after PoP release.

22. robregen

I suppose we could leave them as it is. I was thinking more of accuracy and preservation to AK rather than what is rewarding that wasn't on AK. I'll leave this up for discussions.

23. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Could put an sql together for differences. One for AKish. And another for "fixed AK". That way someone could run whichever ver of sql for item versions they wanted.

24. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

Don't implement broken stuff. Fix it how AK should have been fixed(time gear)

Otherwise VT gear > Time

25. robregen

yeah I'm intending to fixed the broken stuff. but not sure about those that had missing focus effect. some of those were purposely left out.

26. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

Neat!

There were some rather interesting differences. One commonality I did see was the Bertox PoTime pet focus book didn't have a focus.

I seem to recall our only magician who got the book summoned Doug level 1 pets when it was equipped because AK's database didn't have the correct version of the focused up PoP pets in its database to draw from when summoning. So it's likely some hidden focus on the item.

On one hand, I am a grumpy old man and I want everyone to walk up the proverbial hill barefoot in the snow (crappy PoTime loot).

On the other hand... I remember how soul crushing it was to kill each PoTime God and get only 2 loots instead of 3, many of which lacked FT or ATK effects :/.

VT Gear itself was superior to PoTime gear in many respects due to the overall resists on VT gear. I opted to use a lot of VT gear over EP/Time gear due to this. Would've even with updated time stats.

-----

Honestly I'm rather indifferent to it, just thought I would mention it because it was something I noticed upon looking through item links.

27. Ravenwing

Ravenwing I Feel Loved

Torven makes a good point. We had that list of missing focus effects ready to go on the Tem forums because we expected Hobart was likely going to "fix" them.

Here's the thing about PoTime on Al'Kabor: the first guilds entered it in May of 2003. By that time, the first post-AK expansion, LoY, had already been out for nearly three months, and a lot had changed. So our PoTime was always something of a chimera, and there'll be a lot to talk about - not just loot - when the devs start looking at the zone and making decisions about PoP more generally on TAKP.

As far as the loot goes, there was a lot of tweaking, over a long period of time. Most of the 'mod2' effects - strikethrough, shielding, et cetera; would our client even support these effects? - were added in late May, just a few weeks after the zone was first entered. Many of the "conventional" foci and stat adjustments (improvements) were made two months later, in July, and even more in November. Others don't seem to have been added until 2004, or even 2005.

On balance, I think I agree with Torven that reverting *everything* to its AK state would make the zone disappointing. I don't know if that means the best answer is to go "full modern," to pick some cut-off date and add in the stats and focus effects appropriate to that time, or to look at Time loot from a balance and gameplay perspective. I'm sure whatever the devs decide, when the time comes, will be fine.

28. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

I think it has to be an item by item basis. Some of the additional foci that only existed in time (prior to GoD) might not be appropriate - but having the focus effect work on the mage book would be a great start. The appropriate number of drops per god. Perhaps instancing time so people farming P1 for loots (even though tem didn't allow it for no good reason, most others will probably want to farm p1) don't screw up raids. Our time needs fixing and tweaking - but that's so far out.

EDIT - Put jeldorin back in. Seriously wtf.

29. robregen

These were all part of the struct and no our client won't support these. We would have to use focus effect in place of it.

30. Neopolitan

Neopolitan Member

My quote was referring to what I thought was a subtle jab at p99. No way was I trying to jab the development process here. Keep up the good work.

The community is solid here and that's key to building a strong population.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.