Bazaar at the expense of pok books

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lenas, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

greater faydark spire would probably be the easiest, since newbs can use kaladim or steamfont book and make a quick run to it.

2. Yinn Yang

Yinn Yang People Like Me

I ran from Freeport to Qeynos at level 8 or 9 to meet a friend when I first started EQ (long before PoK or Nexus). I died once, in WK of all places... but it's one of my favorite memories. Books and spires should be viewed as a luxury, imho.

3. Ghakim

Ghakim Well-Known Member

Personally not interested in playing Travelquest and I don't view the PoK books as a luxury. Without PoK I think this server would have a very fragmented community.

I'm fine with this compromise but probably won't use bazaar much unless there is a book to it.

Would be interested to see if this helps to stimulate the economy on this server. Not convinced that it will.

Bumloots did sell some good items but they have mostly been picked through. It was nice of him to try to get the economy going.

I personally would not sell any "good items" so I'm part of the problem. Will not farm good items to sell because nothing to buy. I give "good items" that I can't use away to guildies because nothing to buy. It's a pretty vicious cycle. Maybe Bazaar will help.

The chance that an ODS/AON/WDC/COF/RBB/RBG/Fungi ect ect ect being sold for plat is next to zero on this server currently. It is possible they could be traded one for another. Bazaar won't help that.

Probably need another 200 actual people on the server for there to be an economy.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  4. Teholb

Teholb Member

I, for one, will be using the bazaar. Maybe high-end players in raid guilds who have access to large quantities of raid loot wont benefit much, but you're ignoring everyone else.
    There is a huge difference between being handed items, and actually farming up the plat to buy them. The satisfaction when I bought my 55HP/5ac rings and my Ykeshan War Clubs from Bum was immense.

If more people had a convenient way to put their items up for sale, I'm sure they would. The economy can't start unless people actually sell stuff, and this is the first step. This will also help with population, imo, as newbs will be able to "participate."

drktmplr12 likes this.
  5. drktmplr12

drktmplr12 Member

Can someone explain what Nexus end point zone refers to? Are these places you may only travel to from Nexus?

6. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

A zone with a nexus spire/scion, which also has a PoK book.

Tough to get nerds to speak in English sometimes.

drktmplr12 likes this.
  7. drktmplr12

drktmplr12 Member

An example would be Gfay, correct?

8. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Yes. Greater Faydark, N. Karana, Tox forest, Great Divide, DreadLands are the places with spires.

drktmplr12 likes this.
  9. Yinn Yang

Yinn Yang People Like Me

So it's really just the Kelethin book (because of GFay spires) and the Erudin/Paineel books (because of Tox spires) that will be inactive. We don't have GD yet and DL/NK don't have books.

And incidentally, I would definitely use the Bazaar. I found that aspect of the game rather fun, but I understand that not everyone does. It is linked directly to the Nexus, so that's easy enough (assuming the Nexus stone in PoK is active). But, in a way, there are Nexus spires in the Nexus, so maybe book there inactive also? Could make travel to the Bazaar a bit tedious... but I'd still go, on ocassion. Quickest route to Bazaar would be Ak'anon stone to Steamfont and the Nexus spire in GFay, I suppose.

10. surron

surron People Like Me

which my suggestion above about waiting until velious and doing it to the GD book makes the most sense.

you dont hurt noobs and the devs still get their adequate testing (which shouldnt happen in production anyways)

11. surron

surron People Like Me

great input but I believe PoK books help out the population more.

12. Trybil

Trybil Member

I like this idea. Between new Nexus and remaining PoK books, you will still be able to port everywhere, so not much of a downside. As a newish returning player (level 41 main), I yearn for a better way to shop!

13. benoeb

benoeb People Like Me

In a normal situation it shouldn't happen, but it wouldnt happen if people were playing on the Dev server where things like this would normally be tested. In order for it to be tested the Devs needed to bring it to the masses since there is no one to test thest things on the Dev server.

Seems kinda like a no brainer.

Lenas likes this.
  14. Speedz

Speedz Administrator Staff Member

Dev server is now default status of 80 with a few helper commands for testing.
    Only hold up now is the ease to switch servers.

right now for both clients PC and OSX you have to change your eqhost.txt to point to .org

For mac additionally you need to make a new launch script or how ever you launch the game with the new account info.
    I am currently making a whole new launcher for OSX that makes this process easy.
    It will be much like a standard login front that we are somewhat used to, but with many added features.

Dev is open accounts. No forum access needed. No account limits, no cheat restrictions etc..

surron likes this.
  15. Stamm

Stamm Member

Funny, I did a similar thing as a newbie level 11 (bad time to do it) except I ran from GFay to Qeynos and I died many times, particularly in Runneyeye and Kithicor. Kithicor was the funniest, because I walked right through the middle of the zone at night, not realizing the danger. I recall seeing a few skeletons in the distance and thought that I didn't want to go over there, so I went inside one of those log houses for safety (which of course aren't safe at all) BAM. dead. Also, I didn't bind at a more convenient location, so the CR's were painfully long.

Regarding this topic of PoK books being taken away and Bazaar added, it'll be interesting. I'll certainly use the bazaar and I won't miss the few deactivated books/stones very much. I don't like sitting around waiting for the spires to activate, and then realizing I forgot to ask for a crystal, but it's better than no bazaar.

16. Kagatob

Kagatob People Like Me

Terrible plan. Other people in this thread have already stated the reasons why.

17. Ghakim

Ghakim Well-Known Member

There is no doubt Bazaar can only help economy.

I am not ignoring everyone else I am just speaking from the perspective of someone who is established on this server.

On p99 plat can buy all the high end kunark items, dragon loot, AoNs, Puppet Strings, all the epic MQs, ect ect. This is because plat has value and plat has value simply because plat can be exchanged for all those end game items.

They don't have a bazaar there but they do have a large population with lots of turn over and there is unfortunately a lot of RMT on that server which incidentally does make plat more valuable. I am not saying I want RMT or even condone it, I am really glad it's not on this server, I am just stating how things are.

Right now there are people auctioning newbie gear, loam gear, all kinds of random kunark weapons ect. It is already for sale. You don't need a bazaar to get those items from BumLoots or anyone else. Bazaar would make that transaction more convenient and you would have more people participating in it but I am not convinced those end game items are gonna be for sale because of /bazaar.

And without those end game items for sale plat is not valuable to established characters. This makes actually selling an end game item very dubious because you are trading something valuable for plat which isn't valuable. Vicious cycle continues.

But like I said Bazaar will only help.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    Ransom likes this.
  18. Sketchy

Sketchy People Like Me

Kelethin book disabled is eh, not a big deal. Erudin/Paineel one would really suck, given the popularity of the Hole. Either leaving all books enabled and let people test spires on their own, or wait until Velious for GD could work too. Just enable bazaar, leave books alone. This gets complicated and it is kinda annoying to explain to new players the artificial limits of the server.

19. Trybil

Trybil Member

Or how about add Nexus/Bazaar and permanently disable the spires? Would be simpler and avoid need for testing. Would anyone mind?

20. Rivthis

Rivthis New Member

Bazaar is great, whatever it takes to get it running will help this server a lot.

21. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

or how about just add the spire and permenently disabled bazaar? Well everything needs testing to be functional whether anyone is going to ever use it or not. It's about making the game more complete and not making half ass for conveniences.

benoeb likes this.
  22. Kagatob

Kagatob People Like Me

We have PoK on this server, There is a PoK book to the Nexus which will take players to the bazaar. Any server that has access to the PoK books will never, ever use the nexus spires anyway.

There is literally no good reason to even suggest this.

Tesadar, Stamm and Elrontaur like this.
  23. Trybil

Trybil Member

I was trying to be practical, but I now understand your dedication to preserving the original game. Bravo and thanks for your efforts; whatever the Devs decide I will appreciate and enjoy.

24. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

I used them when i started on AK to go to karana because i didnt have a porter. Which may be more common here as the 3 box limit can do that.

Ransom likes this.
  25. Yinn Yang

Yinn Yang People Like Me

Not entirely true. On AK, as a non-caster class, I used the Nexus spires for 2 things: getting to the Karanas quickly (when I could not get a ride), and getting to the hidden valley area of Dreadlands. Was great for those instances. Things are different when you don't have a druid around. The time waiting for the spires was always a great food or coffee break.

Stamm, Elroz, Ransom and 1 other person like this.
  26. Elcid

Elcid Member

Here's a question.... WHEN?

27. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Spires/nexus not coded.

Bazaar not tested totally yet.

Timeline probably more dependent on level of nerdrage at this point.

I am working on getting the raid interface all ready to use. Its probably at 80% done. Not working baz or spires.

Still plenty of time to level a druid or wiz for ports though.

benoeb and Elrontaur like this.
  28. Elroz

Elroz I Feel Loved Staff Member

i think this has me happier than the bazaar, but they're both awesome so idk what to do. Form a raid and port up to nexus via scion?

29. Elrontaur

Elrontaur People Like Me

The reality is that AK had a working Bazaar, Nexus, and associated PoK book. Can't we just turn those things on and not mess with the success of using PoK books in their current form?

Tesadar and surron like this.
  30. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

AK did have PoK upon release. For those that started playing on it, this is a rough change and needs to be considered seriously, even if its only a temporary change.

Like I said earlier, I'm fine with it, but I also started on PC back during the Velious days.

I would imagine that the Bazaar needs much more testing done than the spires. So another idea would be that we could disable the spires until sometime after Velious is released, but enable the Bazaar immediately once its stable enough. Bazaar would be in beta until Luclin completely releases. I'd rather have a rock solid Bazaar than spires and as others mentioned, the more we deviate from the standard ruleset (even temporarily), the more we are going to scare off true newbies.

Someone mentioned that on AK, you simply wouldn't use the spires and that's the truth. No one is going to if PoK books are ingame. Why wait 15 minutes (or whatever it was) when you don't have to. If you want to funnel more traffic into the Nexus and Bazaar, than switch incoming PoK books from cities to point to the Nexus for a while. Its much less an inconvenience than hampering PoK traffic altogether by disabling a number of PoK books.