Trio Recomendation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thantoas, Dec 28, 2016.

1. thantoas

thantoas Member

Hello All!

I have a request for advice. I am coming up with my original trio. So far i I have leveled a chanter, shammy,mage, and necro to @20.

Who is the odd man out? Am i missing some awesome symmetry by ignoring some other class?

Being new and lacking twink funds, the Mage has been amazing. EVERY combination seems to go faster with his pets providing dps. But i remember mages sucking when i played EQ. So I am wondering if i should ditch him now, or just use his great DPS to pave the way for the other toons. I dont think ill find any other class that gives off the (pet) damage he does with no gear.

The Necro is the char i always wanted to play the first time around, but never made. I am certain i want him in the group.

The Shammy and the chanter have some overlap. Both can haste, both can Slow. I feel like the shammys heal might come in super handy at some point, but so would the chanters crowd control and crack.

How do shammy and necro Dots stack?

Will the Mage water pet Rival the Necro pet when it come to backstab damage while fear kiting?

When i decide to level something else up, with the Chanter with Rune and DS make a batter PLer than Shammy with haste an regen?

Thanks in advance for all advice

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  2. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

I was doing enchanter, Mag, clr but was getting a little bored. Adding a melee (ranger) and taking out the Mage greatly increased my fun factor, plus snare. But I guess it's relative. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    Mambo likes this.
  3. Dane

Dane People Like Me

To be honest, the odd man out in that trio is the necro, but if that's what you're interested in playing then definitely stick with it. Mages are OP and will remain so until PoP. Mage pets > Necro pets.

Necro and Shaman DoTs stack, but i'm not sure how many DoTs you'll be throwing out with him as your primary healer. Also, a properly played Shaman is an ultra active class and nearly impossible to trio with the amount of canni dancing or canni gunning required. But many people box a shaman and play them at a sub-optimal level. Though usually with melee groups so the buffs have more of an impact.

If you're going for min/max, my opinion is that Mage, Cleric, Chanter is the best trio. But that's just my opinion. Having fun playing what you want is the most important thing, and diversification is good for the server!

Ransom likes this.
  4. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

Without a pacify spell from an enchanter, cleric, bard or paladin, pulls indoors will be tough. The necro has undead pacify, but that is situational.

All dots stack here. Shaman + necro is a great duo, especially if you just want to root rot or fear kite.

I would worry less about overlap between classes and more about what you gain from having each class, and the amount of effort that class takes as a box.

Enchanter
    Gain: crowd control, charm dps, crack, slow on a non healer
    Effort: charm makes this your main box. If no charm, crowd control takes situational effort, otherwise a great easy box.

Shaman
    Gain: slow, buffs, heals, sow, regen
    Effort: relatively busy box

Mage
    Gain: dps, pet dps, COH (at 55), ds
    Effort: one of the easiest boxes

Cleric
    Gain: Rez, spell haste, best heals, pacify
    Effort: easy box

If I were you, I'd probably keep trucking with the shaman necro mage trio and quickly level to 50. At that point if you want to replace one or two of them, you have a shaman or mage to PL to 40 easily with heals and ds. You'd also have a good crew for farming.

Lenas likes this.
  5. Saskoris

Saskoris Active Member

Necro is a hard class to box in an optimized manner unless he/she is your main toon. They generally do best where every other box exists to optimize and support them.

Beaaden and Ransom like this.
  6. thantoas

thantoas Member

I appreciate all the replies!

This has been a very interesting journey down memory lane so far. The Shammy,Necro and Mage just now got to @30 , and a couple of truths have surfaced.

1. In groups that I am the healer, The Necro is a mana and health pump to keep the Shammy with mana to heal. I am not sure if its Shammys suck at healing before they get bigger heals, or....if thats just the nature of a shammy with out twink gear.

2. Mage pet is still the only thing that really shines with this trio.

3. Useing POK for 99% of your spells will leave huge holes in your spell line up.

4. This is not boring, nor does it really feel like a grind. The first trip up the ladder so to speak is still a fun and addicting thing. I have saved up about a grand in plat, I am trucking along with almost no gear other than what has dropped or was under 20 plat. The mage and necro still have on their starter robes and i think both still have starter daggers. I picked up around 5 or 6 20hp rings and spread them out among the 4 toons. The Shammy was given a really nice hammer and that has helped quite a bit, tho to be honest most of the time theses days he is medding.

I am off on vacation all of next week, I intend to try and put 5 to 8 hours a day in next week to push them as high as possible. I suppose we will see where the dust settles at the end of next week. If anyone happens to be in HHK next week and wants to toss me a rez (or 12) I am sure ill have a nice collection of bodies lying around.

7. Delorne

Delorne People Like Me

I've noticed that my shaman isn't really setting the healing world on fire, unless that is really the only thing I'm using his mana for. Trying to buff and debuff and heal is a difficult thing to manage with a small mana pool, which means you have to be real efficient with your cannibalize use, which means more time spent playing the shaman than playing the other boxes. I'm early days on my shaman as well, and I've really only been two-boxing him and the paladin.

I think your mage/necro/shaman crew sounds fun as hell. Pets galore with nukes, dots, and debuffs. The mage does get pet specific heals about on par with druid/shaman heals and the necro's mana battery utility will go through the roof in the 50s. I think you'll be able to accomplish a lot of real fun and challenging things with your setup.

8. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

Torpor is when shaman healing counts.

9. Dane

Dane People Like Me

Pro tip: go buy a Clawed Knuckle Ring from the bazaar. They are super cheap. Will result in less rebuffing on the shaman.

At that level, I wouldn't waste mana on slows and debuffs. Mobs don't hit hard enough or last long enough to make it mana efficient.

Shaman are arguably the best solo class in the game, and they provide a lot of utility with melee adps and slows. But being a main healer in a group that is killing/pulling at a fast pace requires a ton of maintenance Canni dancing or Canni gunning to really be optimal. Hard to do with a trio.

Necro is arguably the 2nd best solo class in the game, but 90% of the class' awesomeness is being wasted as a mana pump.

Not trying to pee in your Cheerios. You picked some awesome classes. But they don't have the best synergy in a standard group setting and its a really difficult trio to play optimally. All that really matters is you having fun though, and it sounds like you are!

10. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

I think the shaman mana issues resolve themselves around canni 3. Keep trucking!

Necro at 49 can heal incredibly. Work for your mage focus items and that pet gets even better.

At 34 shaman adds a pet and when you get chloro less healing is needed.

Remember you will be an awesome addition to any other 3 box due to your dps and utility.

11. Wilshire

Wilshire New Member

Sorry to resurrect another "whats the best trio" thread but I had a few questions if anyone cares to help me out.

I am leveling a mage/chanter/cleric and its been sort of fun so far, but a ton of work when it comes to getting into good situations for leveling or getting gear. I find myself relying on my mage pet so much, and its so easy to just let the pet tank and spank and cleric heal.

Eventually I want to do some harder group and multi group content in luclin and POP. I doubt I will ever have time for raiding, but I am interested in being a valuable member on a raid or maybe some open raids. I played a druid on al kabor and got pretty good at charming in POP and thats why I rolled a chanter to increase the possibliities.

I have access to a second Mac so once AAs come out I could potentially use it to single box a ranger and use some trick to auto fire without actually having ranger auto fire. Is this a viable option? Any thoughts on power leveling/twinking a ranger? I get that people say "just get out and play!" type of attitude, but I just don't have the time to play as much anymore and I would like to play some of the end game stuff and do things I haven't done before (everyone has done the grind... time and time again).

Also the lack of having Track has completely and utterly devastated my desire to try and complete any new epics that I haven't done before.

Wilshire criticals with all of text for 2000...

12. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

I started out with the exact same trio. It wasn't fun for me though. To relaxed so to say I guess. Adding a melee (ranger) made things so much more fun.

13. Fadetree

Fadetree People Like Me

I like Ranger, Druid, Chanter. Not the 'best' probably, but I like it a lot.

14. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

I assume you're looking to replace mage with Ranger?

Ranger / Cleric / Chanter is extremely versatile through all expansions. Through 60, ranger can tank with chanter charm (or pet if lazy) and cleric healing. With AM3/EQ chanter can pull/charm tank, cleric heals with ranger shooting arrows from a distance. This lasts through 65.

It's an awesome trio if you're looking to incorporate a ranger.