PoP zone access

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by necra, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Adding custom no exp zone = no poj open early

2. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Was just a suggestion.

250+ toons in that zone is a bit much for how small it is.

3. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Zone will be fun with 250+

I think it will be way worse that that though.

My recommendation is for the raiding guilds, to divide up the trials. Leave easy one maybe as FFA. That way you can get organized, and not flood the zone, and make it unplayable. Because then everyone loses.

4. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

IMG_20210929_080500.jpg

When we buying more RAM for the server?

necra likes this.
  5. robregen

robregen Administrator Staff Member

We have enough ram as is.

6. gardnerjens

gardnerjens People Like Me

pretty sure the Server is a single thread, so it is easy to saturate the amount of Ram needed, due to OS.

One could argue that we could have everything in Redis rather then Mysql, but dont know how much you would win

7. Palski

Palski Member

This seems like a fair idea. Or maybe even switch every day or so that we each control a different trial for a small amount of time and each guild can control each one. This way the difficulty is the same for all ( if there even is different difficulties. I honestly don't remember )

8. Torven

Torven I Feel Loved

If you want to sit in that room all night and let the wiser players outlevel you in tier 1 zones then that's your choice. Heck you can even get spectrals in tier 1 zones. Of course I don't think there will be much waiting anyway, assuming we launch in the morning. (no idea when we will)

Only the raid guilds going after Aerin`Dar and first in rotaton for BoT flags even needs the trial flag on day one. Other guilds have Behemoth, Terris and Grummus to go after and the Grummus guild can level in CoD plus the Behemoth guild can level in Tactics which are arguably better zones to exp in. The obsession over PoValor makes no sense. Valor ain't gonna be great exp with 100 people there. Valor is probably the WORST zone in the entire expac for parchment drops! Why level there?

One reason I'm so against opening certain zones early is simply because we have a lot of players who have never seen PoP before, and I'd rather they have a more 'genuine' expansion launch. Also I think it's entirely unnecessary.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  9. robregen

Can always limit the number of players that can entered the zone if that becomes an issue.

10. Darchon

Darchon I Feel Loved

I understand this response. I do think the PoJustice roadblock will blow over in under a week.

I do think that TAKP 2.0 or some future server that has our code/database with a more accurate timeline would provide a better PoP expansion launch experience. With us having been in Luclin for 2.5 years and 5 guilds farming Vex Thal weekly many having max AA or effective max of everything useful, the PoP experience will be vastly different. I suppose the launch we have will be a decent experience for those new to PoP but it will be a unique one due to how top heavy the server has become since launching in 2016. Personally I don't see any harm doing an advance access to Justice for a week or two prior to full PoP opening up but I can definitely see why the staff would not favor such a change!

11. Mokli

Mokli I Feel Loved

Do the EQ live thing, instances!

12. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

it's been over 3 years pal, our first Luclin raid was July 2018 ^_^

13. showstring

showstring I Feel Loved

wasn't there an issue just a few days ago due to running out of memory cache or something like that? sorry I don't have technical details

would more RAM , or more other server resources help in this case?

surely more RAM or more CPU is always welcome...

If my servers are running at 50% load then I usually try to give them more resources. Ideally you would be at like 20-30% usage normally.
    I can see TAKP is running at around 40-60% CPU utilisation at around 6pm which seems very high, and more than half the RAM is used between 'used' and 'cached'. This is with only 250 chars online atm

I can see a LOT of cpu interrupts/sec and memory page faults happening.

upload_2021-9-29_11-27-30.png

upload_2021-9-29_11-36-25.png

upload_2021-9-29_11-36-54.png

upload_2021-9-29_11-37-14.png

I'd say doubling/tripling of CPU and doubling RAM would be quite nice here, but I don't want to tell you how to run your stuff...

sorry if I'm mis-interpreting anything with the linux server stats

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  14. Cadsuane

Cadsuane People Like Me

You can do that even with no dev intervention ;) set 100% AA and don't bother rushing the flag events.

15. Yaximus

Yaximus Member

I could. However, the phased approach may address the concerns people are having regarding bottlenecks and ensuing drama.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  16. robregen

the cache can be cleared without shutting the server down. we have ran the server without the cache being bloated up for the 2 weeks interval.

showstring likes this.
  17. Placer

Placer Well-Known Member

Either a tiered release or a pre-launch for POJ would definitely make things better. Though I'm not really sure that isn't just a partial solution to a problem we don't need to have. The prevailing argument for not allowing the levels based access that PoP had for nearly all of AK's life seems to be this: it will encourage players to access content they might otherwise skip.

That is absolutely true. I can't argue it. But the devs don't really seem to be the ones saying that is the reason why it is happening. I actually thought the reason was so they could get most of the content in while not having to worry about putting in Time. But if that were the case, it'd be very close to ready now and didn't sound like the case in recent conversations. No matter how good the raiding guild(s) may be, there would still be many months of delay before anyone could go from PoP opening to Time raids. Even under the old AK rule set that would be the case. So giving the devs more time to fine tune doesn't seem to be it either.

The thing is, if its about experiencing more tier 1 content, that is ultimately going to be felt most by the people who wont be getting trials: untagged, family guilds, and less raid oriented members of those guilds. They wont be able to access the zones, have the BiS gear, etc... to make a trial as trivial and quick as others would make it out to be. We have literal families playing together who might have that one night a week to join up. They could try and wait in a line for a trial and maybe they get a chance. But they'd probably need a few tries at it and I don't envy them the grief they might get when some boxer is trying to tag their Xth alt. That creates a false choice really in some cases to hide away in some corner of a tier 1 in order to have something to do without getting in the way of others.

PoP was a far more democratic system than Luclin was by a long shot and I personally love that about it. The raids were less about crazy hps and player stamina than about strategy. The content was more far reaching and accessible to all. We had "BoT Mondays" for the longest time. All it took was being 62 and we could enjoy the zone (sometimes another) and some groupable to small raid content depending on how many showed up. Old players could just show up and join. Isn't that ultimately the point of a game? Sony didn't take this one out to nerf the game; it was about accessibility. It doesn't keep players who don't belong out, it keeps players who do belong out. We have all waited just as long.

18. surron

surron People Like Me

mysql will reserve all the allocated memory for the innodb_buffer_size on startup - so those ram stats are misleading

Beaaden and showstring like this.