New Player!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tebriel, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Tebriel

Tebriel New Member

Hey guys, I just finished the Al'Kabor download last night and can't wait to get in-game! I've been playing some on P99, but with the overcrowding of all the decent camps and general scumbag nature of the raid scene, I decided to finally try out this server. I have a few questions before I get into the game tonight.

Which classes/races would you suggest for a new player to attempt to box? I see that the newbie quests are in-game for most races but not all, and being a new player it'd be nice to have those available to me.

What is the most-used levelling route on this server? I'd love to wind up seeing some other people to group up with along the way.

Which of the later expansion's zones are open now? I've seen that PoK and the Nexus and Bazaar are open, as well as the Vah Shir starting area.

Thanks guys, hope to see you in-game soon!

Tebriel

2. Faults

Faults I Feel Loved

levelling route hmm wfp (anywhere with plague rat tails; vendor for 1pp) - crushbone/fob - kurns - hhk gobs - sol a (or hhk guards) - kaesora/droga/sola - hhk nobles/hole/felwitheguards/neriakguards/seb/kc/solb

Play whatever is fun - the rest of the info already exists in the takp world, we are fond of those who educate themselves. Our allaclone will provide all spell location, merchant, and some mob data for you (the link is under takp resources). Magelo is an excellent stalking tool. /autojoin alliance if your client doesnt already will connect you to us.

If you wanna be like every hipster out there do like warrior/healer/slower.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    Khorpus likes this.
  3. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

Welcome! As far as classes and boxing go, the typical approach is to pick a main that sounds fun to you, then pick a box or two to support it. Examples: bard+wizard (the wizzy brings ports and burns), monk+shammy (classic), chanter+cleric (the cleric can heal and stun the charmpet), beastlord+druid, and so on. The options obviously expand if you add a third toon, but if you're new to boxing it might be more fun to just start with two.

4. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

Welcome to the server

5. Tebriel

Tebriel New Member

Thanks for the info guys. I think I am gonna go with a beastlord and a cleric box

6. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

That will work out Just fine. Somewhere in the forum is a list of zone experience modifiers. Handy. Also as a general rule the noob armour quests are not in for large races, so I think nothing will be available for your BST, but don't let that stop you. Plenty of low end gear around that will come for free or cheap and beat those quests.

7. Linkamus

Linkamus People Like Me

Keep an eye out in alliance and ooc in pok for people giving out free gear. Happens all the time!

8. Ransom

Ransom Well-Known Member

Beastlord and cleric is a solid choice. If you're really into min-maxing, make the cleric a dark elf and get the clicky clinging darkness necklace for snares.

I believe troll beastlord has newbie armor quests, not sure about the other race options. I went troll for the slick alligator pet. Hard to beat a gator pet!

9. Gumgak

Gumgak Active Member

Ogre bear. ;)

And yeah, BST/CLR is a great duo. That's what I started out with, but switched to BST/DRU for additional buffs/DS/ports/DMG, although sometimes wish I was still CLR for rez.

10. Tebriel

Tebriel New Member

I am going Vah Shir and High Elf. My old beastlord on live was Vah Shir, I just can't go any other way, although I did always like the iksar scaled wolf pets the most :D

Ransom likes this.
  11. Tuluvien

Tuluvien I Feel Loved

Yah Tunare!

12. benoeb

benoeb People Like Me

I hope you're ready to pay the high price of Vah Shir food consumption. I only made a vah shir for my bard because I had one on live, but now regret it because he is always running out of food. If I could do it over I would make a wood elf instead.

13. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

^^ Halfling has the same issue and I regret it

14. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

No thx on cat bst

Let me know if you have bst questions

-Lord Bumbum, King of the Beast

15. Tebriel

Tebriel New Member

Hopefully the food consumption won't be too much of an issue. Having a giant tiger doing my bidding has always appealed to me :D

16. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Just plan to have two bags filled with food/drink. Fill up in town. No biggie.

17. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

lolwut

1 slot for food
    1 slot for drink

my other inventory slots are too valuable to waste

18. Tebriel

Tebriel New Member

I'm in-game now slaughtering everything I can find in GFay around the newbie lift. Ahh nostalgia, and not fighting over every bat that spawns, so nice :) If anyone has any baby alts and wants to come join me, my characters are Sher and Khera!

19. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

True. Rangers can buy plenty while waiting on a rez. Some classes don't make it to town that often though. Good point.

delete, Dane, Mambo and 5 others like this.
  20. Pithy

Pithy I Feel Loved

make a mule on your trader account

fill it with fuzzlecutter's formula and deep cavern toadstools

restock hungry alts once a month

21. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

savage

22. benoeb

benoeb People Like Me

Whoa, while I ridicule my brother who plays a ranger even that comment made me cringe. Haynar just mowing 'em down tonight.

Mambo and Lenas like this.
  23. gardnerjens

gardnerjens People Like Me

I started off playing 3 wizards, my guild needed clerics so I rerolled 3 clerics.. I am waiting for the man that will box 3 enchanters or 3 necros

delete likes this.
  24. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Ya. But kinda commits me to taking a look at double dmg on perma-rooted mobs. Like soon.

First question. Should perma rooted mobs take double damage? I have not researched this.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  25. benoeb

benoeb People Like Me

26. cavedude

cavedude Administrator Staff Member

Oops! Sorry to step on your toes, I've fixed this one. We just needed to add a permarooted check :| Everything else looked right.

Lenas and sowislifesowislove like this.
  27. sowislifesowislove

sowislifesowislove People Like Me

the many many rangers on the server thank you!

28. Lenas

Lenas I Feel Loved

CD I could kiss u

29. Haynar

Haynar Administrator

Rangers.....

30. Bum

Bum I Feel Loved

The many rangers:

Nukem I have 3+ 60 necros or ench I could box if I wanted to.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    sowislifesowislove likes this.